Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree251Likes

Thread: Required to justify the number of firearms you own?

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Hamish that is exactly where they are wanting to go. In a number of European countires you can only own a small number of rifles ie 3 or 4. You also cannot own multipiles of a calibre, ie only one 7 08. You have to be able to justify the use like having written permission from a farmer to hunt their land. In Britain your ammo is licensed as well. There is a maximum number of rounds you can buy at one time and a maximum number you can have in your possession.
    You are being reasonable, but Police HQ is not, they are trying to chip away at firearms laws and slowly reduce your legal rights to own and use firearms.
    Don't forget how many Pom's have become part of our local constabulary out here over the last 10 years or so. This has greatly increased with NZ's favorable immigration balances over the last few years especially as we were struggling to fill front-line roles - Better Work stories anyone!

Guess they didn't like their local Toe-rags on the estate, so came out to play with ours!! and of course want it to feel like home... and bring all their local restrictions and obligations with them now they are moving into policy setting roles.

Don't get me started on what they've done to CAA - just ask a certain heli operator from the CNI whether its cricket when they take your bat and ball!!
    Bonecrusher, R93, Friwi and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Have we got a Woman police commissioner . As Ive only ever had to justify my guns to my mrs
    So far I haven't had to justify the number of guns to my wife.

I remember the look on her face when my son and I talked about rifles and she said "Rifles? You've got more than one?"

As an unlicensed person she doesn't have keys to the safes and doesn't know what's in them.
    gadgetman and matagouri like this.

Interesting thread, i've just renewed my licence and the guy tht inspected my security wanted to know how many i had. Was very insistent so i told him a couple. I have two safes and he said i think you have 10 so i'll put that down. Then he started to spout on about how bad semis were. I told him i dont see anything wrong with semis and he got a bit angry, not as impartial as he should be. I had a brother who died in Aus a few years ago, he had pistols and semis and the cops were frantic trying to find them. They collected all his ammo [lots] but the firearms were buried somewhere on the farms he worked on.Probably still there .

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Jandels, flip flops, thongs

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    See Hamish you answered the question as though it was a question from someone who wanted an answer. We that know Pengy as a fellah with the attention span of a retarded goldfish knew he would have forgotten the question before he hit the post button.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Slops and takkies!
    Is takkies short for Tactical foot wear?
    Spudattack likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Have we got a Woman police commissioner . As Ive only ever had to justify my guns to my mrs
    I only have to justify them to me.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I only have to justify them to me.
    Yes but the two of you can never make your mind up and you argue like buggery until you decide not to talk with one another
    Lentil and GravelBen like this.

Not sure if anyone else here mentioned it - but - if you have not disclosed ALL firearms with your 10 year Liecence renewal (pain in the ar-s it is) and "if" your house burns down, what about insurance on ALL your firarms that Police have no record of ??
    I gave them a compete update last year when I renewed FAL - only still had 1 from 10 year prior - but added 6 new ones

Huk
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    easy just have a 1 rimfire 1 shotty and one center fire in there when they inspect it
    Haha thats a good one

Hamish that is exactly where they are wanting to go. In a number of European countires you can only own a small number of rifles ie 3 or 4. You also cannot own multipiles of a calibre, ie only one 7 08. You have to be able to justify the use like having written permission from a farmer to hunt their land. In Britain your ammo is licensed as well. There is a maximum number of rounds you can buy at one time and a maximum number you can have in your possession.
    You are being reasonable, but Police HQ is not, they are trying to chip away at firearms laws and slowly reduce your legal rights to own and use firearms.
    Can see this being the start of whats said above, the chipping away of your rights with regards to firearms. As it is, they want you to justify how many you have WHEN they inspect your security, which in most cases will be only once every ten years unless you move in between. One day you may have one, the next you might have 20, so cant see how the police can justify discriminating against anyone if they have a few more than someone else (if thats the plan?) as anyone can have a number at any time and wont have to justify anything. I can see at some point in the future a limit on how many, and what Cals you may have unless you have a special permit from the police

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Not sure if anyone else here mentioned it - but - if you have not disclosed ALL firearms with your 10 year Liecence renewal (pain in the ar-s it is) and "if" your house burns down, what about insurance on ALL your firarms that Police have no record of ??
    I gave them a compete update last year when I renewed FAL - only still had 1 from 10 year prior - but added 6 new ones
    Hows it going to matter??? If at the renewal i have 1 rifle and disclose it , all good. If four weeks later i buy another 10 rifles theres no law i need to inform the police of the new ones is there. if the house burns down, and i have them insured, all good is it not
    tiroatedson, blake and Jexla like this.

Also had a separate licence for Shot Guns.(Smooth Bore ) Don't know what it's like now but it was major issue getting firearm certificate 30 years ago in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Yes but the two of you can never make your mind up and you argue like buggery until you decide not to talk with one another
    I had an argument with me years ago Rushy, and haven't spoken to myself since, as he sided with me. Now I just do what I want, and bugger me or myself.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

It's going to matter!
    There lining up to change the law!
    Simple as that, they have there bee in there bonnet over this and they can't sort out criminals with firearms!
    So attack the weakest link law abiding people. Then it makes them look like there doing something
    Don't Kidd yourselves IT MATTERS!
    veitnamcam, deer243 and Mooseman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryg View Post
    Also had a separate licence for Shot Guns.(Smooth Bore ) Don't know what it's like now but it was major issue getting firearm certificate 30 years ago in Scotland
    They even need one now for air rifles! For the love of god
    Shotgun license is not to bad to get this... "Its a right"!
    Firearms is harder you need to justify why you want one. Then you need to state which caliber.
    Now say you have a 308 you sell it. You can't buy another one you have to reapply for a new 308 ticket....oh you want a silencer you need a ticket for that two.
    So I imported my trueflite barrel from NZ need an export ticket from NZ.....but no import ticket into the uk as it had no chamber, so was not classed as a firearm untill it had been reamed.

Guys don't wait to get remmed! Get stuck into the MP's now!
    veitnamcam and norsk like this.