Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: rifle set ups

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Overstated? Me?
    I was taking the piss, until the "seriously though" bit.

I wear a belt and braces.
    Happy days, the joys of keyboard communication.

I don’t understand the belt and braces though sorry haha?

It’s marketing jargon that makes you think you need to sell your old Parker hale and buy a t3 and butcher it and add accessories to shoot a deer. Same like all the bullshit clothing companies etc geared up around hunting, if you can get a few instagrammers to wear fancy camo patterns and a chopped up rifle with stuff attached to it then you’ll get sales
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    The bush pigs still haven't shot as many deer as the cullers did with their 27" or what ever smle's. They seemed to manage in the tight stuff. How did they do that??

Its a trendy fad like not wearing a belt and having your jeans and undies around your arse.

Seriously though, 90% of the so called bush pigs probably never get into the trees properly - mainly shooting in the open and slips. Those that do go into the trees with success could probably use any length rifle.
    I do have a 18" 7-08 but cant think why I would need anything shorter.
    Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Slightly over stated I think @Tahr. They certainly managed ok but it was also all they had to use in that era and they didn’t have a big can hanging off the end. Quality suppressors requiring shorter barrels to re balance the ergonomics just weren’t a thing back then. It’s probably not very fair to compare the modern bush hunter with daily commitments to the talley of a professional culler.
    Yep as soon as suppressors became the norm, rifles with 22-24 inch barrels with long suppressors hanging off the end messed up balance and made them annoying long when carrying/stalking.

Only reason i cut the model 7 708 to 15" was due to it being a trademe purchase, when it arrived i discovered it had been left with suppressor fitted for an extended period. The outside of the S/S barrel was pitted to hell, so i decided if it was cut down to 15" it would get rid of most of it, with a dpt on it with only 2 baffles fitted its an awesome gun for Stewy Island trips.

I only really use my two stumpys when i get into the bush in the roar or at Stewy.

95% of my deer get shot with one gun, my M7 7saum which is 22" and i carry a dpt in my pack which i fit if making a long prone shot.
    caberslash likes this.

The name bushpig and superpig I think came from the NZ Hunter show/magazine (may have been a pimp your bush rifle series of articles).
    The superpig is usually slightly longer barrel and commonly in a bigger cartridge, also probably has a more powerful scope with the ability to dial.

Back in the day they were just called a carbine.
    Bagheera and GWH like this.

Back in the day, bushpigs were what some of the lads chased in town late at night….

Does it matter if it works?

Every one of us has different needs - I would hate to climb through the shit I often end up in with a 24" barrel. But I don't shoot more than a couple hundy metres. More like tens of.

But if I can have a legal length rifle that does what I need for much shorter and suppressed? Why not?

Yes, I could still do it louder and more awkward but personally would rather not.
    GWH, mikee, bumblefoot and 2 others like this.

Bushpig is the new name for what an old bugger like me called a "carbine"...

I tend to agree with preacher .
    I have my 2 go to rifles , the 308 16" bushy as the vast majority of my hunting is in tight , shitty local doc land and even with the shorter barrel you get tied up on every second bush (I hate blackberry and gorse with a passion !!) . Certain areas I don't even take a sling for the same reason and most shooting is done at max 30 mtrs .
    If I know I am going to an open area with no or minimal obstructions and longer range shooting out comes the 338 with it's looong barrel .
    born to hunt - forced to work

here's a spanner in the works- i love the idea of short pigs- always have , but and there's always a but, I'm so used to using rifles as a walking stick because of crappy knees that pigs are no good for me, I really dont like anything shorter than 20inch with a suppressor