Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Sako 85 Finnlight II

I'm a fan of the cerakote job, but the stock.. Looks a bit off to me

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post
    I'm a fan of the cerakote job, but the stock.. Looks a bit off to me
    It'll grow on you.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Yes I have thought about upgrading mine but haven't heard good things about the stock, mine is the earlier stock,
    this Fin 11 looks interesting, but need to see a price.
    We will be working on pricing over the next few days
    199p likes this.

OK so where does he Finnlight 2 stand relative to other Sako 85 models ?

Take as the benchmark the 85 SS which would be a standard current Sako model.
    There's one shown here, set up for hunting but also used for field target shooting: https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....-2018-a-38568/ it's good for open country and very nice to use but at 4.5 kg a bit on the heavy and long side for all round hunting in NZ.

The three key numbers are: barrel length, nominal weight (from sako.fi S/308 size action) and price. Features need discussion.

Sako 85 SS Bbl 510 Wt 2.8kg 20" with muzzle thread
    Sako 85 SS Bbl 570 Wt 2.9kg 22 1/2"
    Sako Finnlight 2 Bbl 515 Wt 2.8kg 20 1/4"
    Sako Carbonlight Bbl 515 Wt 2.4kg 20 1/4"

So, the Finnlight 2 would be a price point alternative to the carbonlight.
    It has the added features of adjustable cheek and cerakoting which would add to the weight.
    A standard 85 SS is available at the same nominal weight and barrel length as the Finnlight 2 and has the advantage that the barrel isn't fluted so can be further shortened and doesn't collect water and dirt.
    Tahr likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Any update on when Finnlight 2 rifles will be available in retail shops here?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I called Beretta and asked that question just a few days ago. The word from Chris was to expect them to be available in late August.

Thanks, did he mention a retail price?

I asked... he stated that they were yet to fix the price but the meeting with Hunting & Fishing was scheduled for the following day. This was a week ago so they may well have established what it will be by now. I thought it interesting that his comment implied that the price was entirely based upon what the Hunting & Fishing franchise thought the market would accept. I could be wrong, but that's what I came away thinking.

For me I see no justification to increase the price past where the current model sits. If this is "version 2" then you'd almost have to assume the current model will be phased out. I therefore see this as a "replacement" rather than another market entry point. You can't tell me that it's costing more to manufacture and both the EURO and the US are favourable so again there seems no justification to sell it for more. That said, I have no doubt it will retail for no less than $3700. I'd put money on it.

Your probably correct and as usual we will just get shafted by them.
    Those that buy that is.
    Wouldn't it be great if they did put a stupid price on it and nobody, no one at all bought one.
    planenutz likes this.

Yes you are wrong
    I am not the Chris you spoke to, but your dealer should be able to give you a buy price if you have them call and price it for you.

The original Finnlight is not being replaced. It is a new model intended to bridge the gap between the Finnlight and the Carbonlight. The new #2 has a fibreglass stock with carbon bedding area and an adjustable cheek piece, whereas the original Finnlight has a more traditional synthetic type stock. The new #2 is cerakoted stainless so should be fairly corrosion resistant.

Name:  IMG_3320 22.JPG
Views: 4574
Size:  1.01 MB
    kokako, BRADS, hotsoup and 1 others like this.

I like the look , I'll enquire about the cost
    Wildman and outdoorlad like this.

Please let us know how you get on @jakewire. My mate and I both quite like the look of the new stock but of course I'd want to see it in the flesh before parting with the moo-lah... and everything is price dependant.

I see GC are selling the Carbonlight for $4700 this week. Makes H&F look pretty sick.

Yes and they also have Bennelli's for 2K and Tikka T3x's for under 1380 amongst other things.

@DoubleShot

Why would you Ceracote a new stainless barrel? I know they aren't impervious to corrosion however simple cleaning techniques are all that is required to prevent it. Additionally, while I can understand the coating has a pretty good resilience to scratching surely it CAN be scratched and, once though to the stainless, wouldn't it peel easily? It just seems a strange move. I'm intrigued to know why Sako have done this. Can you enlighten me?

It looks nice, I'll give them that.

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    @DoubleShot

Why would you Ceracote a new stainless barrel? I know they aren't impervious to corrosion however simple cleaning techniques are all that is required to prevent it. Additionally, while I can understand the coating has a pretty good resilience to scratching surely it CAN be scratched and, once though to the stainless, wouldn't it peel easily? It just seems a strange move. I'm intrigued to know why Sako have done this. Can you enlighten me?

It looks nice, I'll give them that.
    It's cool and people need new things to spend their money on.
    199p, Mathias and ChrisW like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.