Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Sako 85 Finnlight II

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    My Howa Mountain rifle is lighter than this. And it shoots like a laser. And it cost 35% of this Finnlight 2.

The manufacturing cost and wholesale price of these ex-Finland into the Beretta dealers network would be interesting to know. Some marketing fellas have certainly made an interesting call on the value of the brands Sako and Finnlight. Only time will tell if people are suckered into paying it.
    People aren’t “suckered” into buying anything, people just buy what they like regardless of the cost and quality. How else would ford sell rangers?

My Howa Mountain rifle is lighter than this. And it shoots like a laser. And it cost 35% of this Finnlight 2.

The manufacturing cost and wholesale price of these ex-Finland into the Beretta dealers network would be interesting to know. Some marketing fellas have certainly made an interesting call on the value of the brands Sako and Finnlight. Only time will tell if people are suckered into paying it.
    Does it? I was looking at these when they came out and thought what a great looking rifle they were, but I've never spoken to anyone who has one. Does the barrel heat up quickly and affect the accuracy? As I had that problem with a Remington Mountain rifle. 3 Shots and you'd leave a burn mark on your hand if you touched it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    Does it? I was looking at these when they came out and thought what a great looking rifle they were, but I've never spoken to anyone who has one. Does the barrel heat up quickly and affect the accuracy? As I had that problem with a Remington Mountain rifle. 3 Shots and you'd leave a burn mark on your hand if you touched it.
    Does it what? If you mean shoot like a laser, you bet it does.

FWIW, both the Howa and the Finnlight have a light contour barrel. Whether one heats up faster than the other is an unknown. So I guess one could imply the same might happen with both rifles if you shot a three shot string.
    Last edited by Flyblown; 29-06-2018 at 04:47 PM.

My Finnlight will shoot a 5 shot MOA group after 15 rounds through it fast. A Howa mountain rifle may be similarly light but having both in the safe I know which I prefer to own despite the higher cost

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    My Finnlight will shoot a 5 shot MOA group after 15 rounds through it fast. A Howa mountain rifle may be similarly light but having both in the safe I know which I prefer to own despite the higher cost
    I should hope so too at three times the price!

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    An interesting insight. You rate the Sako higher then I take it? Just curious - what is it you like about it over the Howa? I'm not stirring here, I'm genuinely interested to know. I have only once handled a Howa and I thought it wasn't too bad - but I own a Sako.

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    An interesting insight. You rate the Sako higher then I take it? Just curious - what is it you like about it over the Howa? I'm not stirring here, I'm genuinely interested to know. I have only once handled a Howa and I thought it wasn't too bad - but I own a Sako.
    Sako - better mag system, bolt doesn't rattle/isn't as sloppy & action feels better to cycle/doesn't bind up, doesn't rust (stainless Howas rust like mad), better safety, better trigger, just perceptibly "nicer" in every way. Not significantly functionally better for shooting a deer... but nicer.

Wonder if they finally positioned the ejector in the correct place...

“stainless Howas rust like mad”

gimp mate, I’ve drowned my Howas that many times in the worst the weather can throw at us. But they aren’t rusty. I look after them! Dry them, oil them... am I doing something wrong?!

No one surely can argue in favour of a Howa being a “nicer” rifle than a Sako. It isn’t. But does the price of a Finnlight II really represent that much inherent manufacturing quality and performance over lesser brands? That’s the question I’d ask, especially at the frankly preposterous prices we’re hearing about in this thread.

My wife will tell you I’m a tight arse bastard who won’t ever pay for what my one eyed view of the world perceives as bling. I think the Sako brand has become bling thanks to the marketing suits. Lovely rifle, but $5 grand kiwi? You’ve gotta be joking.
    Last edited by Flyblown; 29-06-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Some people are happy to own howa’s and tikka’s.

Others not so much.

The incessant babbling of those that own the likes of howa’s and tikka’s trying to convince the ‘others’ that their chosen (insert high end brand here) rifle is no better than the howa’s etc at three times the price is hilarious.

It’s painfully obvious you are trying to justify it to yourself rather than convince the ‘others’.

If you did actually believe it, you would bypass threads like this, shake your head and move on with your chosen rifle.

Instead, here you are...
    Dreamer, BRADS, Nickoli and 2 others like this.

Bollocks!

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    No one surely can argue in favour of a Howa being a “nicer” rifle than a Sako. It isn’t. But does the price of a Finnlight II really represent that much inherent manufacturing quality and performance over lesser brands? That’s the question I’d ask, especially at the frankly preposterous prices we’re hearing about in this thread.
    Flyblown.
    The answer to your questions is , No.
    I don't own a Howa but I'll bet with it being Japanese made the Sako will not represent a giant 350% improvement in manufacturing quality over your Howa.
    Howa's I believe are very well made and accurate.

I can't speak for anyone else but I'll buy it because I like it, the same as I have a $800. 9.3x62 Husky and a $699. 1990 made Remington BDL 30 06.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

“stainless Howas rust like mad”

gimp mate, I’ve drowned my Howas that many times in the worst the weather can throw at us. But they aren’t rusty. I look after them! Dry them, oil them... am I doing something wrong?!

My wife will tell you I’m a tight arse bastard who won’t ever pay for what my one eyed view of the world perceives as bling. I think the Sako brand has become bling thanks to the marketing suits. Lovely rifle, but $5 grand kiwi? You’ve gotta be joking.
    My observations, I'm not going to argue about it. No matter how much you oil etc, rust spots under the stock, in the lug recesses etc. I'm not the only one that has experienced this. Doesn't happen with Sako stainless. I am not going to pay $5000 for a Finnlight II. I didn't even pay $3000 for my Finnlight, new.
    Dreamer, tikka, BRADS and 1 others like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    It doesn't matter what it costs as long as the buyer is happy with their purchase. The rest is just B.S.
    kokako, tikka, Danny and 2 others like this.

I my limited opinion from owning Sako, tikka, browning, remington’s, steyr, ruger’s, brono and H&K the next step up from a Sako is a custom built rifle or a nice walnut blaser. You get what you pay for, same as power tools.
    ChrisW likes this.