Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Sako 85 Finnlight II

Very nice.. what caliber and how does it shoot? What’s it weight scoped?

It is a 300wsm and shoots the 200gr precision hunter into 0.7" and the Federal premium 180gr into 0.4". It is at the gunsmith currently having a new muzzle brake indexed. When i get it back ill let you know.

Ok thanks.

Well, that's gonna kick a bit more than my 7mm08.

This is one thing I had to do to get a good cheek weld without an adjustable stock. Look on the right of the photo and you can see the rimu wooden cheekpiece which is shaped inside with epoxy putty and stuck on by F2 glue. It does add a bit of weight. Not sure if a riser one is better or not. Don't vines and branches and cutty grass get caught in the gaps between cheekpiece and stock ?

Name:  Tails small.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  1.38 MB
    Frodo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    This is one thing I had to do to get a good cheek weld without an adjustable stock. Look on the right of the photo and you can see the rimu wooden cheekpiece which is shaped inside with epoxy putty and stuck on by F2 glue. It does add a bit of weight. Not sure if a riser one is better or not. Don't vines and branches and cutty grass get caught in the gaps between cheekpiece and stock ?

Attachment 109576
    Does your rifle sling double as a scarf or something...?

In all the excitement, I couldn't remember whether I had fired 5 shots or 6. I thought of this idea of taking the tail off each goat I found so I could keep count. There were several of us skeltering around collecting legs and backsteaks so it was ripe for chaos and missing a couple.
    Frodo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post

In all the excitement, I couldn't remember whether I had fired 5 shots or 6. I thought of this idea of taking the tail off each goat I found so I could keep count. There were several of us skeltering around collecting legs and backsteaks so it was ripe for chaos and missing a couple.
    I thought the govt had started some new culling initiative, similar to the deer culling days of old. Where you'd live in the bush for months at a time and collect tails so you could fund your next 24 pack and a couple of cigars.

You had my hopes up. :/

Great idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by BruntyHunt View Post
    Had mine out on 5-6 hunts now. Some comments below:

Accuracy: Its an 85 and shoots like an 85 should.

Finish: Cerakote is real nice, only time will tell on its robustness. HOWEVER, Sako didn't Cerakote the bolt handle AND the bolt body is not stainless. This is a let down for a rifle advertised as the ducks nuts for all weather. Easy job to Cerakote the bolt handle but cant do anything about the bolt body. Shame on you Sako for that oversight, now I gotta make sure that bolt doesn't rust on extended hunts which is a pain.
    I will also need to Cerakote the button that moves the adjustable stock piece as its rusted.

Stock: Its stiff as fuk with the carbon fiber bedding which has to be a good thing. I like the rubber grippy things, real sticky even when wet and appear to be more robust than the Finn I grippy things. Fibreglass component of the stock does scratch quite easily. For me I dont care, its a tool, not a show piece. The adjustable stock is real nice and I do use it. It has no play in it at all which is nice.

Balance: Spot on for me with a VX3 mounted on it.

Cool factor: looks pretty sweet I reckon.

Cost: who cares if your a lefty you take what you can get (in the higher end range)

Overall: Awesome rifle but let down on the weather proofing of the bolt.
    Just got these parts back from Craig at Cerakote NZ which will solve the problem and match the rest of the rifle.
    Awesome job

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 25 /08 IMP View Post
    Just got these parts back from Craig at Cerakote NZ which will solve the problem and match the rest of the rifle.
    Awesome job

What did you end up with?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    What did you end up with?
    6.5 creedmoore as no .260 in the country and are special order.

Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mcche171 View Post
    It is a 300wsm and shoots the 200gr precision hunter into 0.7" and the Federal premium 180gr into 0.4". It is at the gunsmith currently having a new muzzle brake indexed. When i get it back ill let you know.
    Nice rifle. What does it weigh? I'm considering the same with VX6HD. @mcche171

Is it mellow to shoot with brake fitted?