Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Sako problems

R93
    I would try a lighter projectile and give it a bit of jump. Failing that, I would look at headspace. Bit different in a belted mag. If it shoots weaker loads well and as you beef them up it shoots worse sort of has me thinking headspace or sizing could be an issue.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Fulla
    pm me when you have had enough of the amax, I will buy them.

Not a problem with your gu, I have two sakos which shoot excellent. Sounds like more load development is needed, have you tried varying seating depths? I would try and sort one load before going to try lots of other powders or projectiles etc

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy6.5 View Post
    2630, nah bought it second hand. Regretting it abit now!!Attachment 17634
    If you hold it the other way up it might go better as well Those 162's can be a bit fussy.
    jimmy6.5 likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I just found it a little strange that a couple other guys with 7mm mag sako's loads I tried didn't shoot at all. I have heard of two cases where new guns failed to perform to the sako standards. I'm sure majority are fine just the odd one out of sync.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Jimmy
    I have two 85's and they both shoot very well, and they are two totally different types, one is a Stainless Synthetic the other is a wood blue job
    This may be basic but..

Since you bought it have you taken it apart, if so is everthing back together properly.
    If you think so, or perhaps you haven't, perhaps take it apart again, , do not tighten the action screws up hard, just till they are firm then nip.
    Please check the mounts and rings are firm but not overly tight.

Lastly are you 100% positive about the scope?
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

It's funny you say that mate iv taken it apart dozens of times but last night i done it and a pin fell out the side, iv never had it happen before. Ill try take a photo of what pin to give you guys an idea.
    Mounts seem fine and iv got a night force on it which has always been spot on with my previous rifle
    Cheers

It's funny you say that mate iv taken it apart dozens of times but last night i done it and a pin fell out the side, iv never had it happen before. Ill try take a photo of what pin to give you guys an idea.
    Mounts seem fine and iv got a night force on it which has always been spot on with my previous rifle
    Cheers
    Two pins only on the 75 action: bolt release and ejector pin.

Two photos. One with the pin in and one with it out. Think it's part of the bolt ? Seems to be a snug fit not to loose Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  181.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  193.7 KB

Two photos. One with the pin in and one with it out. Think it's part of the bolt ? Seems to be a snug fit not to loose Attachment 17677Attachment 17678
    Ejector pin

B
    kokako likes this.

I just found it a little strange that a couple other guys with 7mm mag sako's loads I tried didn't shoot at all. I have heard of two cases where new guns failed to perform to the sako standards. I'm sure majority are fine just the odd one out of sync.
    I know of a mates brand new 7Rm 85 with new NF, rings rail etc that wouldn't shoot the 162s or 168s or 180s, it went back complete after some negotiation & was replaced, it took a while though...he sold the replacement un-fired.

Yes, I wondered about those two pins. I contemplated pulling them out (mine are quite tight) or else hammering them in thinking they could be loose and working their way out. Looking carefully at the parts diagram in the manual I decided they were both essential and meant to stick out like they do in your first photo. One holds the bolt stop in place.

See this post. In the end, Beretta did get some sub moa groups but not as accurate as other guns Andy Animal has.

An average of several 5 shots groups is quite a high standard of accuracy. Also expensive to verify if using factory ammo. eg Tikka is only guaranteed for 3 shot groups. A lot of shooters will fire 2 or 3 x 3 shot groups and accept the best of them as the rifle's "accuracy".

Mine (7mm08 85 StainlessSynthetic) struggles to group 30mm at 100m. I've thought of several possibilities:
    The 3 bolt lugs definitely don't all bear evenly.
    The ally bedding block has a nick where I wrestled it out with pliers.
    There was a chip out of the plastic in the bedding when I got it (new).
    I might have crushed the plastic stock by supertightening the bedding screws.
    The side walls of the action touch the stock (Nathan Foster has identified this as a potential problemt .)
    Can't reach the lands with mag length reloads.
    Could be residual fouling
    Maybe it will never shoot real well with a synthetic stock and needs a MacMillan or a bedding job.
    Maybe its only spec'd to shoot MOA and the majority of owners won't ever be sure it doesn't shoot better and think that's just fine. Only a few obsessive and confident shooters will complain about it and we don't know if its a 5% problem or 50% are like this.

The annoying thing is that 1" is fine for hunting out to 300m. I'm finding it hard to justify more effort and expense to try and improve on that.

The really great features of the sako are: good trigger, simple reliable action with metal shroud etc, 5 shot detachable metal mag that sits flush in the stock (very few rifles have this), top loading through the action, nice finish, rugged, taper rail and plastic inserts in the optilock rings making trouble free scope mounting by ordinary hunters. So its a very good general hunting rifle out of the box but maybe not a high accuracy design - which all brands need some work to achieve.

My own next step will be to ask Beretta NZ before going for truing, new stock etc. Will be very interested to see any other advice or success stories posted here.
    jimmy6.5 likes this.

Still watching with interest.
    I wouldnt throw the toys yet,I couldnt get amax(differnt cal) to shoot on the lands.
    While KG comments are concerning(cos he would know) Id still give em a try at say 20 and 40 tho jump and if still no joy try 7MMsaums suggestion.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Banned
    Have you tried Bergers

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mm08Roks View Post
    Have you tried Bergers
    Tahr burgers

Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2