Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Scope for F-Class and a bit of everything else

Quote Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
    Attachment 26657

That is a pretty busy reticle - from the little I have witnessed of F-class most people don't seem to use anything like that. Mostly target dot, or fine crosshairs or similar ...
    Agree with you Shamus - that is a very busy reticle. It would drive me nuts. I prefer a v fine crosshair or a very small dot. The dot needs to be so small it doesn't cover your spotter which you often will use as an aiming point, otherwise a dot is useless. I dial for wind and will only aim off if there is a last second minor change before I take the shot in which case I will do a small aim off correction. I don't need hash marks for that as I fully understand the target ring dimensions (which I can see them clearly, except when there is heavy mirage) I am shooting at. Dialing requires skill in remembering how much wind you have off or on but as an old full-bore shooter that is all stored in my head shot for shot ie second nature. Or run a plotting sheet. It is more natural for your brain to aim at something dead centre rather than off to one side. And to make it even easier my club now has electronic target marking which gives you the strike point and the MOA position of the shot. You just need to understand your scope and know exactly what its 1 MOA (or MILS) correction actually gives.
    My scope for the coming season will be a March 8-80x56 with a 1/16 dot.

ChrisF do you shoot F-Class? I would love to hear from an experienced F-Class shooter what they thought of that Burris reticle for shooting F-Class ...

Opps I just saw @zimmer's post there now

ebf
    ChrisF, interested to hear why you think ffp is good for f-class ?

Personally I can't really see a use for it, the targets are known dimensions, the distances are known, you can very easily work out the distance to centre just by looking at which ring your shot fell on...

I prefer cross-hairs rather than a dot. Easier to bracket stuff in the viewfinder.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

1 ) I donot shoot fclass , have shoot a couple of FTR matches
    2 ) I can see no reason why you cannot use a FFP reticle , as long as its thin at the optimim power , ie towards the top end (40x ), this means it will be virtually unusable at low power , but then so what , you are not going to be using it in that power setting .
    3 ) The NF comp scope is SFP & its reticle is only correct at 40x.
    4 ) The f class shooters I have seen , use a wide range of different scopes , from cheap ones to dear , most the very old NF benchrest type or sightrons , as they are cheaper , then a few NF NXSs , and at the top , likes of S&B & March etc .

5 ) The more complex reticles that you seem so set against , still can be used like a normal crosshair , but can also be used to measure fall of shot , or used for aimoff , something a old simple crosshair cannot do .

6 ) The new NF 2014 comp scope was virtually designed from the ground up by the top US F class shooters & that includes the complex reticle , obviously they are wrong .

7 ) Me , I like the fact that there are new interesting scopes , as thats progress , hopefully .

Later Chris

ebf
    I am not saying you can not or should not use a FFP scope, what I am saying is that it does not give you any real benefits in f class shooting. Maybe if you use the rifle for other types of shooting like long range NZDA, gunslinger etc where ranging is more relevant...

If you do a bit more talking to f class shooters, I think you will find that just about everyone is using "simple crosshair" type reticles for holdover. The known dimensions of the rings on a NRA target allows you to do this quickly and easily.

Considering the fact that we are going to super v targets next season, I would rather spend money on higher magnification and clear glass, than on ffp - but my target rifle is dedicated to FTR and match shooting.

ebf
    Chris, are you talking about the 2014 15-55x52 ?

2 of the 4 reticles options are what I would call simple, the ddr2 is effectively a target dot, so only the fcr1 is "complex" and being sfp only subtends correctly at x40

I had a look thru a March 80x at Hamilton champs, interesting experience, looking at small rocks on the stop bank at 1000yds

DAF
    I can't agree with you ebf most of the f class guys i shoot with have hash marked scopes.
    IMO The FFP scopes give you the benefit of always knowing the correct adjustment needed at any magnification, I have both types and love my FFP scopes for this fact

My SFP I need to be on a set magnification to perform the same job and as you would know the conditions can set your maximum magnification for you lol
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

ebf
    Must be an open thing

DAF, from a practical point of view, what is the difference between aiming for the centre using a hash to hold off and aiming for a ring to hold off ?

When Nik was coaching the north team guys during nationals, they just used a system where he would tell them something like 2 o'clock on the 4 ring.