Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Scope Mounting 101

I'm a little bit scared to mount my new setup when it arrives next week. Some good info none the less

Quote Originally Posted by mimms View Post
    When fitting scopes I will "zero" the scope. That is, set windage and elevation in the middle of their adjustment, this has the crosshair optically centred with least chance of abberation or parrallax. (And if you're inclined to twiddle turrets, gives you max avail adjustment)
    If rings aren't good I will clean them up with a file to 90%+ contact, achieves same as lapping, just without using lapping tool. (I'm not opposed to lapping tools, but if I can get away without grinding paste near a gun, I will)
    I fit the bottom half of rings to the gun and lay the tube in it and "boresight", if it's too far left or right I will swap the rings front to back, or 180 degrees (one screw left and one right, ie) to get it as close as possible. Then put the top halves on and nip them up (this has NAF perfect contact between rings-scope body), slack the mounts and torque the top, then torque the mounts, boresight again then zero by shooting.
    That first sentence is exactly what I do too.

Can someone please send this to those fucking imbeciles who work at the majority of Hunting and Fishing stores as they don't honestly have a fucking clue about fitting scopes properly.
    Steve123 and Micky Duck like this.

Thought this might be useful to this thread
    https://youtu.be/d6RopWI0-GE

interesting wee thing I picked up last year.....SOMETIMES it is of advantage to mount scope rings opposite each other...particularly with weaver clip over mounts,it helps to keep the Xhairs straight when you nip it up the last bit...also on some rifles (maybe bases a bit off) one way around will put you closer to zero by a huge amount more than the other....Ive also seen a very knowledgeable chap with more than 2 rings on a scope.......using a long base its possible to fit another in,cant be bad other than weight,and thats next to nothing.Ive kiiled so many scopes over the years its not funny...fogged 4-5 bent 2 have run leupolds for last few years with no issues.....its a waste of time and ammo when things turn to crap,not to mention how much it fucks up a hunt if it happens half way through.
    I remember Graham Henry way back in the 90s promoting smaller fixed power scopes for the increased reliability and less overhang to get knocked/bent.....he had a point.