Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By FatLabrador
  • 1 Post By FatLabrador
  • 1 Post By northdude
  • 2 Post By superdiver

Thread: Scope options

Scope options

I’ve just spent all my money on a new rifle and will be moving the scopes around to suit.
    To go on a 17 Hornet shooting max 400yds on Hares, rabbit and magpies
    Budget is less than $800
    Vertical turret a must, wind plex reticle as well, parallax preferred but not essential
    I’ve looked at most options but have no experience with anything in that budget bracket.
    I’d like advice from those that use the scopes they recommend or at least have mates that use them.
    I’ll be removing a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 4W from the rifle so I’ll be accepting a drop in quality.
    I’m sure this has been covered 100 times already so I apologise for that.
    Cheers guys

This is what I run on my 223 https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Opt...+ILLUM+HF.html I don't know what's up with reloaders picture of the scope this site has a better picture of the scope https://www.shooterssupplies.co.nz/p...4x50-illum-hf/ if you look back though my posts you will see pictures of it as well.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Damn dude, you’ve got a lot of posts lol
    The scope you’ve mentioned is not one I’ve considered. It definitely looks like it’s worth doing a bit of research on��
    I presume you’ve had no issues with tracking.
    Thanks for your input ��

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by FatLabrador View Post
    This is what I run on my 223 https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Opt...+ILLUM+HF.html I don't know what's up with reloaders picture of the scope this site has a better picture of the scope https://www.shooterssupplies.co.nz/p...4x50-illum-hf/ if you look back though my posts you will see pictures of it as well.
    im looking into one of these as well how have to found it

Yeah I haven't done a big tracking test or anything just put all the information into sterlock and it seems bang on when dailing. The glass is better than my vortex Diamondback and the clicks are better than the diamondback but my vortex viper has better clicks and glass is similar. The clicks are not as positive as my weaver grand slam and glass is similar but not as bright. Those are the only other scopes I own so not much to compare to but I think it's pretty good for the price when I bought mine off reloaders it was $430 I think. You could probably buy pretty decent secondhand scope off here for 800. The finish is good and I really like the reticle.
    Name:  IMG_20200503_131438.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  4.36 MB
    Noswal likes this.

northdude
    cool thanks for the good comparison nothing worse than someone chiming in with the they are shit post only to find they are comparing it to the highest end scope you can buy so pretty surprising they arent quite as good most of my rifles have nikko stirlings on them and they have been fine for everything i do
    FatLabrador likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    im looking into one of these as well how have to found it
    The Grand slams have a good rep for their price range, I’ve heard very little about the diamondbacks.
    Since your response I’ve done a fair bit of research and have liked what I’ve seen. Got through the process of buying one but stopped at the final step just to re-evaluate lol
    It still looks like a good buy though.

Tagged the wrong reply lol
    Thanks for your help FatLab

northdude
    in that nikko price range im also considering 40/44 weaver i think it is millet s/h trs or second hand better known brand under 550 600 not expecting a s&b or such for my long range for me rifle wouldnt shoot past 400 at this stage would like mil dot as im more a hold over shooter than dial fiddler

Find a sightron stac. Perfect dialing and get one for under 800 2nd hand fine. I like the 3-16 and the super fine duplex would be good for pesting
    GWH and Noswal like this.

northdude
    went and got a nikko diamond 6-24x50 long range and leupold rings for the 6.5 06 sighted it in yesterday and will give it another run tomorrow really nice scope for the money i recon seems really clear as well and dialed for the sighting in perfectly