Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Scope warranty servicing

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    The odd thing with all of this is that the NZ Consumer Guarantees Act states that the retailer must pay for shipping both ways for faulty goods.
    Which is why the $55 shipping fee per scope for Leupold repairs from NZ Asia is bullshit. Also if they batch them up and send them by the pallet load why would they try and charge a per scope shipping fee (sent two scopes and they tried to charge $110).

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    Found Sig Sauer excellent, tweeked ballistics turret up just that wee bit too much, busted. Took back to reloaders. They sent away to agent and they replaced with a new scope, I was honest that my fault but thought best take in before I attempted a home repair.

Shame to hear that about sightron, have one of their middle of the road scopes and was thinking of getting a Siii or STAC
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    The odd thing with all of this is that the NZ Consumer Guarantees Act states that the retailer must pay for shipping both ways for faulty goods.
    I do find the scopes good, even sightron were good, it was the trained monkeys in n.z that were difficult.

As far as shipping I knew no better and they deffinatly didn't offer. And one way shipping wouldn't be so bad if they got straight into fixing it for free instead of there really good gun smith "there words" fluffing around.
    If I ever questioned who pays for shipping, and I even might have at the time, I feel I would just get the run around and it would hardly be worth it.
    Even the returning of the first scope was so much more difficult than actually buying it. Quick to take the money, but very slow when there's a problem.
    gadgetman and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    Quick to take the money, but very slow when there's a problem.
    Fairly common trait with some local manufactures.....

Talked to DED today and the scope is coming back with another shipment next week. Looking forward to it...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

When I read the terms of the Leupold guarantee some years ago it stated postage will be charged, as part of the terms and conditions this would supersede the consumer act.
    I would love to know how the Bushnell guarantee works as it states " the life of the product " ?

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    Had a variety of scopes repaired: Leupold, Swarovski, Zeiss, Weaver, Redfield, Bushnell. Got the brush off from Weaver and Redfield who refused to do anything at all. Bushnell didn't repair, but replaced the scope but it took a couple of months. Leupold repaired it immediately (took 2 weeks there and back to the USA and charge was $10). Swarovski very expensive and took months. Zeiss eye wateringly expensive and complicated process and took months (like about 5 months). So, my experience is that Leupold is still the repair champ (I've got a Vortex but nothing has gone wrong with it, yet).
    Luck of the draw, could of taken weeks next time with leupold and not long with one of the others.Interesting you have had so many break down, unreal. Thing is with leupold you drop it and bust it they unlikely to replace it. But with lots of the others, even if it took weeks they replace it for a brand new one, no questions asked. Bushnell and burris have updated their warrantys that in my opinion is far better than leupold hands down. Pengy dropped his burris ii i sold him cheap recently and stuffed it. Within ten days they had a replacement one for him to pick up, thats service

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Luck of the draw, could of taken weeks next time with leupold and not long with one of the others.Interesting you have had so many break down, unreal. Thing is with leupold you drop it and bust it they unlikely to replace it. But with lots of the others, even if it took weeks they replace it for a brand new one, no questions asked. Bushnell and burris have updated their warrantys that in my opinion is far better than leupold hands down. Pengy dropped his burris ii i sold him cheap recently and stuffed it. Within ten days they had a replacement one for him to pick up, thats service
    I have dropped two leupold and they charged me for the repair and then send me brand new current model scopes. Seemed fair to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    When I read the terms of the Leupold guarantee some years ago it stated postage will be charged, as part of the terms and conditions this would supersede the consumer act.
    I would love to know how the Bushnell guarantee works as it states " the life of the product " ?
    They cannot supersede the law by taking your rights away. They can add extra 'fruit' to add better warranty conditions but they cannot legally take anything away that is in the law. The law states that any conditions that they say that take away your rights are invalid conditions and are to be set aside.
    Tommy and timattalon like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

No dis respect @Taff, but last I heard you were working for a major retailer in the field. Surely if anyone should know how the warranties work, it is you guys
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

My only experience with scopes being sent back to the manufacturer for repair or modification kills the argument to buy locally for warranty or support.
    I bought a Z6 and Z5 off eBay and from EuroOptic.
    One ended up with a scratched ocular, the other I wanted modified to have a ballistic turret.
    I contacted the NZ agent, was upfront about them being offshore purchases.
    "No problem,send them down" was the answer.
    Everything was sorted by them, the scratched lens was repaired gratis, I think I paid a $35.00 handling fee, and the ballistic turret mod cost me the cost of the mod, flat cost, no plus freight, plus GST.
    I thanked them very much via email, they said that's what you pay for, no matter were it's bought.

B
    gadgetman, mikee, deer243 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    No dis respect @Taff, but last I heard you were working for a major retailer in the field. Surely if anyone should know how the warranties work, it is you guys
    I agree but tryin to get a answer from them is a mine field, f Leupold scopes go to NZ Asia , who send them to Australia first, who then decide whether to send them to the USA , Leupold can take three months or a week as in the last one I sent, yet a 10 yr old range finder took a month and was replaced by a new one, if a scope is faulty and reasonable New we replace on the spot as we know Leupold will fix it, if you have dropped it in a river denting it like the last two then we send them away.
    As to warranties some scopes have lifetime in the USA and 10 yrs in NZ so you need to read the small print not the advertising.
    Pengy likes this.

6 months ago mate contacted Swaro re a problem with his USA bought 3.5-18 Z5 scope. Next thing local agent contacted him via email with an offer to handle the return for ~NZ$100. Mate wasn‘t sure what he got for 100 bucks and declined and sent scope direct at a substantially cheaper cost.

Scope had 2 problems – parallax dial had seized up and POI shifting around. The parallax came almost fully right by gently moving back and forward until full adjustment could be used. The POI movement was proven by firing groups with the Swaro, swapping to a March, back to the Swaro, and then finally with the March. Took bloody ages!

Scope turnaround was actually quite good. Mate contacted Swaro for update to be told it was already on its way back to him – this surprised him somewhat.

Received scope back with a workshop docket. Docket showed test done for 15 minutes on some shaker machine. A clean, and then back to mate. No details of any remedial work done.

Parallax knob still has 3 rough spots and still suspicious of POI changes. He has lost all confidence in his $2.5k NZ equivalent scope.

I agree but tryin to get a answer from them is a mine field, f Leupold scopes go to NZ Asia , who send them to Australia first, who then decide whether to send them to the USA , Leupold can take three months or a week as in the last one I sent, yet a 10 yr old range finder took a month and was replaced by a new one, if a scope is faulty and reasonable New we replace on the spot as we know Leupold will fix it, if you have dropped it in a river denting it like the last two then we send them away.
    As to warranties some scopes have lifetime in the USA and 10 yrs in NZ so you need to read the small print not the advertising.
    Yes, on some of the euro scopes it you read the lifetime weazle words they say that they only guarantee to keep spare parts for a limited number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Yes, on some of the euro scopes it you read the lifetime weazle words they say that they only guarantee to keep spare parts for a limited number of years.
    Surprisinly a lot of the Euro stuff is only warranted for 10 years.....

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    6 months ago mate contacted Swaro re a problem with his USA bought 3.5-18 Z5 scope. Next thing local agent contacted him via email with an offer to handle the return for ~NZ$100. Mate wasn‘t sure what he got for 100 bucks and declined and sent scope direct at a substantially cheaper cost.

Scope had 2 problems – parallax dial had seized up and POI shifting around. The parallax came almost fully right by gently moving back and forward until full adjustment could be used. The POI movement was proven by firing groups with the Swaro, swapping to a March, back to the Swaro, and then finally with the March. Took bloody ages!

Scope turnaround was actually quite good. Mate contacted Swaro for update to be told it was already on its way back to him – this surprised him somewhat.

Received scope back with a workshop docket. Docket showed test done for 15 minutes on some shaker machine. A clean, and then back to mate. No details of any remedial work done.

Parallax knob still has 3 rough spots and still suspicious of POI changes. He has lost all confidence in his $2.5k NZ equivalent scope.
    So the devil in me has to ask......

The Z5 cost in the region of $2.5 k, had a couple of things go wrong, so your mate went to the trouble of contacting Swaro himself. The local agent said for $100.00 they'd look after it.

Instead of asking the local agent what he got for his hard earned hundy, he cheaped out and sent it away himself.

Now that he's lost confidence in the scope, what recourse has he got, send it back to Swaro himself at his expense ? again ? where as, if he'd sent it via the agent, he'd perhaps have more leverage, and they would be obliged to own the problem.

How much does he want for it ?

B