Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Shooting over Bipod or Backpack ?

Fulla
    I don't go far enough for a backpack.
    johnd likes this.

I am using an unsuppressed unbroken 7mm Rem Mag and have never used a bi pod even at the range. It is a Tikka T3 lite and I find when hunting you just don't notice the noise or the recoil as you are just focused on the moment. I use a sand bag at the range and my pack out hunting which seems to work for me.

By not putting a muzzle brake or suppressor on the riffle keeps it short enough to use in the bush and I use it on the tops, so for me it is a good all round option for close in shots and long distance. Just using the pack as a rest keeps the weight down and for us older buggers that is a big factor when doing the long km's.
    When hunting think safety first

About 60-70% of my shots goat shooting are taken from the prone. I have a Troy PAR with a 30 rd mag and monopod of it all the time, its surprisingly stable and one of my favourite features of the rifle. I'm shooting over farmland, its not something I'd be doing much in the bush.

I think for a regular A Cat rifle if you have enough time to go prone you have enough time to set up on a back pack. I would rather keep my rifle light and handy than set it up for 1% of my shots. But I guess it all depends on the type of shooting that you do. Another option is practicing the sitting position or using a shooting sling, I have a Magpul RLS on my .308.

When I was in the British Army we were issued grip pods for our SA80's. I only used it once as a bipod and wasn't impressed with it although it was great for keeping the rifle out of the dirt (its main use for me). For me bipods are nice to have on the range but not something I want to be carrying around all day.
    Ground Control and dannyb like this.

When sighting in (which hasn’t been for a while now) I take my backpack and use that as a rest. Same one I use when hunting

Both have their merits, let common sense and ground dictate which is best, I always take a bipod in my pack unless I am purely bush stalking.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    I am using an unsuppressed unbroken 7mm Rem Mag and have never used a bi pod even at the range. It is a Tikka T3 lite and I find when hunting you just don't notice the noise or the recoil as you are just focused on the moment. I use a sand bag at the range and my pack out hunting which seems to work for me.

By not putting a muzzle brake or suppressor on the riffle keeps it short enough to use in the bush and I use it on the tops, so for me it is a good all round option for close in shots and long distance. Just using the pack as a rest keeps the weight down and for us older buggers that is a big factor when doing the long km's.
    +1

I leave mine at home now, the less gadgets the better for me.

I have bipods on my rifles sight in off them they just stay on all the time no. Balance problems for me although Suppressers seem more of a. Balance issue for me just do what works for you

Quote Originally Posted by Sh00ter View Post
    About 60-70% of my shots goat shooting are taken from the prone. I have a Troy PAR with a 30 rd mag and monopod of it all the time, its surprisingly stable and one of my favourite features of the rifle. I'm shooting over farmland, its not something I'd be doing much in the bush.

I think for a regular A Cat rifle if you have enough time to go prone you have enough time to set up on a back pack. I would rather keep my rifle light and handy than set it up for 1% of my shots. But I guess it all depends on the type of shooting that you do. Another option is practicing the sitting position or using a shooting sling, I have a Magpul RLS on my .308.

When I was in the British Army we were issued grip pods for our SA80's. I only used it once as a bipod and wasn't impressed with it although it was great for keeping the rifle out of the dirt (its main use for me). For me bipods are nice to have on the range but not something I want to be carrying around all day.
    What wasn't impressive about the grip pod? I was thinking of getting one for my ar15.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Bipod has been staying home lately
    I use trees mostly
    Or my knees
    I do find myself looking for suitable shooting positions the moment I see an animal
    Mostly lateral branches and stalking closer
    Sideshow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    ....since learning to shoot with a sling, in many cases the sling is all you need, especially when accompanied with another form of support (tree, rock, fench, backpack etc.
    How many hunters do this - use a sling as shooting support? What's the preferred technique and does it take a lot of practice? Cheers

read any book about "how to shoot" thats 40 or more years old....it will show you. basically you wrap arm around sling then as you push elbow outwards it sort of locks everything up....
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by luckey View Post
    How many hunters do this - use a sling as shooting support? What's the preferred technique and does it take a lot of practice? Cheers
    Wrapping the sling once or twice around your arm gives good stability to a standing or improvised shot
    Leather slings are an asset in this suituation

luckey something like this...you can do 2nd wrap around forearm too.Name:  Rifle-Sling-Shooting-Lead-630x420.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  62.7 KB
    RV1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    luckey something like this...you can do 2nd wrap around forearm too.Attachment 97758
    Good rap tec but he needs to be holding that forend with a pinch gip to be more effective imho.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.