Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Subsonic 300BLK Noise levels

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Gas venting from the ejection port?
    That was another thing I was thinking and could be solved with an adjustable block, but I just don't think that the sound from that would carry so far? Maybe I'm mistaken.

Even cycling the action at our range is loud, so is a super 22.....

A bolt action should be quieter than an AR.

My 450 Bushmaster sub sonic upper is still pretty loud, but the barrel is fairly short, finishes inside a 12.5" hand guard

Theres a link on here somewhere with a short vid showing mine shooting subs, and its fair to say ive got a short barrel. I will try and fi d it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Even cycling the action at our range is loud, so is a super 22.....
    um no its you that is the loud bugger at our range!!
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    um no its you that is the loudest bugger at our range!!
    LOL fixed it for you

Thanks. It seems really hard to judge noise from videos but mine definitely sounds louder than that. I'll try get a recording next time I take it out.

:edit: I'm much closer to the 45 in those two videos

here is a good example of sound this is his second video https://youtu.be/GGm8QCDPG8Y

For those of you familiar with adjustable gas blocks: can they be easily adjusted with the rail installed? I've seen ones with the adjustment screw on the side which looks like you could easily get at it but the locking screw is still on the front/back by the looks of things?

i haven't tried your model of suppressor . . . but two of my earlier suppressor models i tried by well known nz makers were noisier than my present setup . .. thet are not all equals . . . sometimes not even close

I am thinking you ammo is going supersonic?
    Me and a mate knocked over a mob of pigs the other day with very little sound of us banging away, he has a 16" Rem 700 300blk with a gen5 Hardy at the sound is no different to my 12" tikka 300blk with a ODL can. and both running 208gr A-Max.

Here's a vid of my brothers boy shooting my 300blk.

A .22 LR rifle with sub sonic ammo with a good suppressor wíll be c. 110-113 dB measured 1 m of the of the muzzle.

We are actually working on our .300 BLK specific model ( work more related to bullet channel size and optimum size vs. performance than other characteristics )

Quietest levels so far in our testing in .300 BLK with sub sonic ammo have been in the range of c. 130-132 dB with a 10-12" AR15 type rifle, 1 m left of the muzzle.

Levels at the shooters ear will be varying, due to the ejection port noise for example.

Figures from elsewhere that I would trust, measured with the right equipment indicate levels of c. 127-132 dB for sub sonic .300 BLK AR15 type rifle at 1 m left of the muzzle.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
    Ase Utra sound suppressors

Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post

Figures from elsewhere that I would trust, measured with the right equipment indicate levels of ...
    ie, equipment virtually no-one on here would have access to. You're wasting your time measuring this type of impulse sound with toy sound level meters. The necessary impulse meters are --seriously-- expensive
    madjon_ likes this.

Hi, I think there is a misunderstanding of my post? We have had the correct type of SPL measurement equipment since the beginning of development of Ase Utra suppressors

What is was refering to was which are the usual levels for competing products from other countries, for which there is publicly available data that has been done by people who also have the right kit and know what they are doing.

Best regards!

Tuukka

Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
    Hi, I think there is a misunderstanding of my post? We have had the correct type of SPL measurement equipment since the beginning of development of Ase Utra suppressors

What is was refering to was which are the usual levels for competing products from other countries, for which there is publicly available data that has been done by people who also have the right kit and know what they are doing.

Best regards!

Tuukka
    To effectively measure the sound signatures of various Brakes or Suppressors they need to be fired in the same place, time & on the same rifle using the same ammunition, with a calibrated control.

Different weather & surrounding will have an impact on the comparative noise levels.

I have a friend who has done just that because he wanted the "best" suppressors.

It cost him a ridiculous amount of money for the software & hardware for his gear, the mic alone was on the wrong side of $7K