Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Which Suppressor?

DPT for quality and value by a country mile. The modular ones are not designed for constant high volume use. He says so himself.
    Gunworks are falling behind in length and weight. When guys rave about a suppressor (or anything), I want to ask “compared to what”?

I have compared the DPT, Dan’s and Gunworks. For ordinary use, budget and build I will stick with the DPT modular. For straight hunting use and mucking around sighting in and playing with loads a bit, mine gets plenty of exercise.

I don’t know of a brand that hasn’t had a fail, Eve.
    R93 likes this.

Gunworks might have been exciting in the 1980s

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Threads don't strip for fun
    Maybe for $$$ .....
    Littledog and Toby like this.

R93
    I have no POI shift at all with the DPT on my .260. Nor does my .223 barrel with one of Abes old carbon supps. I am sure the new one wont have a problem either as it is lighter.

Gunworks supplied the first decent supps available in NZ and they still have some of the highest standards and service, IMO. Cant fault them as they are always looking for new innovation.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Yeah I'm just not super impressed with suppression, weight and size compared to more modern designs.

Personally I'm actually considering going to an Ase Utra SL5 on the 6.5, just because it's only 96mm long and the one I have on my AR is hilariously good. Weight of 390 grams, but 2" less barrel and I won't notice that, and the stainless construction will at least mean I can abuse it. I want a shorter gun and the only over barrel that is actually shorter than my Roedale is the Hardy which... meh.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Yeah I'm just not super impressed with suppression, weight and size compared to more modern designs.

Personally I'm actually considering going to an Ase Utra SL5 on the 6.5, just because it's only 96mm long and the one I have on my AR is hilariously good. Weight of 390 grams, but 2" less barrel and I won't notice that, and the stainless construction will at least mean I can abuse it. I want a shorter gun and the only over barrel that is actually shorter than my Roedale is the Hardy which... meh.
    Hi Gimp, you were running a waitaki can on your AR? did you change to an ASE?

Yes I had the first Waitaki muzzle can, and yes, Ase Utra SL5 BL quick detach

It's significantly heavier, but very effective. Also somewhat shorter (though fatter)

The quick detach mech adds to the weight, I'm patiently waiting for the ODL Ti QD suppressor(s) and hoping they come in around 300 gms (this AU is ~600 including borelock brake)

Yes I had the first Waitaki muzzle can, and yes, Ase Utra SL5 BL quick detach

It's significantly heavier, but very effective. Also somewhat shorter (though fatter)

The quick detach mech adds to the weight, I'm patiently waiting for the ODL Ti QD suppressor(s) and hoping they come in around 300 gms (this AU is ~600 including borelock brake)
    Thank you , interesting. Ive often wondered about doing such things to mine, I fitted an 11.9 inch barrel, havent used it that much but think ill go back to the 14.5

Have a couple of gunworks duralumin nothing wrong with them, just abit long. had barrels shortened anyway so not really a problem.
    would be good to try the new lighter brands

Quote Originally Posted by savageshooter View Post
    Thank you , interesting. Ive often wondered about doing such things to mine, I fitted an 11.9 inch barrel, havent used it that much but think ill go back to the 14.5
    I like my 12.5" so much the only direction I'd be thinking of going is shorter, maybe a 10.5".....

I may need a 14.5" upper for service rifle though

I like my 12.5" so much the only direction I'd be thinking of going is shorter, maybe a 10.5".....

I may need a 14.5" upper for service rifle though
    Lucky you got a decent can as that would be LOUD! I dont know if you'd be legal going down to a 10.5 inch?

Depends on muzzle device + stock + mssa + hey who knows really

Depends on muzzle device + stock + mssa + hey who knows really
    I have a 10.5 9mm barrel, its a bit off with a skel stock and extender., was thinking of a muzzle device, either that or cut down my 16 inch 9mm to 12 inch

Quote Originally Posted by JP100 View Post
    Have a couple of gunworks duralumin nothing wrong with them, just abit long. had barrels shortened anyway so not really a problem.
    would be good to try the new lighter brands
    Arvo industries they advertise here
    Got one on my 270 works very well big reduction in both recoil and noise.
    As far as I can tell noise is about a 22 and nice and compact 345g and 178mm OAL

Thanks for all the info guys. I am leaning towards the DPT after comparing all the options in weight, length and price it seems to be the best value.

Next question, if I order it online and take it to a local gun smith to fit, can they do so without removing the barrel and action from the stock or will in need to be taken apart?
    R93 likes this.