Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Suppressor Q&A

Suppressor Q&A

Hi folks,
    been reading up on suppressors a fair bit, have a few outstanding questions. Since it's a different train of thought I figured I would start a new thread rather than add to the old one, which was very informative (https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....forward-54768/ )

I'm looking for a hunting suppressor on a 7mm-08 T3, and possibly a suppressor on a heavy barrel 308. Not fixated on anything in particular, just looking to gather more info on suppressors as I'm totally new to them. Probably muzzle forward type, lightweight, reliable. Mostly focused on sound reduction. Don't care a ton about overall length, hence muzzle forward.

DPT seems to come up time and again as the best overall in terms of design, service life, quality, and general preference. Supporting the forum doesn't hurt either

1) Are there more "common" threadings for .284 and .308 cal barrels? Obviously you can thread to any size that wall thickness will allow, but I see people mention that certain threads are more or less common, so may as well get a suppressor in a more common threading, just need to know what those are.

2) Sweet spot for number of baffles on a DPT muzzle forward brake for 7mm08 and 308 that's getting a complete burn before the muzzle?

3) Any significant reason to not get the stainless blast baffle? Assuming the stainless increases first baffle life at the cost of weight/cash? Aluminium baffle=$45, 25 grams; Stainless baffle=$90, 65 grams

4) Is there a significant loss in noise reduction using a .308 baffle setup on a .284 bore rifle? If the difference is negligible then may as well just get a .308 and throw it on the 7mm-08 when using it, but if there's a big increase in noise, then I guess I'd be buying two.

5) Strong competitors to the DPT suppressor? Pros and cons to them?

I have never been a fan of suppressors, the gun makers spend a fortune on experts to get the barrel length right and then send the rifle to NZ where a different expert chops a length off it and adds a suppressor to make it longer than what it was originally...of course if I was in the business of chopping barrels and/or making suppressors I would hate comments made by people like me.
    xtightg likes this.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Use the 308 on the 7mm, virtually no difference in noise reduction
    The blast baffle makes sense, that said my DPT predated them, probably had 120-150 rounds through it, minimal erosion.
    Sweet spot on baffles ? What barrel length, factory or hand loads ?
    DPT List the ‘common’ thread sizes on his website.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

DPT are very good light weight suppessors, I have quite a few of them. My primary use is hunting, hence want light weight. If you want max noise reduction then a heavier suppressor will be more effective than DPT, definitely add the ss baffle and for more noise reduction add more baffles. There is a review of lots of different suppressors in Rod&Rifle a year or two back. I’ve attached a photo , not the best, of how they stack up. Last column is noise reduction in dB, remember it’s a log scale. Many of the suppressors run low to mid 20 dB reduction, some of the heavier ones score >30dB. Some of the makes rate less than 20.
    If you’re after a can style then I would recommend you look at the ASE 5. Very short wee can, on the heavy side but good noise reduction.(25dB).
    Name:  09FF4D0D-2ACA-4743-B650-014444DF81A4.jpeg
Views: 988
Size:  1.75 MB
    Get a 30cal and it will work for both 308 and 7mm08.
    Thread - the idea is to remove as little meat from the muzzle as you can, that way you lessen the risk of compromising the crown.
    Given you have a light weight shorter bbl on the Tikka and a heavier profile of the 308 you are going to be restricted on thread options based on the Tikka bbl and have to use that thread on the 308. And probably need two different ferrules for the different bbl profiles. Either that or get 2 suppressors.

I used my .30 cal suppressor on my ar15 all the time
    Sniff.

Sorry to Hijack this thread.

I've got a Howa mini 7.62x39 that I'm looking at getting suppressed.
    It's wearing a Weaver K4 4x38 at the moment.
    I have 3 DPT suppressors that all have excellent noise suppression, lightweight, and nimble handling. The only minor issue is the diameter is rather large at 43mm. When the scope is set to say 3x, the suppressor is visible through the scope. Totally functional but just a little imperfection.

The Weaver K4 seems to have a very wide field of view, often comparable to my other variable power scopes at 3x. I'm worried it might face the same problem if I chucked a DPT on it.

Does anyone know any brand of suppressors with smaller diameters?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    I have never been a fan of suppressors, the gun makers spend a fortune on experts to get the barrel length right and then send the rifle to NZ where a different expert chops a length off it and adds a suppressor to make it longer than what it was originally...of course if I was in the business of chopping barrels and/or making suppressors I would hate comments made by people like me.
    Well (other than magnum calibres) howa rifles tend to be 20", tikka and browning 22" and remington 700 24". 223, 308, 270, all the same length from the same manufacturer, so they either all hired different experts, or barrel length is based on arbitrary factors, like balance, so a howa with a heavier stock might balance like a tikka with a lighter stock.
    mimms2 likes this.

If there was a perfect barrel length for any calibre, then rifle manufacturers would agree. But they don't. Because there isn't.

If you want a 16" barrel 308 tikka with a can for pig and deer hunting, then go for it, the idea of not shortening a barrel because some Finish engineer who has never set foot in the NZ bush has decided that 22" is what God intended is silly.
    10-Ring, kbrebs, Phil_H and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    Sorry to Hijack this thread.

I've got a Howa mini 7.62x39 that I'm looking at getting suppressed.
    It's wearing a Weaver K4 4x38 at the moment.
    I have 3 DPT suppressors that all have excellent noise suppression, lightweight, and nimble handling. The only minor issue is the diameter is rather large at 43mm. When the scope is set to say 3x, the suppressor is visible through the scope. Totally functional but just a little imperfection.

The Weaver K4 seems to have a very wide field of view, often comparable to my other variable power scopes at 3x. I'm worried it might face the same problem if I chucked a DPT on it.

Does anyone know any brand of suppressors with smaller diameters?

Thanks
    Gunworks does a longer and slightly narrower one. At 35mm diameter. I use one and have found it very good.
    Dead is better and Synthetic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post
    Hi folks,
    been reading up on suppressors a fair bit, have a few outstanding questions. Since it's a different train of thought I figured I would start a new thread rather than add to the old one, which was very informative (https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....forward-54768/ )

I'm looking for a hunting suppressor on a 7mm-08 T3, and possibly a suppressor on a heavy barrel 308. Not fixated on anything in particular, just looking to gather more info on suppressors as I'm totally new to them. Probably muzzle forward type, lightweight, reliable. Mostly focused on sound reduction. Don't care a ton about overall length, hence muzzle forward.

DPT seems to come up time and again as the best overall in terms of design, service life, quality, and general preference. Supporting the forum doesn't hurt either

1) Are there more "common" threadings for .284 and .308 cal barrels? Obviously you can thread to any size that wall thickness will allow, but I see people mention that certain threads are more or less common, so may as well get a suppressor in a more common threading, just need to know what those are.

2) Sweet spot for number of baffles on a DPT muzzle forward brake for 7mm08 and 308 that's getting a complete burn before the muzzle?

3) Any significant reason to not get the stainless blast baffle? Assuming the stainless increases first baffle life at the cost of weight/cash? Aluminium baffle=$45, 25 grams; Stainless baffle=$90, 65 grams

4) Is there a significant loss in noise reduction using a .308 baffle setup on a .284 bore rifle? If the difference is negligible then may as well just get a .308 and throw it on the 7mm-08 when using it, but if there's a big increase in noise, then I guess I'd be buying two.

5) Strong competitors to the DPT suppressor? Pros and cons to them?
    With the thread choice- There are a couple factors that come into play. The inside diameter of the thread has to be large enough to leave some "meat" between the bore and the bottom(deepest) part of the thread cut. But the outside diameter has to be deep enough to have a shoulder for the suppressor to thread up against. For 308 most of mine have been 9/16 as the smith felt that 1/2 was a little closer to the bore than he was comfortable with. With a bull barrel there is plenty of choice but for a pencil barrel not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    If you want a 16" barrel 308 tikka with a can for pig and deer hunting, then go for it, the idea of not shortening a barrel because some Finish engineer who has never set foot in the NZ bush has decided that 22" is what God intended is silly.
    Tikka do (or did) both 20" and 24" models of the CTR in 260.

As you said, there is no perfect barrel length for a given cartridge.

Here’s a few articles from over seas might help or just muddy the waters even more
    https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/so...derators-86396
    https://www.gunmart.net/shooting-acc...ent/moderators
    Also from the deerstalking forum in the uk
    https://www.gunmart.net/shooting-acc...ent/moderators
    https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....erator.160210/
    From the varmints community
    Best Moderator ? - Suppressors / Moderators, Bipods, Anything else - UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts

https://www.sporting-rifle.com/featu...derator-mania/

And that should keep you out of trouble for awhile @canross
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

The dpt over barrel is great, Iv had both muzzle forward and over barrel and would reccomended the over barrel
    I do wish there was a smaller barrel diameter cavity when I am screwing it onto my thin barrelled Kimber's
    Just for the extra volume
    Also awesome to be able to add baffles on subsonic guns for extra suppression
    My dpt for a 44/77 ruger has something like 6 extras, some extras I bought and some I borrow off my 45cal dpt
    I have an Oceania defence alpine hunter on the way in 30cal that I plan to start using on everything 30 cal and under

Iv gathered a lot of 1/2-20 threaded guns and suppressors apparently it isn't the best for some reason
    It depends on the barrel thickness
    30cal will work great on a 284. i share suppressor between my 280 and 308.
    I don't bother with the stainless baffle as they are heavy and I'd rather two standard ones for the money.
    I'd just get the standard dpt and add baffles at a later stage if you want quieter
    I only tend to add baffles for subsonics the differences in supers isn't so noticeable.