Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Suppressor Recoil Reduction Testing???

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I agree the sled test isn't the best way to show it, but if you put a decent brake on a rifle & a suppressor on the same rifle I can guarantee you the recoil difference will surprise you

Make it a light 338 shooting 300s & its a complete no brainer, or even a 300 Wsm etc shooting 200-230s
    Completely agree, i just believe that a suppressor reduces the peak force of recoil from an unbraked or unsuppressed rifle than what the tests show as they spread a lower force over a longer period.

The new rig sounds interesting, what if you have a slow motion camera and then used a scale to be able to measure the initial acceleration, you would then be able to calcuate the initial force applied. Could be something to use in conjunction.

Would still have flaws as I don't think the forces are linear, especially with a brake as the recoil would start until the gasses behind the bullet hit the brake and decelerated it.

Would be really interesting in ultra slow mo to see exactly what is happening!

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Daggers_187 View Post
    Physics, how does it work?
    A theory, the exiting gas has some braking effect as it contacts the internal baffels, yes its contained but may still have an initial effect untill the internal pressure reaches x. plus the suppressor catches and slows the progress of the escaping gas releasing it over a longer time frame lowering the peak force as already claimed.
    There is little argument that a good break will have a greater influence but personally reducing recoil is only relevant to a comfortable level, Im not interested in having the best /latest/greatest, other considerations take precedent. Convenience being first and foremost. So, often a can will be the best option but other times a reasonably priced well designed brake will. ymmv
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin