Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Thermal, clip on

Thermal, clip on

Hi, wanting to get some advice, I have a dedicated night rifle with a pulsar thermal ,and a handheld thermal. Wanting to see if buying a clip on would be successful to have to let other shooters use or fit on my .223 so I can shoot hares etc…
    Are they any good? What ones ? Do they come able to fit varies scope sizes ? Appreciate any advice. Thought may be a cheaper option . Cheers
    TianBotha likes this.

Don’t have any experience with them but looked into it and Pard 008 can be used as a clip on and hand held. I’m sure the lads on here will have some more info. They a pretty good price too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 008 is the night vision unit, if you get the return to zero mounts you can use the scope as a hand held. It’s way better then lifting your gun all night to scan I soon got sick of that

I looked at getting one of these forward thermal attachments a while back and was put off by a couple of negative issues. Firstly you will get a zero shift if the unit does not go back on exactly in the same place as when you originally zeroed it, Which is highly likely given the nature of the bayonet type mounts they attach to. Secondly you are quite limited to the scope magnification you use, as you zoom the magnification up on the scope you loose all the attachment menu info. Can't be specific about the acceptable zoom range, its been a while since I looked. These things might not be a major issue if your shooing is mainly at closer range.
    BSA270 and witchcraft like this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Quote Originally Posted by zeropak View Post
    I looked at getting one of these forward thermal attachments a while back and was put off by a couple of negative issues. Firstly you will get a zero shift if the unit does not go back on exactly in the same place as when you originally zeroed it, Which is highly likely given the nature of the bayonet type mounts they attach to. Secondly you are quite limited to the scope magnification you use, as you zoom the magnification up on the scope you loose all the attachment menu info. Can't be specific about the acceptable zoom range, its been a while since I looked. These things might not be a major issue if your shooing is mainly at closer range.
    The Russian attachments ("Russan", I think) are bomb proof for holding zero. With my Tract scope I can comfortably zoom to 5-6, and higher at a push. Gets pixelly but on larger animals like wallaby its not a major out to 250 or so.
    Shearer and BSA270 like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Get a 50mm lens clip on with 12 micron pixels.Got more horse power and clearer view well beyond the lower spec clip ons.Big wider field of view too,see thru low mist,fog better and rain.I had a Guide 35mm clip on.The InFiray CH50V2 i got now would far out perform the 35mm guide.Iv never zeroed my clip ons,more important to get a high end attachment to centralise your clip on to your day scope.Tahr above named one attachment,they are the best you can buy for holding your unit on a day scope.
    Buy the best you can afford,enjoy.

I'm in chch
    Next weekend if u wanna loom at infiray
    I compared it to the pulsar , infiray wonas tahr said get the rusan monocular and mount for it
    Pm if u wanna have alooksee
    Shearer and Marty Henry like this.

Kia Ora,

I'm new, mostly just read but for this thread I thought I'd join and contribute.

I have and use a Pulsar Krypton 2 FXG50 thermal clip on, it has a 50mm objective, 12 micron, 640*480

It has a solid bayonet type clipon adapter, mines 50mm to fit my scope, it's great but you'd need a bayonet adapter sized for each scope you'd want to use this device on if you wanted it for mate's to use.

This model comes with a 3* monocular so you get two devices in one although I also use a dedicated Pulsar thermal monocular but have found its only a matter of seconds swapping from monocular to scope mounted which is fine in some scenarios but sometimes you only have seconds to make the shot so one of each device is often more efficient.

These are expensive $6500 but I'm really happy with it.

I think if you want something to lend your mates your better off with a dedicated thermal scope perhaps a part or sytong

https://www.pulsar-nv.com/glo/produc...nts/krypton-2/
    Trout and Shearer like this.

About 18 months ago i was looking for a Pulsar KryptonXG50 clip on.At the time there was only 3 sitting in shops in the South Island but they already had holding deposites on them.If one buyer defaulted,i got it.No such luck,so i got a InFiRay ch50v2 from Broncos NI.It has similar specs as above and around the same price.The XQ50 was a top spec unit and a top spec price 8.5k,Guess i saved a couple of k.
    TimC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    The Russian attachments ("Russan", I think) are bomb proof for holding zero. With my Tract scope I can comfortably zoom to 5-6, and higher at a push. Gets pixelly but on larger animals like wallaby its not a major out to 250 or so.
    Rusan are Croatian I think but yes very good solid bayonets . The other option is Smart clip from Slovenia which I prefer due to the locking mechanism. Its not better mechanically but has a cleaner look and easier to lock with cold fingers.

Name:  DSCN1505.JPG
Views: 388
Size:  874.8 KB
    Tahr and Trout like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Hi Thankyou all for your advice/ comments. Great place to learn stuff. I never thought about the zero thing. May need to rethink it. Sharki , thanks for the offer hoping to be away at coast hunting so will miss your offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Philb View Post
    Hi Thankyou all for your advice/ comments. Great place to learn stuff. I never thought about the zero thing. May need to rethink it. Sharki , thanks for the offer hoping to be away at coast hunting so will miss your offer.
    Dont stress the zeroing set up. Its a one time set up, simply fit, shoot, measure the distance of impact from point of aim then adjust the appropriate axis the correct amount, shoot to confirm.
    The repeatability when you take it off and refit it is very good once you come to grips with it. Rusan have a good demonstration here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykI3rj0qMI8

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Rusan are Croatian I think but yes very good solid bayonets . The other option is Smart clip from Slovenia which I prefer due to the locking mechanism. Its not better mechanically but has a cleaner look and easier to lock with cold fingers.

Attachment 235003
    Where do you get them from?

Thanks
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Where do you get them from?

Thanks
    https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/manuf...smartclip.html

Nice clip but I don't think Id bother swapping to one if I already had a rusan. The infiray one that came with the ch50 was agricultural, and that's being generous.
    Last edited by sneeze; 08-10-2023 at 03:19 PM.

I got a smaller Rusan thru a auzzie company,arrived 2 weeks later.I on sold it when i brought the bigger Ch50.Very smooth bayonet.