Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: what to leave in bore for long storage

what to leave in bore for long storage

I've got 3 different 303s which would only get bought out of the safe and used once a year. What do you guys put in the bore for long term protection in storage?

Have they shot corrosive ammo at any stage? If not, then a damn good clean followed by a strip out of all chemicals that might be left followed by a spray wax that's allowed to flow right through is the best long term storage. Won't stuff anything up like wood etc, as once dry it won't run away.

But, it's a bitch to get out.

Best option if you want something to protect and be easily cleaned is a heavier grade of oil and store muzzle-down...

no3 and no4 probably would have a some stage in their lives? no 5 not sure they look to have been well cleaned etc as bores look very good and I've given them a good clean as well when I got them. I store al my rifles muzzle down. Ill just use a heavy grade engine oil..
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    I've got 3 different 303s which would only get bought out of the safe and used once a year. What do you guys put in the bore for long term protection in storage?
    If using corrosive ammo te lean the next day…. And then just store with hoppes. It does
    Provide ongoing protection as well
    As continuing to work away on fouling over time

I have had some guns in long term storage for years and tried a few products. I have moved away from petroleum based products as they eventually evaporate. The best consistent long term storage product I have found and can use recommend is Ezoxx. ( synthetic product) Of course having the safe moisture free is a must for a start. Do some reading on the product.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    after treating with hoppes no 9 ( if fired ) I use remington oil for storage - never had a problem with it - I have a few that dont really get used much ( to old ) and I put dry rag thru twice a year and fresh oil seems to have served me well
    Trout, Micky Duck and blip like this.

Corrosion X is very good at stopping rust. I use it on the outside of all my guns but there's no reason you can't use it in the bore. Be aware that no matter what product you use for rust protection in a bore, it might not save you if there is significant fouling left in the bore. Areas of heavy carbon buildup often lead to corrosion under them, ie "pitting".

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    Corrosion X is very good at stopping rust. I use it on the outside of all my guns but there's no reason you can't use it in the bore. Be aware that no matter what product you use for rust protection in a bore, it might not save you if there is significant fouling left in the bore. Areas of heavy carbon buildup often lead to corrosion under them, ie "pitting".
    dead right always remember what me old FS boss Russ a damn good gunsmith used to say solvents penetrate - oils coat - it is possible to put oil over fouling and have it sitting there eating away quietly - I use hoppes no 9 after firing and leave some in for a couple of days and then dry barrell - okay no green tinge on rag then Remington oil to store - 3-4 day trips I use break free at night not to much just a very light coat with a rag on a pull thru - I avoid the real thin CRC petroleum types many a good walnut stock stained with that stuff
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Many a good scope fogged too
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Once bore is clean you could use deodorised fish oil or CRC Softseal. Both are excellent long term and can be removed with brake cleaner and rag when required.

what about lanacoat ?(also CRC I believe)
    #DANNYCENT

For ever I have used Lanacoat or Softseal on anything mechanical that I leave outdoors.
    Sent a Diesel pump out to Maui, covered with Softseal, when it came back corrosion was negligible.
    I'm not proud, I spray all carbon steel rifles with Softseal and leave it on, when it gets warm moss and twigs stick to it, good camo.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Branded synthetic gun oil for me either G96 or Bore Tech

I was away from NZ for a decade. I cleaned my barrels to bare metal (Cu and C removed) and saturated them internally and externally with (sticky) chain oil. Stocks were removed. Barreled actions stored horizontally. Conditions were perfect on return. They weren't stored in the greatest of places - under a work bench at to mother's.
    Wouldn't really recommend my method though for short to medium term.

For short term storage (weekly range shoot season) I flood mine with Hoppes 9 and store them barrel down. Hoppes is pretty much useless for Cu removal but if left in the barrel for a few days will work. I still have a bottle of the old Hoppes. Latest stuff is synthetic and minus the shite that Kalifornia bans.

For barrel oil otherwise I have been giving Frog Lube a run. Have in the past used a lot of the other snake oils as well.

For good general corrosion protection (not firearms) I like CRC Long Life or CRC Marine.

https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Inside vehicle doors I like fish oil. IIRC used to be called fisholene.
    Tried lanolin years ago but cannot remember what my conclusions were.
    Last edited by zimmer; 17-06-2023 at 01:38 PM.
    Woody and dannyb like this.

I was wondering about a sticky chain bar oil..