Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What sort of accuracy are you getting from a factory Rem700 barrel???

Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post
    Yeah I'm running an overbarrel sup on mine. It heats it up real hot after about 5-10 shots and the groups open up.
    Yep. I have new gunworks sup on mine. Struggled last night with new ammo to get it down under 2inches because of heat. 20 inch Sporting barrel just ain't made for range work.

Best group I've ever shot was out of Baldbobs factory .243 rem. Was around the 8mm c2c mark, bipod and sandbag.

This is how my 270 shoots, bottom right was from previous load test.

100% factory untouched rem 700 sps in a sender stock, bipod and jacket rear rest.

Nothing super, but good enough for a donor action

Chris

Well if you want picks

Factory barrel of a taitanium screwed in to a Mod 7... head space was a touch tight (under spec so had to mod the die) but thats it, Plenty of groups like that with this rig.

(left group was 1gr hotter but opened up)

and this was starting to sort loads for a bog std 7-08 SPS SS that I used to own... before the days of weight sorting brass or even good brass so that may acount for the flyers on some .... or the flyers could have been just me (std trigger, bypod and barrel not freefloated or bedded)

Fishing ... Hunting its all good

seems I need Adam to help me tune my rifle then.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    You reloading for it scottrods?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Lol adams not that gud he just likes to play.. What kind of rifle you have jonothon? Ill be over your side working as of nxt month.. If you wanna hand getting reloads going ill lend ya a hand... Show you that maybe its not heat making 2" groups lol

Sorry to disappoint you but I don't handload. No equipment, modern home - internal garage and frankly no space at home, kids at home too. "my bench" is solely for fly tying. I have thought about getting a load developed for it but the price has put me off. It's meant to be a hunting rifle not a bench rester.

The rifle has had barrel chopped to 20inches and bedded by previous owner. Robbie Tiffen thought it was a pretty good job for an SPS. I don't shoot off a bipod. In the field I use kneeling position, off the backpack or if in a possie I'll use my shooting sticks. At the range I'm using beanbags & was getting 1inch groups with 80gr federal blue box factory loads. Hunting I've used Willhelm Arms loaded 85gr sierra GK's which have been comparable.

Took the scope off recently to let Robbie recrown the barrel and fit the suppressor. First rounds have only been to get the rifle on paper without the suppressor. So we got it into 2inch groups then put the suppressor on. It was shooting 2inches higher as a result. A couple of more rounds and it's back at the vertical height I want it but the average spread is still 2 inches. By this time I'd shot 20rounds in 30mins and the barrel was hot, I had 3 rds left and it was 9pm so I gave up. My eyes weren't up to it and I didn't have time to let the barrel cool.
    NZDA has a couple range days coming up so I'll be able to try again.

Get adam to have a play.

He has ALOT of time on his hands.

Less nowadays in the hours of darkness though...

Chris

Something's not right there Scott. I'm running a 20" bog standard SPS (apart from being 20") with an over barrel. This is the kind of stuff I get at 100m:

[img][/img]

From center to center some of those are 0.5 MOA. I'm typically always under an inch with my hand loads off a rest and a beanbag.

I wish I could group like that. Mine are minute of deer only.

How clean / dirty does the barrel have to be then? I'm still seeing copper fouling with the blue indicator but I was told you need "some" to provide lubrication.

I wish I could group like that. Mine are minute of deer only.

How clean / dirty does the barrel have to be then? I'm still seeing copper fouling with the blue indicator but I was told you need "some" to provide lubrication.
    You need to get rid of every last bit of that copper and fire ,clean ,fire ,clean etc until there is a noticeable drop in copper fouling.
    The barrel will never break in if it is hidden under copper.

looks like I got my day planned tomo then.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Lol, it's just that guys are better shots now & can't measure stuff as well as they used to
    There is alot of truth in the first part of that Greg, guys shoot every day across the country and most can barely hold 2 moa, in alot of cases almost certainly the rifle they are shooting can do better than that.
    On forums such as this,guys in general have much more experience than your average 1.2.3 times a year hunter, and on this forum in particular alot are shooters as well as hunters.
    I would expect most on here to be able to hold Moa [ at least at 100 yrds] if there rifle can , therefore it is not a suprise to me that a considerable number of people on this forum talk about sub MOA groups as a matter of course.
    In fact I would be concerned it they didn't.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    There is alot of truth in the first part of that Greg, guys shoot every day across the country and most can barely hold 2 moa, in alot of cases almost certainly the rifle they are shooting can do better than that.
    On forums such as this,guys in general have much more experience than your average 1.2.3 times a year hunter, and on this forum in particular alot are shooters as well as hunters.
    I would expect most on here to be able to hold Moa [ at least at 100 yrds] if there rifle can , therefore it is not a suprise to me that a considerable number of people on this forum talk about sub MOA groups as a matter of course.
    In fact I would be concerned it they didn't.
    I agree tho there are members(and getting more all the time) who perhaps are a bit lower down the learning curve and should be "helped out" not "put out" if they cant meet that yardstick.