Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What Stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Get a boyds, cheap enough that you can have a go lightening it as much as possible, drill some holes in the butt under the recoil pad, remove material in barrel channel etc, if you bugger it up its not the end of the world!
    Boyd's won't ship here anymore. Hi Tech wouldn't either last I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Boyd's won't ship here anymore. Hi Tech wouldn't either last I checked.
    He is in Aussie!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    He is in Aussie!
    You say that like it's a bad thing, which means I'm obviously taking it the wrong way because everyone loves us!!!
    Normie likes this.

Carry on then

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing, which means I'm obviously taking it the wrong way because everyone loves us!!!
    Haha, not at all, Boyds will ship to Aussie but not NZ, racists! Hahaha!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Do Boyd's make a synthetic of any quality at all?

What do you use Beavis?

They do very good laminates, they start out pretty light and they are only about US$100 plus shipping so won't break the bank.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    I held off getting a 300wsm and now have conceived another idea! That is to resurrect my Remington Model 700 in .270 and have that as a lightweight hunting rifle. I'm looking to change the stock on it to shave some weight and possibly get it fluted.
    My question is what stock?

I've considered McMillan, HS Precision and or Manners... I emailed the McMillan bloke and he quoted me $750 to my door which was a bit more than I anticipated and here in Aus thats almost a brand new tikka T3 haha

What's everyones thoughts? I just want something durable, lightweight and comfortable for hunting. I am leaning towards the HS precision at the moment because its so much cheaper but thought I'd gather some thoughts first.

Cheers,

BH
    Hey mate have you considerd ackly improving your 270?.Just curious and for all the rest of you gun gods im just asking the question not trying to start anything.

As others have said, getting a light aftermarket stock ain't gonna be cheap. I wouldn't have thought a laminate stock would be what your after, I no mine isn't light but its not a boyds its a tikka laminate.

If I was you I would just keep your 270 in original condition, use it once a year then hand it down to your kids. Buy a t3 in whatever calibre (I have 300wsm) and thrash the shit out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    Hey mate have you considerd ackly improving your 270?.Just curious and for all the rest of you gun gods im just asking the question not trying to start anything.
    Cue shit fight haha nah I actually have considered converting to AI and I would like to but I just can't be bothered with the extra money and hassles to be honest. I was hoping no-one would say it and get me on to the idea though haha

Perazzi - That has always been the plan but me being the douche bag I am treat my guns as sentient beings. Therefore I feel bad when I leave them in the safe for too long without using them. The old man when he gave it to me though told me to use it well and put some big animals on the deck with it so I feel like I should be using it. It's had a good life so far though, its shot some big red skins and fallow in its time., even my chital and sambar. My goal used to be Australia's six with it and I'm over half way there so may as well keep going! ha

My plan has been basically this:

Either -

a) Buy a T3 or A7 in 300wsm and put a swaro Z5 on it and just use the .270 for my one hog deer trip a year which generally ends in us seeing zero animals and leaving it at that.

or

b) Put on a new stock for the .270, eventually get a Z5 for it and use it as a high country sambar/NZ rig; and then put the VX-III on a .223 one day for varmint hunting.

Which then leaves my Bavarian 300wm, which cost me around $4k with what I've spent on it so far, for red deer during the small times I'm not hunting with the bow haha
    Just not enough hunting time I think, maybe I should just quit my job, go on the dole and hunt full time - then every gun wins!!!
    Toby likes this.