Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: What's the pick of the lever action calibers?

was factory ammo at your local one of the requirements.
    z
    Russian 22. likes this.

^This. Should definitely be a factor in the decision.
    Russian 22. likes this.

MB
    I would love to give a single shot Bergara 300BLK a go with factory subsonic hunting ammo* and a suppressor.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...ic#!/#features

It might be a weird fetish, but I think it would make an awesome little bush rifle IF the rifle/ammo shot well.
    Russian 22. and Preacher like this.

I've been seriously considering similar to what one of the members here did with a subsonic .308 Baikal. Except mine is in x39. Clubbie maybe? Agree about being a sweet lil bush rifle.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Right no one said it but the browning BLR is a really good rifle once you work the trigger which coming from the factory is a right @#**%!!!!
    I’ve shot loads of stuff with mine. Mine is the original Belgium made model 1973 in .243 which I’ve thought about changing to .357 but it’s a great bush gun. If you want to shoot to 300 then you can but you will need to practice with it to get on target.
    Four shot magazine and in most calibers. .243 .308 .30 06 .357 and the poo
    What’s not to like!
    Name:  10EB5744-AEA4-4CC2-9D26-DC3BE8371E72.jpeg
Views: 501
Size:  198.9 KB
    Name:  5BEE0479-1ADE-40DD-AB1A-193FB3A71E00.jpeg
Views: 641
Size:  802.1 KB
    Name:  545DFB1B-2C7B-42EA-A1FC-D35FC2AD7902.jpeg
Views: 583
Size:  708.3 KB
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

I had a 30/06 for sale before Christmas. The BLRs are great, a little on the heavy side, but fun and easy to use. Definitely worth a look. Especially the takedowns. Saw one a few years back in 450 Marlin....
    Russian 22. likes this.

Banned
    Agreed the BLR's are good, but heavy and unbalanced compared to the slick 99.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    was factory ammo at your local one of the requirements.
    z
    For now it is. I haven't really felt the need to reload yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Right no one said it but the browning BLR is a really good rifle once you work the trigger which coming from the factory is a right @#**%!!!!
    I’ve shot loads of stuff with mine. Mine is the original Belgium made model 1973 in .243 which I’ve thought about changing to .357 but it’s a great bush gun. If you want to shoot to 300 then you can but you will need to practice with it to get on target.
    Four shot magazine and in most calibers. .243 .308 .30 06 .357 and the poo
    What’s not to like!
    Attachment 107902
    Attachment 107903
    Attachment 107904
    I saw one last year at a store. Looked really nice. Action was smooth. I'll keep a look out

northdude
    Ive also got a single shot h&r handi rifle thats a good little machine just be carefull tho as some of them have a problem with the case sticking in the chamber had a 243 that did it not sure if its just 243 or other cals as well
    Moa Hunter and Russian 22. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Ive also got a single shot h&r handi rifle thats a good little machine just be carefull tho as some of them have a problem with the case sticking in the chamber had a 243 that did it not sure if its just 243 or other cals as well
    Maybe needs a chamber polish?

i have a marlin 44 mag and a marlin 30 30. both work well. i wouldnt touch a henry as they are pot metal not steel
    Russian 22. likes this.

Russian 22. likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i have a marlin 44 mag and a marlin 30 30. both work well. i wouldnt touch a henry as they are pot metal not steel
    I have two, a Marlin .44 Mag and a 45-70 which is obviously not a pistol chambering.

My .44 Magnum is my favorite rifle. The others are great, but the .44 Mag is the most serviceable and practical. If I am traveling by helicopter a lot, it fits perfectly under the back seat of a 500 and it does not matter who pulls it out or shoves it in, being narrow and slick sided. Scopes get hell doing this.
    BRADS and Russian 22. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    All the centrefire Henry’s lever guns are steel, it’s the .22 rimfires that have pot metal receivers.
    Russian 22. likes this.

As a bit of a lever gun purist, I'd say a Winchester 1894 in 30-30. Dependable, balanced, and 30-30 has knockdown power out to as far as the open sights will work for you. Suppressors and scopes don't belong on lever guns, learn to use open sights. They don't fog up, survive knocks and falls easy, and make you cooler. The older ones prior to the 1990's don't have a safety, just use the hammer half cock, and would be my pick. A Rossi 1892 in 44 magnum would also be a good pick if you don't reload, and is a bit shorter/handier if you get a carbine. If you ever get into reloading, 44-40 is another fine and historically correct option.
    I know you say 'only bush', but it's not unheard of to see deer on slips on the bush, or across gullies etc, so bear that in mind too.
    Russian 22. likes this.
    More meplat, more better.