Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Who's Taking their 9.3 Mauser For the Roar?

Hi GPM
    Thanks for the advice, I have both powders and use 2208 with the Lapua 286 for about 2150 fps, I am going to use 2206H (which I have plenty of) to try and replicate the load you have found, start at 45.5 and work up. Hope to get some loading done this afternoon and off to the range to check. I read on an US forum that the 9.3x57 is regarded capable out to 300 yds for large game such as elk etc, I won't be going that far, however this has really got me interested in getting the open sights and an old a reliable cartridge back in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger7mm View Post
    Hi GPM
    Thanks for the advice, I have both powders and use 2208 with the Lapua 286 for about 2150 fps, I am going to use 2206H (which I have plenty of) to try and replicate the load you have found, start at 45.5 and work up. Hope to get some loading done this afternoon and off to the range to check. I read on an US forum that the 9.3x57 is regarded capable out to 300 yds for large game such as elk etc, I won't be going that far, however this has really got me interested in getting the open sights and an old a reliable cartridge back in action.
    Greetings,
    I gather that the 9.3x62 came out not long after the 9.3x57 and was expected to replace it but the Scandinavians had other ideas feeling that it was plenty for their needs. There are not many small deer in those countries.
    GPM.

The 9.3x57 and the 9.3x62 were popular original German Mauser inventions. The 8x57 was illgal in Europe for a time after WW1 hence the necked up 9x57 and the survival of the 9.3x57. The 9.3x62 became a much more popular international cartridge, much like the British .318 Express. The .318 was a standard for the British Empire (Eddie Herrick killed his Fiordland moose with one) and the 9.3x62 did the same for everyone else - including the British Empire as well. You could buy 9.3 Mauser ammo in every country in Europe and Africa, in everyone's colonies. It was like the .375 H&H of its day.
    The only thing that did away with it was the rise of American international hunters, who never heard of it, and the minimum caliber standards in Africa that came into law, which outlawed anything under .375 for the dangerous game of Africa. Combine that with the availability of cheap Winchester model 70's in .375 H&H, Kyoch stopping production of their big game safari cartridges, DWM and RWS having been bombed flat - and so the 9.3x62 faded off in the 1960's......except for in Scandinavia.

It is interesting that corner of the world preserved not only the old Mauser cartridges, but also the old style class of Mauser rifles - all the Husqvarna rifles up until the 1640 are clones of the Mauser offerings from pre WW2. (Except for the use of Model 96 action in some early models.) When Mauser sporting rifles ceased due to the bombing of the factory in WW2, the Swedish people at Husqvarna thought they would simply carry on making them. Even down to the stock design and checkering (cheaper models having no checkering on the foreend etc.) Even the side safety the later rifles had was a Mauser feature they had already been offering in the 1930's. The model 46, the Model 640, even the 1600. It's like a little corner of the world where Mauser rifles still continued for another twenty five years after the war, and that preserved the old cartridges too, the 9x57, the 9.3x57 and the 9.3x62.

Hi JD
    My Husky pictured has "9.3 Kal" stamped on the barrel, and there is no suffix numbers for length, and I just assumed it to be a 57, I then necked up 8x57 cases to take the 9.3 projectile. They work well. I guess we should be careful to not mix the 9 and the 9.3 versions?.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Re JohnDuxbury mention of the 8.57 above.
    Interesting to note, for me anyway that the new Cz model 600 Lux is offered to Nz in 8.57 but not the 30 06,[ regardless of what current magazine adverts say] guess they will be able to sell every aught 6 they make in the USA for the time being,
    It's a damn fine looking rifle.
    https://www.czub.cz/firearms-and-pro...uct/cz-600-lux
    dannyb and JohnDuxbury like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Interesting to note, for me anyway that the new Cz model 600 Lux is offered to Nz in 8.57 but not the 30 06,[ regardless of what current magazine adverts say] guess they will be able to sell every aught 6 they make in the USA for the time being,
    Dayummm that is prettty
    jakewire likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    .30-06's are hard to sell in NZ. (I dont know that 8x57 would be any easier, but I would buy one. But then, I am the one buying .30/06's as well...)
    But I would like one of those new CZs....

I wouldnt miss the CZ550. I have had two of them, and they are way too heavy and the too bulky around the action. My mannlicher stock version weighed 8.5 pounds without a scope.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I have a mate, whom you will no doubt get to meet JohnDuxbury as we are not too far away from you
    He has the 550 in 375, a rifle which I have to admit, I am pleased about the weight,
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yes, something like that you would want the weight. (My last one was a 6.5x55 with a 20 inch barrel, so the weight was a bit over the top.)