Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: First Public Land Hunt.

Great report - hopefully the "bug" sticks, I can assure you from experiece that it will get easier from now on, both in the planning and physically (once you get past 50 you learn that climbing hills is less about perspiration and more about inspiration!). As long as you have a basic level of fitness and plenty of enthusiasm (and that comes from both self and good company) anything is possible. The fact that you were seeing decent numbers of animals tells me you were doing things "right".

Good yarn fella. Keep at it and you will become more and more successful. You have achieved what a lot don’t - and that’s shooting a public land animal. A huge number of people hunt on farm land and bush edge and have never done what you have. Some have shot ALOT of animals on private land but I’d take your story any day of the week!��
    Trout likes this.

great writeup...funny when you shot deer and thought...hmm long way from car...I did same thing up there 20+ years ago after eating meal of hare in hut,shot on scree above hut on way in....we walked out for evening glass,downwind of hut with fire still going and I shot a stag of similar age to yours in velvet...as it dropped I said to self...you silly bugga its a long carry out from here.
    is the huge old campoven still there???

Bos
    Great story, enjoyed reading it. Well done on the slog; I know the feeling but its the mental toughness or stubborness that keeps ya going when you think you're buggered.

Bus driver
    Enjoyed that...
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Banned
    Thanks for the story bro - it's nice to have a success story posted for some good reading during lockdown.

That's an honest and very relatable write up- brilliantly told. I'm sure most if not all of us have wounded animals and felt the guilt and anxiety you describe until we managed to put the deed right.

Reading such a well told tale is just what I needed with my own trips having been curtailed due to lockdown .

Cheers to your success ... I'll be looking out for future installments.

Cheers for the write up, it’s these of things that keep us primed for when the lockdown is over I reckon.

Well done, thanks for sharing!

Great trip report and description of exactly how you felt at different times during the hunt. Congrats on the tahr, better than anything I have shot to date.