Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: All terrain tyres

Tire rack didn’t give me an option for shipping to NZ, what do they do for freight?

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Landcruiser. Tall and skinny is my preference. Currently using 33/10.5R15, 255s should be about the same but ever so slightly taller and skinnier

E: only option available in NZ for 33/10.5 is BFG, Maxxis, Toyo, General Tyre etc make them but they’re not sold here, so looking at similar alternative sizes
    you after a A/T or M/T?

Quote Originally Posted by madmaori View Post
    you after a A/T or M/T?
    I prefer an AT (Have yet to find a situation where I need a MT over a good aired down AT and I do a wee bit of 4wding) but I think Coopers only come in the ST MAXX in the tall & skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I prefer an AT (Have yet to find a situation where I need a MT over a good aired down AT and I do a wee bit of 4wding) but I think Coopers only come in the ST MAXX in the tall & skinny.
    you are correct , the only thing i have been able to come up with is the BFG option and i have searched quite a few!!
    through me you would be looking at $440 each fitted

Gimp, you have to email them on shipping.

Tall and skinny is the way to go for (almost) all off road situations. Think back to the old school Land Rovers and Land Cruisers. No big fat tyres on those. I used to run 7.00x16 cross ply Dunlop Universals with tubes on split rims on my African Hilux, they called them “biscuit” tyres. You wouldn’t believe what those tyres could handle. The 7.50x16 General Super All Grips, Falkens, etc, all tall and thin. So yeah Gimp, that’s the way on your Cruiser. The 225s I run now on the Hilux aren’t the tallest but I had the full monty bash plates underneath and they’ve saved the day more than a few times. I tried taller tyres on the Hilux but too much rubbing in the rough stuff, and loss of low down grunt.

Tall and skinny works well in the snow as well from what I've seen, they seem to bit into it better than big wide ones that float along the surface

Absolutely loving the 265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.
    Replaced the Goodride SL366 MT's that were on my Pajero when I got it - soooo much quieter. I can hear the stereo! No big drifts or fishtailing in the wet either.
    And gravel roads.... wow. So much bite.
    Haven't been stuck yet either. Low tyre pressure in an aggressive AT = going places.
    cambo and madmaori like this.

Tall and skinny works almost everywhere apart from sand or peametal beaches.
    So many people think wider is better when they get tyres.
    In fact, the wider you go the less contact pressure the tyre has so LESS traction.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

I have 285/75/16 BFG under one of my Cruisers, basically a 33/11.5/16
    They are a lot skinnier than a 33/12.5/15, they had a more upright sidewall, so they don't sit as 'fat' on the ground if that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
    No big drifts or fishtailing in the wet either.
    And gravel roads.... wow. So much bite.
    Well thats not much fun!
    madmaori likes this.

Had a wee incident with a tyre while driving to Auckland last week, so stopped to sort the issue...

Ended up with a set of Micky Thompson Deegan 38's in 20", good looking AT tyre and are pretty good noise wise on road, and I thought worth the $1700 I paid.

I have a good set of SAT 7.50x16 on hilux rims here, they'd bolt straight on....

@ROKTOY I'm going to pm you about your SATs

Just dropped a bit over $2k on a set of Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3s in 285/70r17 for the 100 series. Got 67,000km out of my Achilles MT's, on average they're three quarters worn, so slippery tracks are slippery-er. Had a couple slides on wet roads recently and they're showing signs of wear and tear from off road work, plus we're heading well into winter, so time for a change. Only about $500 extra for a set of Mickey's and with the awesome reviews and expected kms I should get from them it'll be interesting to see if that extra money is justified. Was going to go for their ATZ, which is a chunky tyre itself, but the MTZ is pretty darn sexy (and I do enough climbing around steep muddy tracks at this time of year to justify them)
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.