Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: chains

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Doesn't look like it.... Triton tyres are 30mm wider and don't think the outback chain will fit, was hoping to avoid having to buy new chains for it.... Guess there is only one way to know for sure...

Lightbulb moment....landcruiser is running 265/75/16 wonder if those would fit....
    https://www.snowsweat.co.nz/content/24/26/

Probably close.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Throwing the numbers through the calculator the triton are 50mm smaller diameter and 20mm narrower.

https://www.carbibles.com/tire-size-calculator/
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

@gadgetman cheers for the car bible link, was tying to find some form of calculator to work it out... Will find the trolley jack and try them and see how they work... Once the half inch of snow has gone

Quote Originally Posted by yerimaginaryM8 View Post
    Looking at buyings some chains that will cope with ice and compacted snow.

I have seen these which come with a rubber tensioner, this outfit seems to do them at a good price

https://www.hamco.co.nz/ProductDetai...ProductId=2845

but also these,

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car...1674114528.htm

which I think repco sells as well, they are more expensive and and a tensioner is another $30.

Has anyone used either of these types? or could they recommend another option? Leaning towards the cheaper ones as I wouldn't use them much but wondering if it is a buy once cry once scenario?

Cheers in advance
    I know this thread is a wee bit old, however, what sort of chains did you end up getting, and are they any good?

For what it's worth, I haven't had a lot to do with chains myself, however I bought the set (of 4) off Burnside Motors about 4 years ago when I put 35's on my Hilux. I bought the 7.3mm icebreaker ones and used them in the snow. After going as far as I could in four wheel drive I then placed them on 'all four' and they worked perfectly. Another fella I know bought four of the same for his 2WD lux a month or so ago, again from Burnside Motors (he only has the standard size tyres, however, he still went to the 7.3mm icebreakers) and we encountered some mud patches, in which his vehicle would go forward no more, so I decided to put them on the front only, and we pulled put piece of piss.

I never used the rubber tensioners in either of these two scenarios, for we never needed them!

Name:  P1040692 (1280x721).jpg
Views: 285
Size:  642.0 KB

Name:  P1040712 (1280x721).jpg
Views: 278
Size:  509.4 KB
    john m and 223nut like this.

Ended getting a set off the yellow site for a damn good price, haven't needed them yet.

Broken set of snow sweats isn't going to be an easy fix but ice breakers I use over winter on ski roads are going fine. Have stretched three links over 2 seasons so bear it in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Ended getting a set off the yellow site for a damn good price, haven't needed them yet.

Broken set of snow sweats isn't going to be an easy fix but ice breakers I use over winter on ski roads are going fine. Have stretched three links over 2 seasons so bear it in mind.
    Better to have them and not need them, than to not have them and need them! I constantly carry them in the truck every winter now.

Also, better to have stretched them than to have them go the other way and come up 2 or 3 links short after a day at the ski field! So did you stretch them just by normal driving or were you working them damn hard? I'm probably more like my first comment, whereby I have but don't use that regularly. In 4 years I've only ever used them once or twice.

Stretched by being used for a couple of weeks solid every day, not working hard but over gravel it covered snow for 70% on my drive totheski field. (have a vehicle dedicated to the ski field so chains stay on for the winter once they are on)

I ended up getting the alpinestar vbars which come with tensioners. My only complaint (minor) would be that the clip/toggle thingy that locks the cam lock in place can easily wriggle off the link of the chain (not while in use) I should be able to fix that with a bit of wire.