Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Deisel...what ttp get checked

Deisel...what ttp get checked

Hi Guys

Looking to swap the car for a 4wd, considering diesel. I have never owned Diesel before and as I only have up to 12k to spend will be getting something with around 200ks.

I have spotted a landcruiser prado SWB, 93 with 194k and was thinking of getting it checked over. What do I need to ask them to check out?

It is a KZJ-TE so know about cracking head issues and getting cooling system checked. It is a manual so I understand they are better.

Any tips advise welcome, flying by the seat of my pants here!

Cheers

Dino
    "If God wanted us to be vegetarian....why did he make meat taste so good?"

How about a 2001+ Ford Courier/Bounty. They've got a pretty good rep.
    deepsouthaussie likes this.

If ever looking at a Toyota with a 1KZ, get it compression tested, a leak down test done, and pressure test the cooling system while the glow plugs are out.
    This will give you good evidence if the head is cracked.

Apart from all that, the usual stuff when looking at any vehicle applies.

If the RUC's are out, legally the seller has to update (but that never happens ), so screw them down what the fine would be if you got rolled by the poopoo - twice that of the RUC cost. (RUC's cost approx $55/1000km)
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

and after you buy the vehicle with the 1KZ, give the cooling system a makeover. cleanout or replace the radiator, get viscous hub on the fan oiled and set, change the thermostat.

TD42

/thread
    Pointer and gadgetman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Hi Guys

Looking to swap the car for a 4wd, considering diesel. I have never owned Diesel before and as I only have up to 12k to spend will be getting something with around 200ks.

I have spotted a landcruiser prado SWB, 93 with 194k and was thinking of getting it checked over. What do I need to ask them to check out?

It is a KZJ-TE so know about cracking head issues and getting cooling system checked. It is a manual so I understand they are better.

Any tips advise welcome, flying by the seat of my pants here!

Cheers

Dino
    Had a diesel got sick of buying RUC all the time plus paying higher rego, got a 3ltr petrol pajero cheap as to run probably cheaper then a diesel if you combined all the charges together. my 2c.

toyota equals over priced.

Thanks Guys

I missed the 93 70 series land cruiser, lots of Later model prados and surfs available though. The Toyotas certainly hold their price well,

I only do about 15k a year, probably just as cheep to run a petrol…have to do some more research.

more time on the frigging inter web

cheers

Dino
    "If God wanted us to be vegetarian....why did he make meat taste so good?"

I have a ford courier on trademe. Been a great truck but I am looking to upgrade to a ranger. Pm me if your interested

I have one

Name:  DSC00691.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  919.2 KB

And have it up for sale very sortly (you wont want to go near it)

I did a lot of research before I got it... (and got a leakdown test done)
    I can give you a lot of advice if you do go for it....(pm me if you want)
    But I would say DONT DO IT!!!!
    there is nothing you can do to stop the head from cracking... they crack...that's it.... usualy around the 200 to 250km mark to replace the head you are looking at a minimum of 2K in parts if you can do the work.... if not your looking at between 3.5 to 4.5k for a mechanic to do it..... the ECU's are faulty and usually give up.. min $450 to repair + mechanics fees to diagnose and re fit etc... Because they were never imported into NZ as a new wagon you cant get repair manuals.... and because they are a mix of Landcruiser / surf... ordering parts seems to be a 50/05 on it arriving as the correct one
    12k to buy one is a high car yard price and it had better be a bloody mint one for that.
    if you looking at putting bigger wheels on it.. ... stop.... you cant go bigger than 31 x10.5 without a lift . (or 265/70 r15) or kiss the guards later..

I have been there done that and as much as I like my wagon and it is great in the rough they all have the same faults and I don't recommend anyone goes thru what I have, and have now seen and meet others in the same boat.

If you do get it.. plan for a cracked head... If it has been done before you get it... make sure they replaced it with the expensive genuine Toyotas head as the cheaper heads don't last long.

Any way that's my Rant!!!
    Pointer, JoshC and ishoot10s like this.

Shoulda bought a FORD huh? Tsk nice Nisan sitting for sale at Tauriko!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Thanks Guys

I missed the 93 70 series land cruiser, lots of Later model prados and surfs available though. The Toyotas certainly hold their price well,

I only do about 15k a year, probably just as cheep to run a petrol…have to do some more research.

cheers

Dino
    15k per year petrol lot cheaper, except if you do a lot of towing
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Thanks Guys

cheers

Dino
    dont buy a 3.4 petrol prado they are hungry as fuck
    Maca49 likes this.

Gotta flog mine off first..... actualy... gotta get it on the road first!!! have spent $2.5K on mine in a week and still not ready for the road...
    Then I will just have the head to do! at least it is no longer grazing in the paddock.. WOF and REG by the end of the week and its finally back on the road.! Im over it!!!!
    ............... Landcruiser for sale!!!!!!!!

Ive had my 1990 SWB 70 (5 cylinder 3.5litre ) for 11 years .
    I bought it to keep for ever , and it wants for nothing !!! The shape never changed for over 20 years because they got it right first time , the dash never changed in 25 years because they got that right too.
    I bought it off the lott for 13 k with 113,000 on the clock , and just had Toyota Hamilton value it at 10.5 k after putting another 200,000 on the clock.
    It still uses 1 ltr of oil every 5000 and still has the same top speed /power as the day I got it . It uses about 12-14 litres / diesel per 100ks depending on what im towing.
    Ive spent abit on it , but its all an investment in the future as far as im concerned .

Don't buy a 3.0 v6 surf either they to are hungry as fuck was getting aprox 380k's from full to fuel light and about $120 to full real nice to drive and could throw it around like a car but way to hungry
    If theres lead in the air theres hope