Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: E-bikes, E-hunting bikes - what've you got?

I'd be looking at less than 40lbs if going slow. Very commonly in our 4wd club trips we will drop tyres from 34-38 (road pressure) to 23-25lbs, and occasionally in sandy conditions to 12-15. Not recommended by tyre manufacturers of course but entirely practical and successful. With Ebike soft ride a premium over rugged ground - esp on older bodies. Experiment would find the practical minimum for retaining steering. And from a year with my earlier E bike, it had very good batt life/range from its larger 21 AH battery and softer tyre pressures would not have drained it too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    I'd be looking at less than 40lbs if going slow. Very commonly in our 4wd club trips we will drop tyres from 34-38 (road pressure) to 23-25lbs, and occasionally in sandy conditions to 12-15. Not recommended by tyre manufacturers of course but entirely practical and successful. With Ebike soft ride a premium over rugged ground - esp on older bodies. Experiment would find the practical minimum for retaining steering. And from a year with my earlier E bike, it had very good batt life/range from its larger 21 AH battery and softer tyre pressures would not have drained it too quickly.
    I've done a fair bit of 4WD..An eBike is not a 4WD. If you're already riding one and your finding dropping the pressure works for you, in the field, carying a hunting load, then say on. If you haven't tried actually riding one in the field with soft tires then go do it and then report back. I've had soft tires on mine. Won't happen again. But each to their own.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

I've done a few hunting trips on my un-assisted MTB (Specialized Enduro). What I would say is get a trailer, preferably a single-wheel model with suspension. A heavy 60L - 80L pack on your back really stuffs up the centre of gravity.
    stug, Friwi, 300CALMAN and 2 others like this.

A mate of mine hunt with an ebike and he uses a single wheel trailer to carry all his gear and the venison back on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Ta, one of the UK vids I watched looked like above 250W they wanted you to register it.

I see the NZ kits are 250, 500, 750, 1000W.

When we are released from Covid jail I'm keen to try find one to rent in Welly and see what the hype is about.
    My E bike has a 250W motor and run a 700Wh battery I'm pretty new to this but they seem to have a heap of power they also run a app that you can adjust your power requirements in each setting I have my eco mode set at 20% assist then trail at 70% and turbo gives you 100% I have only used turbo a couple of times. If you peddle hard in turbo you have to watch out as the front wheel will leave the ground.
    They are such a fun thing to ride.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    ebf and Jhon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    https://www.fatbikeshop.co.nz/product.html
    Pretty sure they are on trade me too.
    Do they put a price up on trademe?
    POA infuriates me....It's like do you want to sell it or not ffs.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Do they put a price up on trademe?
    POA infuriates me....It's like do you want to sell it or not ffs.
    Pretty sure they do.
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...7?bof=DpZ2JGBp
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...4?bof=DpZ2JGBp
    Last edited by Shearer; 27-08-2021 at 09:28 AM.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Name:  AFJU0174[1].JPG
Views: 649
Size:  6.17 MB
    Used this a bit across rough country.
    Not electric and I don't carry heavy loads but run the tyres at 4psi. If I were to carry more weight on it I might bump that up to 7 or 8psi max.
    veitnamcam and Jhon like this.

For me the only load will be the rifle and the target wd be bunnies. Soft ride settings essential for the older back!! So yes I would be looking at everything to achieve this.

Shearer - 4-8psi in those fat tyres is very low. That is really going to help with ride....

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    I made one out of a full suspension mtb paired with a bbshd 1000w motor and a 17ah battery.

It's a pretty powerful beast but I get a bloody sore ass with a pack and rifle.

If you are serious....https://www.blacksheeptrading.co.nz/...nduro-version/
    Is that one of the kits from Ali Express?... If so was there anything to watch out for? As I was thinking of doing the same with my MTB.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    For me the only load will be the rifle and the target wd be bunnies. Soft ride settings essential for the older back!! So yes I would be looking at everything to achieve this.

Shearer - 4-8psi in those fat tyres is very low. That is really going to help with ride....
    Yeah. Being fully ridged it really benefits from the low pressures. Much like a quad the low pressures soak up bumps and provide great traction. On the down side it does make it harder to pedal so an electric version would be good. Had it in all sorts of places.
    Name:  GGBB4132[1].JPG
Views: 484
Size:  1.98 MB
    Name:  XDECE7640[1].JPG
Views: 481
Size:  399.2 KB
    ebf, stingray, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

Once you excede 250 watt motive power you can't "legally" use it where MTB's are permitted by the so called powers to be. So you might as well go full monty and embrace petrol power
    Yes, EMTB have their place, on tracks and forestry roads. But try heading bush for a 5 day hunt, all equipment on board, 30km ride in, and two deer on board for the trip out. Even the lowly mudbug, with its minimal suspension, is streets ahead in the comfy arse and carrying department

Name:  Mudbug2.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  210.3 KB

800m in front of this photo is a shaley slope inclinometered at 29 degrees. Bikes putt up there, no running out of puff a third of the way up

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    Pictures of such a setup would be really helpful and informative....

Cheers
    Phil
    https://ebike-mtb.com/en/first-look-...nd-adventures/

A Google image search will turn up many more...
    Shearer likes this.

Greta Thunberg is going to have an embolism is she reads this debaucherous thread haha.

"We try to stop men having fun and look what they do with our green technology"
    mudgripz, ebf, stingray and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Attachment 176451
    Used this a bit across rough country.
    Not electric and I don't carry heavy loads but run the tyres at 4psi. If I were to carry more weight on it I might bump that up to 7 or 8psi max.
    Big tires, suited to lower pressure. Looks like no suspension, correct? - why you can mount the rifle vertical like that. I looked at a vertical mounting but with front fork suspension it got complicated. Rear works but I quite like rifle on the handlebars. Not so good on narrow tracks among trees tho lol
    Shearer likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...