Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: E-bikes, E-hunting bikes - what've you got?

Quote Originally Posted by Allizdog View Post
    This is what the army were trialing.

Attachment 193944
    Replacement for LAV's ? LOL
    Allizdog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    6 month update

Made the fatal mistake of renting an e-MTB....

If you can't beat em - join em

cycled 70km on Sat, all before lunch - nuts...
    Good one you won't regret it they are great

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Once you excede 250 watt motive power you can't "legally" use it where MTB's are permitted by the so called powers to be. So you might as well go full monty and embrace petrol power
    Yes, EMTB have their place, on tracks and forestry roads. But try heading bush for a 5 day hunt, all equipment on board, 30km ride in, and two deer on board for the trip out. Even the lowly mudbug, with its minimal suspension, is streets ahead in the comfy arse and carrying department

Attachment 176467

800m in front of this photo is a shaley slope inclinometered at 29 degrees. Bikes putt up there, no running out of puff a third of the way up
    I was dirt bike rider, (can `t do those jumping stuffs) but have retired from two wheels and really like to ride quad for fishing, hunting. My question is where I can legally ride them on public land? Lots MTB trails really will provide lots of fun, can I used it on Quad? THank you
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Once you excede 250 watt motive power you can't "legally" use it where MTB's are permitted by the so called powers to be. So you might as well go full monty and embrace petrol power
    Yes, EMTB have their place, on tracks and forestry roads. But try heading bush for a 5 day hunt, all equipment on board, 30km ride in, and two deer on board for the trip out. Even the lowly mudbug, with its minimal suspension, is streets ahead in the comfy arse and carrying department

Attachment 176467

800m in front of this photo is a shaley slope inclinometered at 29 degrees. Bikes putt up there, no running out of puff a third of the way up
    just noticed the blue n brown early macpac internal frame pack....I have got the same one here.....they were one of the first internals around,the side pockets came off and got lost....big/long ,not very sturdy and now delaminating something terrible....

Well I still have it, (that photo's about 1993). Purchased when I was 18, so mine is 44 years old...so sturdy enough to have gone around the globe three times, got to 21,500ft in Nepal, been hauled the length of the Ruahines and Tararuas multiple times and still fits three deer boned out most Xmases

edit: I have a speedi stitcher, so it gets a bit of TLC every now and then
    ANTSMAN and Micky Duck like this.

about 7 years ago I had a chinese foldable electric bike with little wheels that I could fold up and bung into the back of my corolla. It was also funny because it had the words "LAND ROVER 4x4" slapped on the side in typical chinese crap fashion. The wires and electronics have fallen apart now and I don't trust the battery so i dont use it anymore. Very nice while it lasted though. Battery would last for 5-10km or so up and down hilly rough areas. Mostly used the electric power to get up steep hills and it was amazing. Would be great to ride on those locked forestry roads down to a hunting area (with permission) instead of walking, especially if carrying heavy loads. Will save the knees.

Mine looked a bit like this https://yisoebike.en.made-in-china.c...-Mountain.html

I would love to get another one eventually, but of course a more reliable one than the one I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    My question is where I can legally ride them on public land? Lots MTB trails really will provide lots of fun, can I used it on Quad? THank you
    Well...that's a good question. I think in Canterbury there are very few, if any, legal places to take a quad hunting on public land?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Well I still have it, (that photo's about 1993). Purchased when I was 18, so mine is 44 years old...so sturdy enough to have gone around the globe three times, got to 21,500ft in Nepal, been hauled the length of the Ruahines and Tararuas multiple times and still fits three deer boned out most Xmases

edit: I have a speedi stitcher, so it gets a bit of TLC every now and then
    I fixed/cured the delamination thing by doing the silicon/kero thing moa hunter suggested for waterproofing garments.....seems to have worked well.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

How are people carrying their rifles? On the bike somehow, in a pack, over the shoulder?

Put pack on.
    Rifle goes over the shoulder on its sling normal way
    THEN sling gets captured by my knife belt (belt being undone, have the sling threaded under it, then belt done up again). This prevents the rifle from being able to swivel or rotate, or slip off your shoulder. Wearing a suppressor makes them want to invert pretty fast as you ride over bumps, but capturing the rifle sling that way pretty much prevents it.

JUST don't arse up
    Strummer likes this.

Buy a single shot takedown and put in your pack has worked for me so far.
    Micky Duck and Strummer like this.
    Happy Jack.

article in latest rod n rifle..guy using a "scout " bike....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Put pack on.
    Rifle goes over the shoulder on its sling normal way
    THEN sling gets captured by my knife belt (belt being undone, have the sling threaded under it, then belt done up again). This prevents the rifle from being able to swivel or rotate, or slip off your shoulder. Wearing a suppressor makes them want to invert pretty fast as you ride over bumps, but capturing the rifle sling that way pretty much prevents it.

JUST don't arse up
    Thats what I do too, usually with the hip belt on my pack. Works really well. Sometimes and depending if and where the sling is doubled due to adjustment, I put the belt through the adjustment loop.
    Strummer likes this.

Mate called in over the weekend and we're talking hunting bikes etc. He mentioned he went hunting on a big Waiararpa station at the beginning of the year. The guy was raving about the brand new Tuatara EV side x side he'd just purchased "220 km range, bloody brilliant...."

Looks like the 220 km range must have been on asphaltic concrete, downhill with the wind behind him, cause he went hunting there again 6 months later and asked where the Tuatara was: "piece of shit, hauled a trailer load of posts to the back of the farm (25 km uphill) and the battery said nah halfway back down the hill empty"

Mate called in over the weekend and we're talking hunting bikes etc. He mentioned he went hunting on a big Waiararpa station at the beginning of the year. The guy was raving about the brand new Tuatara EV side x side he'd just purchased "220 km range, bloody brilliant...."

Looks like the 220 km range must have been on asphaltic concrete, downhill with the wind behind him, cause he went hunting there again 6 months later and asked where the Tuatara was: "piece of shit, hauled a trailer load of posts to the back of the farm (25 km uphill) and the battery said nah halfway back down the hill empty"
    Heard that about the electric ones, very sensitive to load and climbs. Guy I talked to resorted to carting a Honda genset with him and every time he stopped he'd give it a tickle up. I asked him if it made the concept a bit of a fail, change conversation haha. Bit more stable on the hills though, low centre of gravity.