Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: edumacate me on the ute thing guys

Take one of the GWM Cannons for a test ride, you may be surprised.
    Like you I didn’t want to spend 60k on a vehicle.
    I looked at all the usual brands, new and used. Ended up narrowing it down to the base model Nissan or top spec Cannon X.
    Went with the Cannon and absolutely pleased with the decision. Tech and comfort it beats most of the the other offerings hands down.
    It’s not as powerful in the engine department, but still plenty for my needs.
    Trout, rugerman and stingray like this.

Cole
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    That one looks ok dvk but I see he's listed it as a 6 cylinder
    Arrrg decisions
    Yep it’s a 4 litre v6 petrol. One for the best Toyota motors a lot of people reckon, very reliable. No RUCs and cheaper servicing. But I’m a petrol fanboy anyway.
    rugerman likes this.

All good with them until you hook a trailer on, and then they'll pass everything except a fuel station. If you're happy with that limitation they are a good choice, and as others have said if you aren't towing regularly they do offer cheaper servicing and good driving performance with the side benefit of less engine noise and rattle as not a diesel.
    Maca49 and Beetroot like this.

The triton comes with super select 4wd (a center diff) this allows driving in 4wd on tarmac, bloody handy in pouring rain, settling snow or freezing conditions. I had a pajero with the center diff and loved it
    Carbine and rugerman like this.

I do like the look of the prices on the new Tritons

For the sort of money you’re looking at spending your better off stretching yourself a bit further and going new. Peace of mind motoring and It’ll pay dividends in the long run when it comes time to shift it on.

You can get into the ‘poverty pack’ models (e.g., the SR over the SR5 if Toyota is your flavor) of most utes for a fair chunk less and all you're really missing out on these days is a bit of tinsel and a few more things that beep at you.
    199p, rugerman and bigbear like this.

ahh I paid $38k for mine,2013 Ranger XTL, NEW, including GST, only a 2WD. What happened???
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Greed and nuttyness

I have a work BT50 at the moment and it's a 6-speed manual
    The gearbox is a total bumwipe - do not recommend

Easy to get the wrong gear, gears too short, just a total Jacinda of a thing
    Trout, JoshC, rugerman and 3 others like this.

If you do start looking at new think about servicing costs and depreciaiton if you'll move it on every few years. Our story is we have a 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 210,000kms and now worth $5k. Were looking to spend $20k on proper 4wd for towing safety but didn't want to spend $20k on something same age as Outback and double the kms. Then looked at $30-40k. Again shit value for years and kms. Decided to finance new with master plan to move it on in 3-5yrs when hybrid towing capable utes become available. Was tempted by Nissan and Mitzi as sticker price good but depreciation and servicing bad. Ended up spending a little more and getting Toyota to get superb resale value and fixed price servicing. Ford and Isuzu too spendy for us.
    rugerman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    LDVs are well priced. Not sure how they stack up reliability wise. Ive had a Foton for about 4 years. Goes all good. waay cheaper than a hilux or the other top brands.
    My Neighbor has a Foton and he loves it, he is a beekeeper and it takes a hammering.
    If your already spending that much coin i would go with new if possible 2nd hand market is crazy atm

Just got my new ranger and its very very nice but not cheap at all farmlands gets you about a 5k discount tho 5 year warranty is a great piece of mind, Fuck me its got some fancy gadgets be interesting too see what bits fall off 1st.
    rugerman and No.3 like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    My Neighbor has a Foton and he loves it, he is a beekeeper and it takes a hammering.
    If your already spending that much coin i would go with new if possible 2nd hand market is crazy atm

Just got my new ranger and its very very nice but not cheap at all farmlands gets you about a 5k discount tho 5 year warranty is a great piece of mind, Fuck me its got some fancy gadgets be interesting too see what bits fall off 1st.
    I am looking a newer utes at the moment and the fancy gadgets bits is the part that worries me most ...
    199p, rugerman, RV1 and 1 others like this.

bought a d-max last year, far more economical and comfortable than the triton
    rugerman likes this.

My son n law down south bought a brand new hilux,cab n half n chassie.He been a diesel mechanic all his life.Look at all the second hand uts for sale befor coming back from auz.In the long run it was best to get brand new with all the service warrantys.Good second ahand uts were up to 42k-45k if you could find a good one.New hilux was 48k without deck.Wait 6 months and delivered to Queenstown.
    rugerman and OGM like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    bought a d-max last year, far more economical and comfortable than the triton
    Funny, I did the same two years ago comparing both the D-Max and Triton, and ended up with the opposite conclusion. Felt that the D-Max suspension was crazy stiff and not that pleasant to drive. If I was carrying heavy loads or towing trailers all day I likely would have gone with it, but I'm not and found the Triton to be a far more comfortable drive, really economical too. Has also proven to be very capable off-road so far as well.
    rugerman likes this.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction