Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: edumacate me on the ute thing guys

From what I can tell, the D max is about 66K and the Triton is about 53K with the options I put on it in the customise ya ute bit on the Mitsi website.
    I might take a Triton for a test drive in a few days. I do like the price of the Triton but as has been mentioned the servicing might be a bit more spendy.
    Also I don't change my vehicle ever couple of years so will be sticking with my purchase for at least 7 or 8 dependant on warranty etc...

Mitsi 10 year powertrain warranty does give you a bit of confidence in their product. Got an Outlander last vehicle change for the wife's kid karrier. Seems to go alright. Second hand were only $4K cheaper than new and no warranty!
    rugerman likes this.

Oh I'm looking selling my np300 petrol Navara 2017.. was going to look at a dmax.maybe I'll look at the triton for the money.

Ute suspension is something that the manufacturer's can't get right it seems. I reckon they should produce three or four different sets so you can bung in what you need for the time - standard urban poncing ute, empty lift 4x4, medium load and then heavy load for the utes that get set up as service vehicles or are always loaded. My Ranger was bloody dangerous off the showroom floor, and it wasn't carting a huge amount of weight. It was the first of the PX2 generation, and I don't think they got it right as they came out with quite a bit harder as standard from the PX3 onwards. Mine currently wears Iron Man foam cell struts with factory springs on a 10mm fixed spacer at the front (for 20mm unloaded lift) and a high-load leaf pack at the back from the springmaker in Cambridge with foam cell shocks. It's not going for the lift, but it needed a huge increase in spring rate to stop it crashing the bump stops at both ends and reset the steering angles at the front (couldn't align it, ran out of adjustment). The front end would just wash out to either side on gravel, just totally dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Ute suspension is something that the manufacturer's can't get right it seems. I reckon they should produce three or four different sets so you can bung in what you need for the time - standard urban poncing ute, empty lift 4x4, medium load and then heavy load for the utes that get set up as service vehicles or are always loaded. My Ranger was bloody dangerous off the showroom floor, and it wasn't carting a huge amount of weight. It was the first of the PX2 generation, and I don't think they got it right as they came out with quite a bit harder as standard from the PX3 onwards. Mine currently wears Iron Man foam cell struts with factory springs on a 10mm fixed spacer at the front (for 20mm unloaded lift) and a high-load leaf pack at the back from the springmaker in Cambridge with foam cell shocks. It's not going for the lift, but it needed a huge increase in spring rate to stop it crashing the bump stops at both ends and reset the steering angles at the front (couldn't align it, ran out of adjustment). The front end would just wash out to either side on gravel, just totally dangerous.
    @No.3 heard years ago that Toyota didn't put good wheels and suspension on Hiluxes as they knew a lot of the aftermarket buyers would replace both. Keep the price of the vehicle up and the actual cost down.Normal springs no good unless you have a bit of weight in the back. My work hilux circa 2010 in Aussie had ratshit tyres that would break traction if you spit on the road. Absolutely lethal
    Actually managed to get it past H+S to get the tyres replaced with better ones.
    No.3 likes this.

Just upgraded the rear in my Navarra with some new king springs so much better

triton only comes in slushbox now.

I'm not sure about all new warrantys but I was disappointed when looked at some of Mitzi warranty exclusions. Things like injectors weren't covered

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    I'm not sure about all new warrantys but I was disappointed when looked at some of Mitzi warranty exclusions. Things like injectors weren't covered
    Interesting I had an exhaust smell in the cab of my 2018 triton, was a seal (fuel pump iirc that was checked at a service and either a dud gasket or installed wrong) that was leaking, sent injectors away to be tested and they got replaced under warranty. Also had the chassis showing serious surface rust at 3yrs, it got blasted and painted under warranty (thinking I got one that got put together late on a Friday afternoon) front brake pads needed replacing for warrant, do a little towing with up to a ton but bugger all.

Only done 45km in it but has been great on long road trips, double cab wellside with canopy for dogs, factory other than a set of cooper at3. Has been a good wagon, gone where I've wanted it to off-road. Servicing coats seem bloody steep, struggle to get less the 9l/100km
    Last edited by 223nut; 15-11-2022 at 08:49 PM.
    rugerman likes this.

Injectors are consumables so need to be replaced after a while so I can understand why they maybe excluded. Not frequent replacement though, 150 000kms.

Rugerman, I have a 2007 Prado 3.0TD with 375 000 kms. This last couple of years I’ve put close to 10 k into repair and maintenance. I’d look for something with less kms on it .

Drive them all. Unloaded I found the Dmax sprung hard, but loaded it would be good I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rugerman likes this.

We bought a flat deck Triton GLX double cab for Mrs Duckdog purely on price and the 10 year warranty.
    Great wee truck, drives well and feels more nimble than my Ranger.
    Had it serviced today (4 year, 45K service) $275 flat rate labour charge, $442 for parts included fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, oil and front brake pads.
    Great value for money and you can't beat the 10 year warranty (my new Ranger only has a 5 year warranty)
    Evidently there is a $40k fieldays deal coming up on the Black edition, might pay to check it out.
    rugerman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Mitsi 10 year powertrain warranty does give you a bit of confidence in their product. Got an Outlander last vehicle change for the wife's kid karrier. Seems to go alright. Second hand were only $4K cheaper than new and no warranty!
    only applies to the original owner, and the service costs in christchurch are ridiculous
    rugerman and bigbear like this.

You do have to shop around in these parts, quite a bit of difference between dealers...

Not the only reason but one reason i didn't buy a Mitsi was servicing cost. Ask your dealer for a print out

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    bought a d-max last year, far more economical and comfortable than the triton
    As stated in another thread, the two Isuzus we’ve had/got have been/are great. D max was 6 spd manual and towed our caravan 5500 kms thru South Island returning mid 10 litres/100 km. The current Mu-x, different shell but same running gear and 6 spd auto returning low nines/100 km non towing. Biggest hassle is the volume of oil they hold; each change drinks nearly 8 litres of fully synthetic. $$$! My cousins business services it as still under wty and he recommended Isuzu over Mitzi. I took both for a test drive before buying. Mitzi felt light; Isuzu more reassuring, esp on tight corners.