Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: The great petrol vs diesel debate

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    Trying to find a late model hiace with decent seats in the back is hard work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The old man keeps the last row of seats out and has a rack built for 4 mountain bikes that bolts into the seat holes.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    How many seats do you want?

Toyota Hiace Wagon 2002 | Trade Me
    Have seen that but am after the later model one

Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Have seen that but am after the later model one

Yeah, the next model was a big step up in space and price. Haven't seen many with seats other than the ones fitted out here.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    It's extortion: you drive a Hilux & pay higher RUC or drive a Surf & pay less... same vehicle, different body style.... same wear & tare on the road.... still pisses me off
    did not realise there was this difference ? Can someone advise the $$ difference in RUC & ACC etc comparing a ute to suv ?

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    did not realise there was this difference ? Can someone advise the $$ difference in RUC & ACC etc comparing a ute to suv ?
    RUC is the same for anything up to 6T. The ACC levy is a big part of the registration.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

What's everyone's rego? My cruiser is like 230 a year, only 80 bucks more than the 'rolla

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    What's everyone's rego? My cruiser is like 230 a year, only 80 bucks more than the 'rolla
    Can't remember, but sure know it's dropped a lot

Think my ute was like 180 for a year

My Grand vitara does 480ks a tank which is between $120-140 to fill, pop it in 4wd and you watch the fuel gauge drop.

With the maintenance and RUCs I still think a diesel would be better for my next truck.

Yeah, the next model was a big step up in space and price. Haven't seen many with seats other than the ones fitted out here.
    Yea and the 5th generation is 40hp more in the 3.0l diesel option

Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Yea and the 5th generation is 40hp more in the 3.0l diesel option

We have a '95 Super Custom with the 1kz and a manual transmission and to be honest I've never felt it to be lacking power. On hills that the almost empty Safari would be constantly slowing down on the Hiace would be accelerating all the way, full of family and gear and towing a transporter. Damned nice suspension as well but the 4x4 models are tough on front tyres.

We have a '95 Super Custom with the 1kz and a manual transmission and to be honest I've never felt it to be lacking power. On hills that the almost empty Safari would be constantly slowing down on the Hiace would be accelerating all the way, full of family and gear and towing a transporter. Damned nice suspension as well but the 4x4 models are tough on front tyres.
    Sounds promising.... What's the fuel consumption like

Often hire the 2005 onwards 2.7 petrol hiace 12 seater low roof wide body vans, head up to Rotorua from Wellington and fill the van up with 12 people then tow a trailer with 12 mountain bikes.

No trouble doing this, yes it's a little thirsty 3 tanks return trip welly to roto and back, the old 2.8 non turbo hiaces use to do 2.5 tanks for the same trip, love the free revving feel of the petrol and overall the newer hiace being much more comfortable on the long drive. Although leg room for the driver is average and the passenger seat is even worse most of them don't even move to adjust..

Sounds promising.... What's the fuel consumption like

The manual 4x4 has pretty low gearing so fuel consumption isn't great. But it doesn't matter if it is towing a trailer or not, seems to use about the same. Generally around 12l/100km. The modern engines do seem to be better economy wise but there is always the 'risk' with the flasher injection systems that cost a lot to rectify when things go pear shaped. Again, it depends on how much, how and where you drive that need to be factored into the equation.

One trick with the hi ace that I have seen is putting in a set of manual front hubs, sure the cv's are still spinning but it uses a bit less fuel. Probably not worth doing unless your holding onto the vehicle for a few years