Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Modern Diesels

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Don't like the steering in though and prefer my 93 Pajero SWB especially round town
    Yea I dont like it either, very slow turn in....the actual handling is great but the ratio of turn to wheel angle is too slow compared to most other vehicles.
    You do get used to it after an hour or so but if its not your daily you have to learn all over again each time.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yea I dont like it either, very slow turn in....the actual handling is great but the ratio of turn to wheel angle is too slow compared to most other vehicles.
    You do get used to it after an hour or so but if its not your daily you have to learn all over again each time.
    To me there is no "feedback" from the steering and that to me feels a bit odd
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

To me there is no "feedback" from the steering and that to me feels a bit odd
    Thats because the ratio is so slow i think.....if you are really pushing it there is feel.....its like they put a truck steering box in there!

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk

Iv spent my working life burning diesel in one way or another, every machine Iv had was better than the last, more power, better economy and far more reliable, utes have been the same. My days of groveling under vehicles up to my elbows in burnt oil and shit are well behind me. 2 utes a ago I had a V6 triton, green over silver, really liked it , in a moment of phone induced distraction I drove it off a loading bank cut into a slope. Hit bloody hard, when the vision cleared I got out thinking the damage would be horrific , crumpled panels , bent rims .. but it was unscathed, didnt even need a wheel alignment.
    Each to his own and I get those that just like old stuff but IMHO the " old is better" is a load of romantic bullshit.
    veitnamcam, Smiddy and mikee like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Iv spent my working life burning diesel in one way or another, every machine Iv had was better than the last, more power, better economy and far more reliable, utes have been the same. My days of groveling under vehicles up to my elbows in burnt oil and shit are well behind me. 2 utes a ago I had a V6 triton, green over silver, really liked it , in a moment of phone induced distraction I drove it off a loading bank cut into a slope. Hit bloody hard, when the vision cleared I got out thinking the damage would be horrific , crumpled panels , bent rims .. but it was unscathed, didnt even need a wheel alignment.
    Each to his own and I get those that just like old stuff but IMHO the " old is better" is a load of romantic bullshit.
    Well my OLD 93 Pajero has disc brakes all round where as my NEW colorado has drums on the rear who would have thought eh and yes the Colorado stops faster with all its wizzy bits but I reckon it will be lucky to get to the same km's as the Paj has done with no major repairs
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

New and powerful and efficient is good and old and simple and cheap to repair/rebuild is good ,somewhere in the middle is first generation new technology that is getting old and unreliable and VERY expensive to maintain and this is where the second hand market is very bloody wary now and will become moreso as more get bitten.
    Shorter design lifes are all well and good but eventually the second hand market will catch up and drop and so will new vehicle turnover prices and lease rates go up.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Those Merc Sprinters are great to drive but jeeeez they aren't cheap, I wonder what a service or parts cost on them. They're great for a business vehicle but too rich for my blood.
    Yeah, the bro got stung $160 just to supply a pair of wipers.
    Lore likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    New and powerful and efficient is good and old and simple and cheap to repair/rebuild is good ,somewhere in the middle is first generation new technology that is getting old and unreliable and VERY expensive to maintain and this is where the second hand market is very bloody wary now and will become moreso as more get bitten.
    Shorter design lifes are all well and good but eventually the second hand market will catch up and drop and so will new vehicle turnover prices and lease rates go up.
    Even second gen is getting unreliable and expensive with shorter design lives.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Well my OLD 93 Pajero has disc brakes all round where as my NEW colorado has drums on the rear who would have thought eh and yes the Colorado stops faster with all its wizzy bits but I reckon it will be lucky to get to the same km's as the Paj has done with no major repairs
    That just means mtisi is better than holden, nothing to do with age
    veitnamcam and mikee like this.

The late 80's to mid 90's stuff was pretty reliable, and for much longer than the new stuff. The old Safari's and Bighorns are known for longevity with 400,000+km pretty standard. I know the UN were getting about 1,000,000km out of their Safaris. If there are issues it is generally quite cheap to make repairs, often even in the field. The newer high strung diesels I would not trust for serious off road work, just too much ancillary crap to go wrong; the more complicated the more likely there will be failure in adverse conditions. Particularly the electronics with brittle lead free solder and injection systems with dirt and water.
    mikee, northdude and kidmac42 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Yeah, the bro got stung $160 just to supply a pair of wipers.
    Wow, what do they wipe for that price?!
    veitnamcam likes this.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    We grow old because we stop playing.

The old is better thing ONLY applies to young cubs like me who still ENJOY working on their own cars (which is handy when money is always scarce too). The novelty wears off tho, I get that. When I'm your age I don't want to have to crawl under my spaceship to change the tranny oil in the hyper drive.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    We grow old because we stop playing.

That just means mtisi is better than holden, nothing to do with age
    Both are infinitly better than Mazda and local toyota dealers are a bunch of snobs
    sneeze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Wow, what do they wipe for that price?!
    The smile off his face when I looked and saw that it can take standard blade inserts. But of course they didn't tell him that.
    veitnamcam, mikee and john m like this.

I started diving in an Austin A40. It was old, the starter was shit and it was easier to use the crank handle, but it was easy to fix the many faults it threw up and might still be going if you could be bothered fixing it .....again. Iv rebuilt engines in a 225 valiant, a 202 holden, 160 pursuit falcon, a 3.3 Vauxhal victor and 351 cleveland for my boat, probably others Iv forgotten. Replaced diffs, numerous clutches, valve grinds , etc etc.. so I have no interest anymore in " easy to repair" Iv simply done my time with old shit that breaks down. You are welcome to your 80s and 90s stuff, easy and cheap fixes and 1,000,000km safaris, Ill stick to the modern reliable comfy ones that I dont have to fix , thats why i said each to own.