Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: New truck.

Yep cam belt changed at 150. Will get a thorough sort out next service.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    Anyone know the go to diesel guys in invercargill?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Hoffmans rebuilt my 1KD when it blew up, and had a couple others in there at the same time. So they'll know what they're doing with it

In Gore, the guys at AG Diesel are very good.

I learnt a lot about that model Hilux when it came out and I bought one and it crapped out
    Last edited by JoshC; 20-08-2018 at 10:14 AM.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Oh dear. @JoshC, wait was it that failed? Dreaded injector problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Oh dear. @JoshC, wait was it that failed? Dreaded injector problem?
    It was a few moons ago now, just before they released the information about replacing seals and seat in the injectors. I presumably had leaking injectors, which cracked number one, and holed 2 and 3 pistons. Engine just suddenly locked up towing a trailer at highway speed.

Was in the middle of now where, with no cell coverage, so managed to start it and drive it home - albeit very loud and rattly. Got me home though!

It was only like 5000 kms out of warranty and had just been serviced by the dealership in September. A couple or three weeks later they released the bulletin on replacing seats and seals.

Long story short, dealership didn't want to know me, unless I spent $14-18k (not quote, just estimated) on them rebuilding the engine.

So I towed it home, ripped the motor out, stripped it, dropped it in town and picked it up rebuilt with new injectors a couple weeks later and put it back in. Cost me less than $6000.

Ran the new engine in, then sold it to a mate and bought a landcruiser. He treated that hilux like sh*t and put a couple hundred thousand kms on it with no issues, then wrote the truck off when someone t-boned him at an intersection.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Double oh dear. That whole episode was not Toyota's finest hour. Strictly speaking it was Denso who was at fault. Their common rail injection systems are found in about half the cars and trucks manufactured, not just Toyota, and they had similar problems across a wide range of vehicles, especially in Europe.

Dealerships lost a huge amount of credibility. I despise most dealerships, bunch of crooks. We were in Aus while most of this was going down, the problem was double as bad there in the north of the country, because on top of the leaky seals problem there was widespread fuel contamination due to bulldust, rust particulates and water ingress into old bowser tanks in monsoon areas. The factory filter couldn't deal with it, when the first ones came out on the 1KD it was supposed to be "inspected" every 12 months which they didn't do, and never changed which is insane. Then they altered the service interval to replacement every 40,000km. Which is still insane. In NZ I see the interval is now 30,000km or when the light comes on cos its detected water by which time it could be too late. I changed by pre-filter every 20,000 and the factory filter every 10,000km.

The holed pistons problem is usually caused by an irregular injector spray pattern and dripping, which in turn is caused by damage to the injector nozzle from water or other contaminents. Cockies and forestry guys that refuel a lot from jerry cans and old tanks on the farm are particularly at risk. I always advise additional fuel filtration on these vehicles. Mine looks like this:

Name:  1D331294-9277-41D5-B744-9E5FA4A528D3.jpeg
Views: 370
Size:  113.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Double oh dear. That whole episode was not Toyota's finest hour. Strictly speaking it was Denso who was at fault. Their common rail injection systems are found in about half the cars and trucks manufactured, not just Toyota, and they had similar problems across a wide range of vehicles, especially in Europe.

Dealerships lost a huge amount of credibility. I despise most dealerships, bunch of crooks. We were in Aus while most of this was going down, the problem was double as bad there in the north of the country, because on top of the leaky seals problem there was widespread fuel contamination due to bulldust, rust particulates and water ingress into old bowser tanks in monsoon areas. The factory filter couldn't deal with it, when the first ones came out on the 1KD it was supposed to be "inspected" every 12 months which they didn't do, and never changed which is insane. Then they altered the service interval to replacement every 40,000km. Which is still insane. In NZ I see the interval is now 30,000km or when the light comes on cos its detected water by which time it could be too late. I changed by pre-filter every 20,000 and the factory filter every 10,000km.

The holed pistons problem is usually caused by an irregular injector spray pattern and dripping, which in turn is caused by damage to the injector nozzle from water or other contaminents. Cockies and forestry guys that refuel a lot from jerry cans and old tanks on the farm are particularly at risk. I always advise additional fuel filtration on these vehicles. Mine looks like this:

Attachment 93417
    Yeah. Mine had an additional filter in from new. I installed that when I bought it, after reading of the fuel related issues in the earlier 1kd's on Aussie forums. Both filters where changed every 10,000km, I insisted on it.

Incidentally I did notice the engine was more rattly than normal that morning, approx 450kms into a tank of diesel I had bought from a small town garage the day before. But it wasn't until after the event that I clicked.

My water in filter light never came on in the time I owned the truck.

The CRD motors is one of the reasons why I went back to a 100 series Landcruiser. The risks associated with dirty fuel are less, to a degree. Although good 100's are getting harder and harder to find, so I may have to accept the risk when I buy my next and go for a 200. Unless a low km tidy 100 pops up of course.

Anyways, going off track to the OP a bit. Sorry.

Mine has two filters also.
    She’s a worry...
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    one of these manufacturers needs to make a 4wd with minimal electronics and tried and proven running gear. and put a new van body on it.

I brought my van (1993) because the newer 4wd hiaces are full time and dont have the hi/lo box.

A wee bit more maintenance due to the age, but the only other option is a mitsi and I cant afford an on call mechanic.
    Also a pain due to not wanting to take it onto beaches because of the difficulty in finding a replacement body once it rusts out.
    It wont ever happen.
    It's a good idea, but any company that tried to do it would have very very few countries it could be sold in.
    European countries have standards that are forever getting tighter, same with the USA. Japan has strict emission rules and even Australian has emission testing on vehicle that are over a certain age.

Electronics are mostly pretty reliable, there are heaps of 20 year old cars with ECUs that cause no problems at all, and usually when there is a problem it's sensors or wiring. Most of the time the sensors aren't even that expensive, it's just expensive to pay a mechanic or dealer to replace it as they are usually shit at diagnostics and have a huge mark up on the parts.

Surprisingly most of the issues with new cars are things you would think would be bullet proof after years of technological advancement like fuel systems, transmissions and turbos.
    But the forever increasing environmental standards are causing manufacturers to push everything to the limit or weight and power so things fail when they really shouldn't.
    Just look at Air New Zealand and Rolls Royce with the Trent 1000 engine problems, Rolls Royce have been making aircraft engines for almost 80 years, I grantee you they could build an engine that would never break, but the fuel consumption would be too high for airlines that no one would ever buy them.

Anyway, there could be a market for older cars say 1985-2005 that have been fully rebuilt and updated, but the reality is most people in the world are not practically thinking people in the slightest and would sit in an 1990 Hilux and say "ew this looks like my grandads car, where is the heated seats" and "I can't drive a manual" then go out and buy a new Holden Craptiva instead, and just dish out $1000s of dollars when the gearbox shits itself for the 3rd time in 40,000kms.
    Flyblown likes this.

Good points in that post. Quite like the agricultural flavour of my 92 80nseries, has had a bit of work on turbo, exhaust, injectors to make it a bit morr fun though...
    longrange308 likes this.

@Beetroot I’ve still got my 1993 Surf V6, that has heated seats! Futuristic car eh! My favourite trick is to turn the passenger one on in the middle of summer, watch the wife start to squirm and fuss and bother as her knickers start to stick... always takes her far too long to twig what I’ve done and always results in her losing her temper with me. Worth it though.

Good post you made earlier about tech. I wish like hell I still had my 1993 Hilux LN. The chassis and running gear on that thing was tough as, the simplicity of the motor and transmission... oh well. I know which 2.8 diesel I would trust more, between the original 3L and the current 1GD, if I was out in the back of the boondocks. I think though the prices of the LN106s reflect just how perfect they were for the job they were designed to do.