Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Some advice on wiring etc on 4wd vehicle

Name:  CA311F0B-C0B3-4B6D-897A-952844A63E09.jpeg
Views: 290
Size:  1.46 MB
    Here ya go Ryan save you getting a saw neck
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Attachment 159969
    Here ya go Ryan save you getting a saw neck
    or a sore one

anyways ryan pm me ifff yooo gettt kunfuzed
    dannyb likes this.

If there is a sticker in japanese, probably on the rear outside of the paj, it is a winter pack. This can be of several specs. It can mean two batteries, bigger alternator, better insulation, heated mirrors and heater in the bottom of the windscreen
    Yours could have some or all of these if you have that sticker.
    There are cheap as wiring kits for lightbars with switches and relays etc.
    The one I got 4 years ago with the light bar, was a simple on/off. Lead off the battery and switch stuck to the dash.
    I thought that was wrong as normal driving lights had to off or only come on when high beam is on, so I bridged a power wire out of the high beam wire at the plug.
    Now you can the same loom that plugs In there and does it easy peasy. 30 bucks probably, not worth buying the bits unless you have them of course.
    I can still turn it off independently
    Always get a warrant but yes it seems to depend on the garage.
    Just to be a downer, if it's done over 200k, there is the potential to do a head gasket, and if you are in there do the timing chain.
    BUT first up, if you dont know history, do the waterpump, stat and at least get the radiator cleaned possibly replaced and flush the bejeebus out of the cooling circuit
    Last edited by csmiffy; 09-02-2021 at 03:11 PM.

Name:  bedraading-van-motor-ligte_grande.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  24.9 KB

Pretty basic, don't forget to fuse the circuits.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2967904482

Heaps of them like this for under 15 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    If there is a sticker in japanese, probably on the rear outside of the paj, it is a winter pack. This can be of several specs. It can mean two batteries, bigger alternator, better insulation, heated mirrors and heater in the bottom of the windscreen
    Yours could have some or all of these if you have that sticker.
    There are cheap as wiring kits for lightbars with switches and relays etc.
    The one I got 4 years ago with the light bar, was a simple on/off. Lead off the battery and switch stuck to the dash.
    I thought that was wrong as normal driving lights had to off or only come on when high beam is on, so I bridged a power wire out of the high beam wire at the plug.
    Now you can the same loom that plugs In there and does it easy peasy. 30 bucks probably, not worth buying the bits unless you have them of course.
    I can still turn it off independently
    Always get a warrant but yes it seems to depend on the garage.
    Just to be a downer, if it's done over 200k, there is the potential to do a head gasket, and if you are in there do the timing chain.
    BUT first up, if you dont know history, do the waterpump, stat and at least get the radiator cleaned possibly replaced and flush the bejeebus out of the cooling circuit
    Despite being fine I've done headgasket, water pump, new radiator and new/recon alternator on the engine, have also cleaned out intercooler and deleted egr on it. Mainly for peace of mind, it seems the achilles heel of a lot of diesels of the era is cooling problems leading to warped heads or blown headgasket so hopefully she's good to go for another 200,000 now
    Sideshow and Micky Duck like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Mate that's the idea. All of those vintage trucks with cast blocks and alloy heads suffer the same thing.
    Too many heat cycles and the head gaskets go.
    Hope the timing chain, adjuster and guides were ok but can be done with the head on I think.
    Make sure the fan clutch works properly too and fit an aftermarket temp gauge. The oem ones are notoriously slow to read high levels
    They go pretty well.
    If it's the electronic fuel pump you cant do much to that side of it, if mechanical there is a couple of tricks.
    Big one getting some more boost.
    Some washers behind the wastegate mounts can get them up to 15psi pretty easily if it isnt there already.
    Mine had 4 tops.
    Egt gauge is pretty important too if you start to get cranky

Just for Ryan
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Mate that's the idea. All of those vintage trucks with cast blocks and alloy heads suffer the same thing.
    Too many heat cycles and the head gaskets go.
    Hope the timing chain, adjuster and guides were ok but can be done with the head on I think.
    Make sure the fan clutch works properly too and fit an aftermarket temp gauge. The oem ones are notoriously slow to read high levels
    They go pretty well.
    If it's the electronic fuel pump you cant do much to that side of it, if mechanical there is a couple of tricks.
    Big one getting some more boost.
    Some washers behind the wastegate mounts can get them up to 15psi pretty easily if it isnt there already.
    Mine had 4 tops.
    Egt gauge is pretty important too if you start to get cranky
    Yea I didn't replace any of that as it had all been done at 200 anyhow, and yeap would be able to do it with head on, could have damn near done the head gasket with the engine still in the truck but I couldn't get the rear head studs out so slipped it off the bellhousing, unbolted the downpipe and pulled the whole thing forward while I had the old radiator etc out and had the room, saved taking it right out, whether that was the right way to do it or not I'm not sure but I got there in the end. Aim is not to spend a tonne of money on this vehicle but at the same time want a reliable rig that's capable of being a hunt taxi in most situations. I'm currently eyeing up tyre options for it, I have a rear spring lift kit for it and with the torsion wound up and ball joints flipped I reckon it would have plenty of room to run an aggressive 32, it would probably run them as it is but may run into problems with certain steering and flex angles in the front, the tyres on it currently are the good old Kumho KL71s (31s) but they're at the end of their life, had a set on my hilux a few years back and was really impressed with them on and off road, were nice and quiet on the road and very good manners for an MT but damn they wore quick!
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Some of the all knowing guys I deal with dont recommend the ball joint flip.
    2.8 had a 50mm factory over the 2
    5s. Some can get to run 33s with minimal effort others have to do extra.
    A certain type of nissan spring and a torsion bar re index does wonders apparently.
    Strange you couldnt get the head bolts out.
    Had my head off twice no dramas.
    Also look out for blow by. They are notorious.
    There is a dorky little internal catch can in the rocker cover.
    If it has the sintered filters they get blocked and you start blowing oil into the intake.
    The later 90s models have small drilled plates in there instead.
    Bit of a mish pulling it to bits but very doable and worth qhile

Some of the all knowing guys I deal with dont recommend the ball joint flip.
    2.8 had a 50mm factory over the 2
    5s. Some can get to run 33s with minimal effort others have to do extra.
    A certain type of nissan spring and a torsion bar re index does wonders apparently.
    Strange you couldnt get the head bolts out.
    Had my head off twice no dramas.
    Also look out for blow by. They are notorious.
    There is a dorky little internal catch can in the rocker cover.
    If it has the sintered filters they get blocked and you start blowing oil into the intake.
    The later 90s models have small drilled plates in there instead.
    Bit of a mish pulling it to bits but very doable and worth qhile
    Yaah I'd agree with that
    theres only 2 weak parts I've found Ryan and thats the CVs and the ball joints
    I am/was running 35s but still its a well known weakness

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I've done a bit more searching round some 4wd forums and seems it will be fine and have plenty of lift and still be able to do a wheel alignment without having to flip the ball joints. Read some horror stories about the bolt that goes through the ball joint giving way whilst on the road with the flipped ball joint mod done and it doesn't sound pretty. I'm going to re index the torsions this weekend so I can just adjust them and have plenty of travel to play with once new tyres are on
    10! has 270 divisors

I had this issue with my last Terrano. The light bar had to be hard wired into its own switch in the cab, completely separate from the headlights. As previously mentioned it is set up as a “work” light. I just got a wiring loom from kings, was simple as and came with its own relay and fuse. Keep it simple I reckon.
    If you go twin spots they can only come on with the high beam (also switched independently inside the cab). Again just buy a pre made wiring loom. This time they just piggy back off the high beam lamp connection to feed the relay.
    Depending on where you get the looms they are about $50 each? Yeah you could probably make up a set for cheaper than that, but it just makes it so easy and quick. My 2¢