Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Toyota Hilux Servicing

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    A sage comment - both for the first line and the second observation...

If the dealer proves to be hopeless, who the heck do you go to next? It's almost worth pirate importing the factory computer and doing it yourself when you consider the cost incurred from staying with dealer servicing in this case. It's not just consequential damage it's the vehicle down time and fart arsing about getting the thing in which is an entire cost far in excess of the basic 'cost of service'. We seem to seriously struggle with competent mechanical support in NZ - I know of several occasions recently where professional mechanics have started into a job and got to a position of 'oh fu*k' where the job just trippled in labour costs and an extra factor of parts etc etc.

I had one recently on a little Tiida, WOF fail on lower arm bushes top hats and something I can't recall. Quote $2K. Ended up saying stuff it, got my mate who's a mechanic to do the thing at my place for a bit of labour, food and use all my gear and ended up all the WOF parts, servicing the CVT, replacing the plugs, and additionally doing front struts belt and a couple of joints for about $1400. I realise that the commercial boys have overheads and bricks and mortar to fund but jey-sus, their markup on labour and parts is frightening. Getting that job done by them who failed the thing would have been probably $3500 at the end of it on a $3000 car.

One place where the bigger boys like the dealers can beat me is at cost of lubricants - the dealer charge for oil for my vehicle is $1.20 less than I can buy it for and to be honest I get it at a reasonable sharp rate (well under retail).
    Cant be a ford dealer 10lts 0/30 120 bucks from super cheap but ford rape service 200+ soon as mine is out warranty Ill go local with egr delete and xtra fuel filters and downloading forscan for tpms delete etc

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    You lot do know most delivery trucks only have two hoses for 3 fuels right, also if you are in chch Mobil has the only pipe over the hill , jet is all ways the first over, the other little secret is npds “100+” which is 95 with a booster , which said booster took 2 days to destroy the hose so god knows what it’s doing to your fuel systems
    What’s your point?

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    What’s your point?
    Don’t complain about fuel quality cos it’s shit , fuel filters every time you do a oil filter

Nothing wrong with the fuel. Majority of the time it’s someone’s put the wrong grade in the wrong hole in the ground…….

Once the additive is diluted into fuel (dosage rate is less than 2% worst case) it doesn't eat much. When it's in concentrate form OMG it eats everything - including PTFE or teflon protected components. It chews it's way through concrete once it gets out of the pipework and starts dripping. Latex gloves don't even slow it down, incredible stuff. It strips the paint off the drum if you leave the drum open too long. That's just the vapours getting out...

As far as the hoses, there's only one string and one pipe off the fuel berths and it all goes through that one pipe and hose string. The only other fuel pipe is for black oil for the ship propulsion and then you have the others for chemicals, cement, and the like.
    McNotty likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    Nothing wrong with the fuel. Majority of the time it’s someone’s put the wrong grade in the wrong hole in the ground…….
    Haha shandy up...

Quote Originally Posted by m101a1 View Post
    Cant be a ford dealer 10lts 0/30 120 bucks from super cheap but ford rape service 200+ soon as mine is out warranty Ill go local with egr delete and xtra fuel filters and downloading forscan for tpms delete etc
    Hmm you're getting raped... Check what you are using there though, needs to be the specific grade of full synthetic and there aren't that many sources for it at the mo. Jut because it's 0/30 doesn't mean it's right. I get it at $21inc a litre last time I checked, so $12 seems light from Supercheap (they usually aren't cheap, but I had to get the CVT trans oil from them last time as they were the only outfit with 8L in stock. $5 a bottle dearer than my usual for the same exact product, not too bad on that one surprisingly).

The service timeframes are a bit of a prick too, filter off, refill and replace then drop the sump and as soon as it stops plug back in and refill. And hope that you haven't airlocked the oil pump... Stupid system. There needs to be a test point somewhere between the oil pump and the galleries to be able to run a drill pump and back purge when filling the sump just to make sure there isn't any issues with air getting into the pump - it's one reason I don't do the servicing on that myself (blame some other bastard if it turns to shit).
    Last edited by No.3; 20-04-2022 at 10:44 PM.

In Australia linking warranty to servicing by Toyota was called out by fair trade as a restraint of trade. Surprised it’s not the same in NZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    In Australia linking warranty to servicing by Toyota was called out by fair trade as a restraint of trade. Surprised it’s not the same in NZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe it's been called out here, but they still insist under extended warranty and service plan provisions. Bastards.

Full syn from super cheap just not castrol but the change system is a cunt not to mention the dealer down here but he will keep , no more money from me with his attitude and the toyota dealer is no better .

Since you two are both pros it’s quite funny that you are both moaning about cost vs service and wanting warranty’s

Me I over service much to my dealerships hate , 0-30 yes with the same Ford spec (castrol isn’t the only place making oil)and a service kit from ac Delco or ryco (depends who comes in at the time) every 10,000
    And a intake spray , drain catch can ,

One thing that grinds some gears is the whole must use (brand Of vehicle) filters for warranty and when you pull them from the box
    The big made in China stamp is there

If you didn't have to pay for the warranty the vehicle would be at least 50% cheaper. But if I'm bloody paying for it I expect to get it. Pricks.

One if the interesting things is trying to find details on the filter specifications OEM. Ryco is one that promises 'meets or exceeds factory spec' yet when you question them on it they can't provide factory specs...

Just a comment or two about Toyota servicing…

The quality of servicing varies tremendously from dealership to dealership. I bought a new Hilux in Perth and drove it throughout Australia clocking up 70,000km very hard kms in its first year. Consequently we experienced seven different dealerships…

The service quality ranged from the absolutely woeful to the perfect 10/10. Some of the shit we were served in two larger QLD dealerships that do mostly commercial vehicles for the mines or the railways was beyond belief. One in particular in Mackay in Queensland you wouldn’t believe if I wrote it down here… The flipside was the small family owned dealerships in smaller towns. A particularly good memory were the dealerships in Devonport, Tasmania amd Port Augusta, South Australia. Five star review for those guys - knowing what kind of mileage and the places the vehicle was going they went above and beyond to check a whole bunch of stuff such as torque on all suspension and mounts etc.

Holding the dealership to account on the fluid changes is vital. The brake fluid is a classic, they will not change it at the specified interval if they can get away with it. At the Townsville service I put a small piece of Sellotape on the brake fluid reservoir cap which was covered in dust and hadn’t been removed since the vehicle was delivered. Tape was still there at the end of the service, as was all the dust, and it was blindingly obvious the rubber caps on the bleeding nipples hadn’t been touched either. And yet in the service book, the brake fluid change box was ticked. That didn’t go down well and resulted in a particularly fiery exchange with the service manager, who credit to him regained his composure and had the technician do the job properly right there and then.

Our local Toyota dealership is a family owned business who are all round excellent. I don’t have either of our vehicles serviced there as they are well out of warranty and I do it all myself. But occasionally I will get stuck on something like a special tool or a specific fluid and they always sort me out promptly and fairly, Plus the service manager has been extremely helpful with proper service manual instructions.

So I guess I have learned over the years that by no means are all dealerships created equal, and it’s always worth getting a second opinion as I have found that quite a lot of large dealership employees don’t know their arse from their elbow.
    rugerman and m101a1 like this.
    Just...say...the...word

I guess the reason why I asked was a few things. They outsource a lot of the upgrade work ie. suspension.
    Asked for a tyre rotation one time, to which they replied after, that the poor technician was only a small guy and had a hard time with the big 4WD tyres and alloys.
    Asked another time to grease in between the OME leaf springs where the plastic packers are, there reply was, it’s too dangerous. WTF
    Happy to pay for good and proper service.
    Literally as I’m writing this, have got the txt message that the Ute is ready. I dropped it in at 08:00. 2 hours labour and some lubes for $1000. Taking the farkin piss
    stagstalker and No.3 like this.

You can't do all fluids, filters and fault code check in 2 hours - something wrong there. Unless they've got a quiet day and pack attacked the thing with every tech and apprentice...