Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Wagon change but what to get

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowgrass View Post
    Was in the same boat as you at the start of the year. Had a SWB Patrol but was far too tidy to get scratched up and not enough room. Sold it and got a manual 97 1kz Prado for less than a third the price I sold the Nissan for. Plenty of room and goes really well. Plus money in the bank to do a few things to it.
    They are a bloody good old truck eh

Yep I'd go a Prado like GWH's one, quite a few low km minters coming in from Japan at the moment. They do massive kms.

Or you may get lucky and find an earlier model of the 120 series with the 1kz motor. Don't get a 1KD D4D model - I think they came in post 2003.

Build a ply box to go in the back for when you cart you dogs around. Way more comfortable than a double cab ute.
    Snowgrass and GWH like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

H.M
    Yep they are an option for sure, they are full time 4wd is that right? I also want a manual one but they are few and far between. What sort of money did you get for your patrol snowgrass? If ya dont mind me asking. Not sure what to ask for mine as its bloody tidy.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by H.M View Post
    Yep they are an option for sure, they are full time 4wd is that right? I also want a manual one but they are few and far between. What sort of money did you get for your patrol snowgrass? If ya dont mind me asking. Not sure what to ask for mine as its bloody tidy.
    Yep they are full time 4WD, but have a transfer box with low and high range, so its not really in proper 4WD until you put it into 4H or 4L which then locks up the centre diff.

I really like the all wheel drive, dam safe on slippery road or on gravel roads, which i seem to do a lot of getting into hunting spots

Sold for 20k but had low kms and I was the second owner and was unmodified.

Have had two Prado now and you can’t beat the 1KZ motor. Prado are less expensive and you can tow a trailer (bike) and sleep in the back...

For me, my dogs and firewood collection tipped my decision towards the Hilux- (far too expensive for what they are) - Im paying $25,500K for an ‘06 that’s done 106kms. It’s in excellent condition and one owner so I’m happy to give it a go but it’s tough turning away from the mighty Prado...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

…you can’t beat the 1KZ motor

+1

Will sell my '96 Prado TZ 2.4TD weekend fishing and hunting knock-about when I take possession of a newer Prado (2015) on Wednesday 1 August.

Well, after seeing the 4 stuffed 200 series Cruisers come into work during the last 2 weeks, I wouldn't touch 1 without it being under NV warranty.
    Dust getting past air filter, buggering up the turbos and screwing the bores. But its not something a tiny 35K can't fix
    veitnamcam and Tommy like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

H.M
    Thanks for all the advice its bloody helpful. Starting to narrow it down to either a prado a high ks hilux or a bounty with canopy. Leaning toward the ute as i like the idea of dogs, wet gear, dead animals ect ect seperate from the cab. But all the talk about these prados is making it hard 😉

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Well, after seeing the 4 stuffed 200 series Cruisers come into work during the last 2 weeks, I wouldn't touch 1 without it being under NV warranty.
    Dust getting past air filter, buggering up the turbos and screwing the bores. But its not something a tiny 35K can't fix
    Jeubus! Toyota seen to have dropped the ball on air filtration in the last couple of years? first hiluxes then cruisers.

What I dont get is if you have been specking filters for the last 30-40 years quite well how do you suddenly get it so wrong?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Is the Cruiser air intake still down by the front wheel. I know of one that failed, not that old either,got it fixed and fitted a snorkel.
    Could've got my 08 Triton for $17 at Christmas time. They are cheaper 2nd hand than the others...
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

Intakes all in behind the front guards now.
    Been an issue for ages to be honest. Toyota have tried making the filters finer so they filter out more dust particles. Still an issue.
    Aussie only just stared having issues with the Hilux and Prado. Dust affecting the MAF sensor and cutting the power dramatically and also loses VSC, TRC, ABS etc.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/toy...e-system-fault

Intake systems supposedly getting redesigned as a field fix. But that's for Aussie. Haven't heard anything for NZ.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Big power through small filter means filter has to flow more = less micron rating
    Our big work horse breed vehicle won’t be used off road it will
    Be sweet as

Thanks for all the advice its bloody helpful. Starting to narrow it down to either a prado a high ks hilux or a bounty with canopy. Leaning toward the ute as i like the idea of dogs, wet gear, dead animals ect ect seperate from the cab. But all the talk about these prados is making it hard ��
    Have a good look at the bounty/ courier range, very good trucks with more mod cons than the same year Toyota’s
    Only selling mine to get a 3000kg + tow rating

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Mmmmmm and 7500tho oil changes
    Makes me want to run down and get one