Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 21 of 21
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Best value base layer/thermal's

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    128
    Sorry ment glowing sky

    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

  2. #17
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    2,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    How does your supposed Merino get ripped when its a base layer - or should be a base layer
    He may wear long johns under shorts like i do, i never where long pants when hunting, hate hate hate it
    ebf likes this.

  3. #18
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    14,486
    I'm still a big fan of polyprop. It's fairly tough and just doesn't hold moisture so I find it warmer. Has the advantage that after a few days of foot slogging I don't have to queue at the entrance to the hot pools. Usually wear shorts over longjohns and if too cold, wet or windy throw on the overtrou.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  4. #19
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I'm still a big fan of polyprop. It's fairly tough and just doesn't hold moisture so I find it warmer. Has the advantage that after a few days of foot slogging I don't have to queue at the entrance to the hot pools. Usually wear shorts over longjohns and if too cold, wet or windy throw on the overtrou.
    Polyprop exc for that
    Above mentions Merino LJ's - be way to costly to wear like that "if" genuine Merino wool - and yes would wear through real quick
    Wool is not meant to be rubbed open to abrasive elements
    @gadgetman
    Have you noticed if you put the Polyprop LJohns on "after" your legs already are cold - they stay cold ??
    Or is it just me ??

  5. #20
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    14,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Polyprop exc for that
    Above mentions Merino LJ's - be way to costly to wear like that "if" genuine Merino wool - and yes would wear through real quick
    Wool is not meant to be rubbed open to abrasive elements
    @gadgetman
    Have you noticed if you put the Polyprop LJohns on "after" your legs already are cold - they stay cold ??
    Or is it just me ??
    I find they warm up fine. Good if you do a lot of river crossings. 20m past the last crossing and they're already fairly dry, not holding cold water against you, no sagging.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  6. #21
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I find they warm up fine. Good if you do a lot of river crossings. 20m past the last crossing and they're already fairly dry, not holding cold water against you, no sagging.
    Thinking back - prob knowing me (as I hate anything other than putties on my legs) was putting on at camp at end of day
    If put on and moving - prob OK

    Yep - Poly don't hold water - but they do hold BO

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. After a good light breathable base layer
    By Chur Bay in forum Gear and Equipment
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 20-11-2018, 12:16 PM
  2. Base layer/long johns what to get
    By Gibo in forum Gear and Equipment
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 26-10-2018, 12:43 PM
  3. FS: Kuiu Ultra Merino 145gm Base layer top
    By outdoorlad in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-08-2018, 08:15 PM
  4. FS: DHB merino base layer (top)
    By kiwijames in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-07-2016, 11:50 AM
  5. Mid layer/Insulation layer ideas
    By PerazziSC3 in forum Gear and Equipment
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-12-2015, 10:58 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!