Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Fly tarp recommendations

For a base camp just use the big silver ones from Mitre 10. Heavy yes, but get a big one and useful for lighting a fire under the edge. They end up rooted so throw away.

If you are travelling light for the whole trip the Hilleberg are buy far the best, amazing bits of kit.

This may help your decision somewhat... Either set playback to 2x, or skip to 25mins in, and watch to 32 mins... https://youtu.be/l6aTjmmB6Ew

I think this reinforces pretty well OutdoorLad and Bobba's shouts above.

I don't have a tarp yet, but when I do, it'll be a Stoney Creek one.
    Danny likes this.
    bunji likes this.

I have the Stoney Creek Stealth Fly (sleeps 2 no worries) My mate has a Siltarp fly - for some reason we always take the Stealth.
    I really like the 6 loops of elastic on the fly which makes quick storage of the attached cords to save them from being a tangled mess

I’ve got a DD Hammocks super light 3x3 and really love that. Has about 20 reinforced attachment points compared to about 8 on my old Stoney Creek one, allowing for way more versatility with setups. Including 4 pegs & guy ropes it weighs in at about 460gm. I’ve also made up a quick release ridgeline plus have some additional pegs & guy ropes I can chuck in depending on expected conditions and what setup I think I’ll likely use. So far very happy with it.

@simontrevor Fiordland is our back yard for over 14yrs & one of the reasons we brought our Farm in the region & we hunt & dive it on the regular every year ,over a Decade ago we built our 8mtr boat & jet boats to our specs for reaching into remote FL hunting spots .

Your choice is up to you & as can be seen in the recommendations many confuse what is suitable for a overnighter in areas not subject to severe storm fronts sweeping through at any time of year ,to what may save your life in days of tree snapping winds & heavy, non stop ,driven freezing rain in FL ,our long range weather forecasts rely on constant input from long haul, international flights, high altitude data & until they increase significantly , will not have the accuracy we are use to going into the near future . Last year we were part of the emergency evacuation in the Alps while on a Tahr/Chammy hunt ,from this lack of normal wide ranging Data , as usual l was getting my missus to monitor & send thru updated weather reports & it was her actually contacting the Heli mob that triggered it before the gale force winds hit, we had to sit part of it out as another group who were not as well prepared got hammered.

Tents need a HD waterproof bucket floor & what we have found with camp Fly's over the years is the large Stoney Creek , Bomber Fly, or the large DD Hammocks are the ones that are capable of standing up to the FL weather ,(we use my SC Bomber Fly regularly throughout the year even on Jet Boat hunting Expeditions etc as a base, missus & l used it/can be seen in the recent post/pics l posted of a overnight Jet Boat hunt, from memory five years old now ),you need cover large enough to get all your gear out of storms ,but more importantly room for everyone to be able to comfortably spend a couple of days under, out of the weather ,that happens regularly in FL, one of these in 4mtr X 4mtr plus, is the min size in my experience , there is no point in getting a smaller one not suitable to the FL conditions / task .Personally l favor Orange etc coloring as it can also serve as a High Vis ground marker if needed in Emergency .

@Sarvo Can you provide a link to the ones you are carrying in stock
    Last edited by bunji; 01-02-2022 at 03:04 PM.
    erniec likes this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

@Sarvo Can you provide a link to the ones you are stocking[/QUOTE]

20% off from site price on here

https://www.nzgrhunts.com/tents-equi...2t-k6lre-5rczg

Thanks guys for the replys been really helpful. Always cool to get people's different points of view as I've never used a fly before. Going to have a lot at some more in the flesh this weekend. Deciding between the siltarp stoney creek stealth and stoneycreek drone fly. Will let you know what we go with! Happy hunting