Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: GAITERS

lynn river perhaps??? the ywill be someone elses being onsold...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

RV1
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodiffs View Post
    What about that outfit in Geraldine?. Can't think of their name but aren't their gaiters pretty good?.
    You mean these: https://www.mountainhighclothing.co.nz/shop/

I've been considering some. They were highly recommended by a local who gets them made to length for his whole family. He swears by them.

Any other thoughts on gaiters?

Finally had to acknowledge I need them.... not to keep crap or damp out but because like a lot of older fella's I have thin skin and keep scraping knocking chunks out of my shins. It doesn't take much.

Had a lot of experience with canvas gaiters for alpine work in the 1970's and early 80's, and they were great but noisy off track in the bush. I see outfits like https://www.mountainhighclothing.co.nz/shop/ offer fleece covered ones, but I suspect that will also add heat, which I need like a hole in the head. Anyone got any recommendations for quiet, light knee highs?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by RV1 View Post
    You mean these: https://www.mountainhighclothing.co.nz/shop/

I've been considering some. They were highly recommended by a local who gets them made to length for his whole family. He swears by them.
    No, Wilkins Canvas mate. They can be Googled.
    RV1 likes this.

Long socks and shin pads?
    Happy Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Any other thoughts on gaiters?

Finally had to acknowledge I need them.... not to keep crap or damp out but because like a lot of older fella's I have thin skin and keep scraping knocking chunks out of my shins. It doesn't take much.

Had a lot of experience with canvas gaiters for alpine work in the 1970's and early 80's, and they were great but noisy off track in the bush. I see outfits like https://www.mountainhighclothing.co.nz/shop/ offer fleece covered ones, but I suspect that will also add heat, which I need like a hole in the head. Anyone got any recommendations for quiet, light knee highs?

TIA
    The Mountain high gaiters are excellent! The fleece covered ones are very quiet and I havent noticed them causing any heating problems and i've been using them for well over 25 years. Depending on your boot style you may not even need the stirrup strap. And they last and last - fleece is an amazing fabric, and because it it stitched over the top of the canvas, it doesnt allow the canvas to crinkle and rub on itself which results in wearing and holes. Another benefit with fleece covered gaiters is they dont freeze like other single fabric gaiters, cos fleece dont freeze.

I use the legs off an old wetsuit cut just over the knees. Nice and quiet.
    TimC likes this.

Bush hunting use HE Gravel Gaiters (zipless, neoprene). Work well in providing abrasion protection for my trail runners, which will like most fabric shoes will eventually develop holes. Gaiters normally last a year or so of heavy use. Tops hunting, realised a couple of years ago that (a) if wearing trousers, I didn't actually need them and (b) with shorts the HE gaiters are so much better. Guess it depends on where you hunt as to what you need.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

I use puttees in summer fleece covered. And full length Cactus canvas for tramping in snow. Don't hunt much in winter so hasn't been an issue so far