Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Gaiters - Do you use them or not?

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    [/I][/B]

Just cos you don't have the legs for it...!!

I was alive in the 80s..for five weeks bwahaha.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

4 years in the 80s was enough to teach me there are much better things around than stubbies so I hunt in pants and wear knee length gaiters

I have used horse leg bandages, and yes I have been mocked for it but I had a mate roll an ankle four hours from camp and he will be forever gratefull for the use of one of them. Each morning when winding them on one has to put up with the usual neighing sounds from your so-called mates. Stretched out between two trees, they also make a good drying line for wet clothes...
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    I have used horse leg bandages, and yes I have been mocked for it but I had a mate roll an ankle four hours from camp and he will be forever gratefull for the use of one of them. Each morning when winding them on one has to put up with the usual neighing sounds from your so-called mates. Stretched out between two trees, they also make a good drying line for wet clothes...
    Spook I like stuff like that, useful for more than one thing. My little luxury item that is always with me is my shemagh - scarf, pillow, blanket, towel, small tarp, compression bandage, arm sling, leg sling.... even has nice tassles that if my mouth is dry and water is scarce, I can suck on the material and it gives one a certain degree of comfort. Only had to do that once so far though!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    You didnt serve in WWI by any chance??
    Ryan likes this.

Gaiters just don't do it for me more hassle than the benefit I get from them I hunt 12 months of the year in shorts in winter I wear huntech long john thermals

I have them but yet to put them to the test

currently using Huntech kneelength, best around in my opinion.

A mate has a pair of Stonies - I thought he had a scabby old goat tail tied to his boot, turns out it was just the crappy webbing frayed to bits with crap stuck all thru it.

I had short neoprenes that were bloody good at keeping feet dry on small creek crossings but didn't hold up too well in the thick stuff (got holes ripped in them eventually).

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Short putties.Just enough to stop the boots filling with water/gravel and cover the laces.
    Im with him

I wear Hunters element gravel guards, they work fantastically!I NEVER hunt with out em!

I've been using Macpac Cascade knee length Gaiters for the past few years and love them.I think the best bit abut them is how far you can get them down over your boot top,with huntech ones I would still get crap work it's way into my boots.

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    Im with him
    We need to get you up amongst the spaniard
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    We need to get you up amongst the spaniard
    That shit is evil,fortunately piss all of it round here
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Won't be using huntech again not that you can buy then anymore, didn't even last 12months got holes in em and zips fucked I chucked em after last hunt

I've got a pair of knee high canvas Katmandu ones - a tad noisy but well made (10+ years old).