Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Gaiters - Do you use them or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    Before them I had Tui gaiters and I wore them out after about 7 years.
    I too use long Tui Trail gaiters. Have had them for about 10 years (got them free from the wholesaler). They work extremely well and after 30 odd river crossings on a trip my feet were still dry. I prefer them when tackling gorse, speargrass and matagouri. Also have a pile of the short variety too, again free. Have give a few pairs away as normally keep a spare pair in the truck.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I use the knee high Huntech gaiters. Love them. Had to get the canvas instep strap loop replaced soon after buying them though, got a local canvas guy to stitch in new ones that go half way up the inside to stop them coming out again, still going strong after 8 years of abuse.

I see H&F are making a copy of these, but they seem to be half calf length ones which unless you are a hobbit, would be annoying as hell to wear.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    I wear leather welding spatts Knee high. Bloody awesome trust me on this one.
    Where do you buy these from ?
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I too use long Tui Trail gaiters. Have had them for about 10 years (got them free from the wholesaler). They work extremely well and after 30 odd river crossings on a trip my feet were still dry. I prefer them when tackling gorse, speargrass and matagouri. Also have a pile of the short variety too, again free. Have give a few pairs away as normally keep a spare pair in the truck.
    Where do you get these ? Never heard of them but then i am not a shop person.
    What are your boots? Gumboots?
    I have never owned boot apart from gumboots that could stay dry that long.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I found hunttec had funny sizing or my legs are funny sized lol. I just use the short stoney creek ones now
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Where do you get these ? Never heard of them but then i am not a shop person.
    What are your boots? Gumboots?
    I have never owned boot apart from gumboots that could stay dry that long.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    I wear ex German forces boots. Mine are Haix but they also had Lowa and Mendhl (whatever it is) for $125 a pair with very little use. I keep them full of Sno-Seal bees wax. Tui Trail is a brand from Charton International and normally available from most camping shops. It is budget stuff but seems to work really well for me. Looking at them I cannot figure out how they keep the water out, I don't think they should as they close with velcro right up the back edge.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

old wet suit pants cut off at knee and turned up side do pretty much all of the above

Quote Originally Posted by grunter View Post
    old wet suit pants cut off at knee and turned up side do pretty much all of the above
    +1 great idea....was thinking about that myself....get a cheap battered one off trade me and 'see to it' with a stanley!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Did I read that right, you have a contact which can supply german boots (2nd hand) for $125?
    Where?
    Kiwi Disposals, but they are out of stock and lost their shop here a couple of weeks after I got a pair for TimeRider.

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...html#post62686

Best footwear I've ever worn, wish they had more as I'd like some for TR's oldest sister.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Kiwi Disposals have a store on Karangahape Road in Auckland. Some would tell you that it is just along from the red light district but I wouldn't know that.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I usually wear gaiters, have a set of knee high Stoney creek ones which must be 3years old and still going strong. Also have an older set of Dryline neoprene gaitors which I pulled out of the cupboard on the last trip... got me wondering why I have been walking around in long gaiters for the last few years. For the type of hunting I do (Bush stalking, Kaimais/Kaimanawas) light weight anlkle highs are perfect.
    Gibo likes this.

Its a nay from me. I have always found gaiters over rated

Yeah I use neoprene ankle ones, never liked the knee highs, always sound noisy and look gumby

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Kiwi Disposals have a store on Karangahape Road in Auckland. Some would tell you that it is just along from the red light district but I wouldn't know that.
    Yeah, your right Rushy, i dont know why i volunteered to answer that question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always make sure 'she' doesn't have an 'adams apple'........and size 13 stilettos......huge give away.....'she' probably wont be selling 2nd hand Germany Army boots either....ACHTUNG......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Dougie makes it sounds better wearing knee highs then you fullas

I have a pair on huntech ones, had them for 10 years. They are a bit rough these days but cant throw them out just yet. I have obviuosly missed something with them not being made anymore. Has Huntech stopped making gear?