Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Gaiters - Do you use them or not?

Yes for gaiters. Got stony creeks they're good. steel underboot lace would be better. Though I've missed placed mine god dang..

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    I'm always in shorts and Full length putties. Can't remember the brand but they are the silent ones with the wire arch stirrups.

gaiters knee length hunters element , last well and keep all the crap out my boots only time i don't use them is pig hunting as i use chaps

Damit! Can you recommend anything that is equally as good as Tui trail gaiters?

Huntech

Quote Originally Posted by Supernova View Post
    Damit! Can you recommend anything that is equally as good as Tui trail gaiters?

Awesome, thank you - have checked these out online and they look good. I'm a tramper not a hunter but not keen on the fancy expensive goretex gaiters. Like the trusty canvas. Just can't find a store to get them from (want to go in and try them on). Are you able to point me in the right direction?

Awesome, thank you - have checked these out online and they look good. I'm a tramper not a hunter but not keen on the fancy expensive goretex gaiters. Like the trusty canvas. Just can't find a store to get them from (want to go in and try them on). Are you able to point me in the right direction?
    That can be fixed with a couple of accessories.
    sako75 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Farmlands has what you are after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do almost more tramping than hunting. So just about all of my gear crosses over between the too.
    I always always wear gaiters, even if just going rabbit hunting in paddocks. They also make a hell of a difference in the wear of your boot, they cop the damage instead of your far more expensive boots.
    I use Outdoor Research Crocodile Gaiters. The upper is made from Gortex so they breath rather well and the lower is of a hard wearing Cordura. They have a very strong and hard wearing under boot loop which connects again via a buckle. They fit tight enough to the leg that they don't rub which is great for noise and crampons.
    My first test of them was a 62km 5 day tramp along the Douglas Range. They held up amazingly and proved them selves.

I'd rate them against any other gaiter. Also, something to think about is that just about 9/10 tramping gaiters are better than hunting gaiters for their intended job of keeping crap out and keeping your boots dry. Only difference being if they're silent or not.
    Which, these definitely are.

Look no further, definitely grab a pair of OR Crocodile Gaiters, you certainly won't regret it.

Keegan

The outddor research ones are nice and sea to summit make a canvas goretex gaiter which go for about 80 bucks
    #BallisticFists

Quote Originally Posted by nz_hunter View Post
    I do almost more tramping than hunting. So just about all of my gear crosses over between the too.
    I always always wear gaiters, even if just going rabbit hunting in paddocks. They also make a hell of a difference in the wear of your boot, they cop the damage instead of your far more expensive boots.
    I use Outdoor Research Crocodile Gaiters. The upper is made from Gortex so they breath rather well and the lower is of a hard wearing Cordura. They have a very strong and hard wearing under boot loop which connects again via a buckle. They fit tight enough to the leg that they don't rub which is great for noise and crampons.
    My first test of them was a 62km 5 day tramp along the Douglas Range. They held up amazingly and proved them selves.

I'd rate them against any other gaiter. Also, something to think about is that just about 9/10 tramping gaiters are better than hunting gaiters for their intended job of keeping crap out and keeping your boots dry. Only difference being if they're silent or not.
    Which, these definitely are.

Look no further, definitely grab a pair of OR Crocodile Gaiters, you certainly won't regret it.

Keegan
    Ive got them for mountaineering, they are shit hot!
    nz_hunter likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Ive got them for mountaineering, they are shit hot!
    My original reason for their purchase as well! They keep my Alpine bibs nice and tidy at my boot when I'm wearing crampons.
    A few of my friends have since purchased them!
    Great to hear from a fellow mountaineer enthusiast!!

Keegan

I havn't used them so far, but after the last trip out hunting in an onga onga forest, getting numerous zaps through the leggings, I think I will invest in a pair

Quote Originally Posted by nz_hunter View Post
    I always always wear gaiters, even if just going rabbit hunting in paddocks.
    I tried that but it looked a bit silly with jandals.
    veitnamcam, Pengy and Nick-D like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shift14 View Post
    My neoprene puttees with my Andrews boots, and Stoney Creek Powder Dry leggings.
    They pretty ugh keep water out up to thigh depth, but pressure at that depth can push a bit in.

B
    They comfy? $40 is a pretty temting price. Be nice to keep the feet a bit drier also....