Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Gear for a few days.

K95

Gear for a few days.

Heading off for a bit of an explore tomorrow. This is roughly the gear I take when I am hunting for a few days on the tops. Have to go get some food in a while but there's an older pic of the type of stuff I take, I change my food all the time but rough enough. All goes into that big yellow dry bag in 65 litre pack.

There is a tent & poles, sleeping mat, sleeping bag inside the red dry bag, boots, pack, old pillow case, cooker & gas, spoon, ice axe, binos, pouch, knife, spotting scope & tripod.

Clothing is one set of thermals, merino undies, one lightweight merino tee, one heavier weight merino tee (the old d23 oatmeal coloured ones), two fleece long sleeve tops, lightweight nylon shorts ( $15 warehouse jobs), very lightweight long pants ( good for keeping the sun off and staying cool), two pairs of good socks, waterproof gloves, primaloft mittens and beanie ( the small blue and black things), down jacket, waterproof parka and over pants, gaiters, a sunhat and glasses.

Other things to go in are small stuff like sunscreen, waterbottle or bladder, camera, maps, gps and rangefinder.

The rug is terrible.

DSC_0860
    P1010678
    Last edited by K95; 10-01-2015 at 04:47 PM.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

Pretty similar to what I take, what brand/type of fleece tops do you use? What's the total weight? I've just got a Western mountaineer sleep bag 3 season (530gm) drops 1.2kg off my macpac one. Trying to cut the weight back a bit.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

K95
    One is cactus and the other a sitka one someone gave me. I don't wear them often, usually at camp. I will replace one of them with a light hoodless soft shell at some stage when I have spare dosh.
    A new bag will be the next thing I change though, this one is a one planet 1.3kg. Would love a synthetic for the "safety" factor but the bulk and weight is hard to justify. A mont bell or similar around 650grm and a waterproof cover will probably be it.

I will weigh it tonight once it's all packed. Probably about 16kg or so.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

K95
    18kg. Plenty of scope to drop weight but it all costs $$$. Of course if I am not hunting the tops it drops well under 15kg for four days, Ice axe, spotting scope and tripod go and tent exchanged for a fly.

DSC_0868

What are the noodle looking things towards the top of the food pic? And what's the crispy bites for?
    Proudkiwi likes this.

K95
    The noodle looking things are noodles funny enough. Some Chinese/japense chicken flavoured things. Good for snacking on. Crispy bites packet is like coat 'n' cook spicey crumbs stuff that goes awesome of fresh shot tahr/ chamois whatever.

I got beaten by the fog this time. Nine hours walk into the hut then cloud and rain for the whole night and yesterday. Looked like it was going to lift this morning with patches of blue sky but it came back down so I walked home again. Oh well. Saw four deer on the way in.
    Bernie, Gibo and hotsoup like this.

Nope the rug is cool

What type is the tripod ? Im trying to find a good light carbon one for my ATX 65.

K95
    Slik 624. Got it from DED. $400 I think it was. Could get a lighter ball head but I use it for videoing as well so it works.

Quote Originally Posted by K95 View Post
    Slik 624. Got it from DED. $400 I think it was. Could get a lighter ball head but I use it for videoing as well so it works.
    I got the same tripod from DED's after chasing them up at various optics/camera stores.....BnH Video etc overseas were all nil stock.....

The chap looking on my behalf up here said the Slik factory burnt down ( ?) , so didn't hesitate buying here. Ordered it late arvo, on my doorstep next morning, with a lockable Slik ball head. Mounting my SLR or Swaro STS 65 on it.

They had 4 left after my purchase, it's a great piece of kit.

B

K95
    Ordered a Katabatic Gear sleeping bag 650grams and made myself one of the coke can mesh cookers and got a titanium mug for it. Dropped a another kilo from the pack.
    outdoorlad likes this.

What did you make the stand out of? I made one out of chicken wire but it melted.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

K95
    Still working on that part. Chicken wire till I have a brilliant idea and come up with something better.

I'll post all my gear later. Have been on a weight saving mission too, haven't actually added it all up yet.

K95
    Shit yeah. Keen to see. Sleeping pad is next. Going back to a "self inflating" style. I don't like the tube type I've decided.

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!