Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Hunting Gumboots

Hunting Gumboots

Just been thinking, does anyone else use high quality gumboot like Skellerup Quatro's, Boonies and the like for hunting? Especially all day long walking distances.

did 17ish kms today in my ashleys..workmate who chases pigs/dogs every week does the same other than in mid summer....
    a set of half decent innersoles and they are great...tried the flash ones and found they were far too hot and held sweaty moisture too well. werent as grippy either.
    Dama dama and trapperjohn like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    did 17ish kms today in my ashleys..workmate who chases pigs/dogs every week does the same other than in mid summer....
    a set of half decent innersoles and they are great...tried the flash ones and found they were far too hot and held sweaty moisture too well. werent as grippy either.
    Cripes. How often do I have to tell you. They ruin your feet.
    Rubber boots, mercators, white spirits stoves and canvas tents are just so last year.
    HUNTY, Bagheera, tetawa and 8 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

MB
    Did a 22km walk in my Mainlander gumboots one day. It wasn't part of the plan, it just sort of happened, Forest Gump-style. They were pretty good, no sore feet! Generally though, I wear tramping boots.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Rubber boots, mercators, white spirits stoves and canvas tents are just so last year.
    Oh come on Tahr. Gumboots are great for hunting. Duck hunting that is.
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Know more than a few who do the whole day in Red Band plus others in their white meat works gummies.

I wanna buy another pair of Quatro's but shiiiiiiiiit they've gone up in price since I bought my last pair 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Did a 22km walk in my Mainlander gumboots one day. It wasn't part of the plan, it just sort of happened, Forest Gump-style. They were pretty good, no sore feet! Generally though, I wear tramping boots.
    I might need to check out the mainlanders

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Know more than a few who do the whole day in Red Band plus others in their white meat works gummies.
    The worst thing about them I think was drenching sheep and working with sheep in the race. Sheep trampling my feet in rubber boots really ruined them. Plus hot days farming and hunting in them.
    Barry the hunter likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I have been using boonies last 6 months at work due to the wet ground and wet socks. Ok for what i have been using them for, in and out of a machine. But i wouldn't use them as a hunting boot they are slippery as buggery and the are a hot boot. Just gone back to a leather boot this week as its starting to dry out
    Micky Duck likes this.

I'm a bit strange, I usually just wear my redbands. I know they aren't supposed to be but for my feet they are the most comfortable thing I wear. Got hiking boots etc but just automatically just slip them on and your away...
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Not adverse to wearing gumboots hunting on occassion as long as not too much steep walking. Been known to wear Skellerup Perth or Quatto boots Goose shooting on Molesworth many a time over fourty year period, up to 26-30 km walks at times.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    I might need to check out the mainlanders
    Just Googled them and compared price to my receipt, they might be the only thing in this country that has got cheaper in the last 5 years! I'd hunt in them again if I had to. Just be aware that the top of the boot noisily slaps against the shin as you walk. There's a couple of solutions, tightening the buckle on the boots (slips eventually), wearing thick pants or folding the top of the boot down. Must be common to all gumboots?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Clearly you have not spoken to my mate up the coast. Red Bands since he was 15. Now 65. Last outing in a week got 6 deer. Agree mercators are crap. Swibo beats them hands down. Also uses those "yester year" Barnes. LOL.

'
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.

MB
    Aigle boots look good, popular in Europe for hunting, but admittedly they hunt quite differently to us and the boots come at a price.