Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: The New - Amazon Tax - comments and future facts for us

I imagine we might see an additional handling or service fee for the extra paperwork. Looking at the kuiu service and exchange rates they appear to have an additional fee

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    Only issue there is when it goes missing or is damaged in transit and the courier company pays out on what is on the invoice and your bro is out $1725
    That’s why you pay extra for tracking and ship via DHL or similar. Never ever had anything lost, been doing it for years ex US and UK.

B
    hotsoup likes this.

15-20% isn't going to make a difference at all to what I buy overseas. Nine times out of ten I import because I simply can't get what I want here in NZ and the local retailers aren't interested in helping. Then there's the cost saving, not uncommon to save hundreds! Most recently I landed a new Solas impeller, wear ring, impeller tool and various other Seadoo maintenance parts,direct from US to my office within a fortnight, for a THIRD of what it was going to cost me here - and I looked into getting them here, I was told I'd be waiting up to a month for some of the things I wanted. Fark off...
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

thread hijack sounds like someone bought or built a mini jet boat?

i just ordered loads of heatshrink from ali express, dirt cheap and its a good product.
    even if they charged gst on it it would be 20% of the price i pay here

Quote Originally Posted by yerimaginaryM8 View Post
    thread hijack sounds like someone bought or built a mini jet boat?
    No, I have a jetski
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Getting the best price is great for the consumer, and actually drives prices down in the local shops, but where are these overseas suppliers when you need a part on opening morning because your gun throws a wobbly, you have a warranty problem. There is no doubt NZ suppliers cannot supply some parts, try getting a barrel/ bolt from Berretta, parts for older guns, but remember the more parts/ items you buy from overseas, the less options you have in NZ, and the higher the unemployment levels will become.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Getting the best price is great for the consumer, and actually drives prices down in the local shops, but where are these overseas suppliers when you need a part on opening morning because your gun throws a wobbly, you have a warranty problem. There is no doubt NZ suppliers cannot supply some parts, try getting a barrel/ bolt from Berretta, parts for older guns, but remember the more parts/ items you buy from overseas, the less options you have in NZ, and the higher the unemployment levels will become.
    Discussed this ‘perceived ‘ warranty issue with a Swaro guy from Austria (?) at the Sika Show. He said it’s not a problem, you’re paying for support worldwide, no matter where purchased, when you buy their gear.

My real life experience mirrored that, two scopes have been back to Austria, one for a retro fit BT, the other for a scratched ocular lens.
    Both purchased off eBay. Handled extremely well by the then NZ agent, no questions asked.

Largely it’s bullshit, a smoke screen put up by rip off Retailers.

B
    Steve123, 7x64 and hotsoup like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shift14 View Post
    Discussed this ‘perceived ‘ warranty issue with a Swaro guy from Austria (?) at the Sika Show. He said it’s not a problem, you’re paying for support worldwide, no matter where purchased, when you buy their gear.

My real life experience mirrored that, two scopes have been back to Austria, one for a retro fit BT, the other for a scratched ocular lens.
    Both purchased off eBay. Handled extremely well by the then NZ agent, no questions asked.

B
    I agree. To be honest I've had better after sales support dealing with the manufacturer direct when I've had an issue, than 'trying' to deal with local retailers.
    7x64 and csmiffy like this.

Would be surprised if many wholesalers hold much in parts. Sick of being told it must be returned to the manufacturer when it's something a boy scout could fit here.
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shift14 View Post

B
    Good to know, thanks for this

Unfortunately retail is a minimum wage fill in job now. There is other work out there that benefits the country more. Most of the money goes to the landlord anyway which is really small retails biggest problem now in the centers.

Retailers want protectionism back, no question. I suppose many are hoping that the bigger net retailers cut NZ loose but if there is there will be a quite a reaction. I don't care about paying the %15 but if this change was truly about fairness, the $50+ inspection fee would just be a %1 on the top or only on stuff over $1000 which is what oz is proposing (I understand).
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Unfortunately retail is a minimum wage fill in job now. There is other work out there that benefits the country more. Most of the money goes to the landlord anyway which is really small retails biggest problem now in the centers.

Retailers want protectionism back, no question. I suppose many are hoping that the bigger net retailers cut NZ loose but if there is there will be a quite a reaction. I don't care about paying the %15 but if this change was truly about fairness, the $50+ inspection fee would just be a %1 on the top or only on stuff over $1000 which is what oz is proposing (I understand).
    Most retail operations in NZ deserve to fail anyway.
    Not only do they rip us off with high prices but our taxes subsidise the pricks getting away with paying shitty wages to their staff.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

i disaree .. GST is a regressive tax , easily rorted by any business like farmers who can write of their hunting equipment such as boots clothes vechile fuel et as farm expenses , also the paper work is a pain , the sicker you are or the bigger family u hav u pay more tax ...the fairest way would be a financial transaction tax on shares housing etc in my view .

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by bazz61 View Post
    i disaree .. GST is a regressive tax , easily rorted by any business like farmers who can write of their hunting equipment such as boots clothes vechile fuel et as farm expenses , also the paper work is a pain , the sicker you are or the bigger family u hav u pay more tax ...the fairest way would be a financial transaction tax on shares housing etc in my view .
    The rules around writing-off GST for businesses could be tightened.
    Does being sicker cost you more in GST? If so, it could be written-off for genuine healthcare costs.
    Having a bigger family is a choice.
    Yes, GST would need tweaking, but the more you spend, the more you pay. No tax system is going to please everybody, but this seems pretty fair to me.
    mikee likes this.