Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: The New - Amazon Tax - comments and future facts for us

Quote Originally Posted by bazz61 View Post
    i disaree .. GST is a regressive tax , easily rorted by any business like farmers who can write of their hunting equipment such as boots clothes vechile fuel et as farm expenses , also the paper work is a pain , the sicker you are or the bigger family u hav u pay more tax ...the fairest way would be a financial transaction tax on shares housing etc in my view .
    The financial transaction tax is a great idea and it encourages savings as well.
    The GST returns are a pain but I reckon it's fair enough if you claim all you can, remembr the self employed get no holiday, sick pay, kiwisave top ups etc. Got to have some perks.
    199p and mikee like this.

Ebay, amazon and aliexpress have already said they'll boycott Australia if they try and implement the same. In which case NZ would likely have no chance. Why should they provide tax collection services for a country for free? Its a can of worms thats no where near as simple as its being made out to be.

No new taxes in the first term they said, theres no fiscal hole and saying so is dirty politics they said....lol
    199p, grunzter and timattalon like this.

Piopio, Christchurch, Pilbara/GreatSandy Desert WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin View Post
    Ebay, amazon and aliexpress have already said they'll boycott Australia if they try and implement the same. In which case NZ would likely have no chance. Why should they provide tax collection services for a country for free? Its a can of worms thats no where near as simple as its being made out to be.

No new taxes in the first term they said, theres no fiscal hole and saying so is dirty politics they said....lol
    https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...cee7046f63b894

If they don’t contribute, tell em to piss off! I can’t dodge GST, I have to calculate and collect and hand it over to the hungry govt. so why should some big corporate, he’ll bent on destroying a market, be allowed to rape us and take our money off shore!! And they’re not the only ones!
    Woody and Steve123 like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

What a mess this thread is, no one wants to pay tax, retailers in NZ rob there customers?, why should overseas company's collect tax for NZ ?, well next time you complain about the roads, hospitals and schools, or we have a earthquake, think where that money comes from. As for retailers robbing you and payin crap wages, ask a farm worker on a salary how much he earns if he works it out per hour, try getting gun parts and ammo above walkworth, there's only H&F, (yes I work for them) why is there no one else ? Because it doe,s not pay, if people think they can make a living in retail selling guns etc, cheaper and Than everyone else perhaps they should open a store up here, you can then pay me more , employ a accountant to avoid paying tax,and live a life of luxury.
    Maca49 and Woody like this.

Perhaps the same rules should apply to individuals as they do to businesses.... thats what you are arguing for isn't it?

Since when do the overseas companies that supply you have to extract your GST and customs fees before shipping?
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    What a mess this thread is, no one wants to pay tax, retailers in NZ rob there customers?, why should overseas company's collect tax for NZ ?, well next time you complain about the roads, hospitals and schools, or we have a earthquake, think where that money comes from. As for retailers robbing you and payin crap wages, ask a farm worker on a salary how much he earns if he works it out per hour, try getting gun parts and ammo above walkworth, there's only H&F, (yes I work for them) why is there no one else ? Because it doe,s not pay, if people think they can make a living in retail selling guns etc, cheaper and Than everyone else perhaps they should open a store up here, you can then pay me more , employ a accountant to avoid paying tax,and live a life of luxury.
    It's not just firearm related stuff we're getting ripped off on.
    If people decided to boycott just one retail chain for a while you'd see some action on lower prices. Would be good to start with one petrol brand as an experiment.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

I don't buy overseas because I can avoid paying GST, I buy overseas because generally they will sell me the things I actually want (not just what they have in stock on the shelf) at a reasonable price.

Retailers really have no idea if they think this will mean people like me will buy local instead!!
    I can order my contact lenses from my local eye doctor on a Monday and go an pick them up them by friday, I can order the same lenses online on a Monday and have them in my mailbox by friday and save a few dollars. No if I could Order them Monday from my local and pick them up tues or wed then I would get them locally.
    Same with hunting clothing, buy local and it costs heaps and falls apart and all you get is excuses that its your fault but all the Sitka / Kuiu I have also cost heaps but doesn't seem to fall apart quite so readily. Maybe the US customers wont buy shit stuff twice, and most US stores will fall over to provide you good service they want you to come back.
    Having to pay GST and customs duty has zero effect on my decisions as I have already factored it in to the price

Expecting overseas companies to adjust there business models to continue selling to us as a small user is a big ask. Most likely they will just walk away.............
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I agree with you on the lack of quality.
    Thought I'd try gaitors. Got a pair of Stoney Creek? I think. Top buckle on the bloody things gave up after one slip.
    Buy NZ made now means "buy Chinese crap with a New Zealand designed label" now days.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    timattalon likes this.

Though I would prefer not to pay GST on my imports under $400, its not the reason I buy most of my goodies overseas, from gun parts, books, and some shoes & clothing as well as other hobbies stuff... its because they have what I want!
    If I had to pay GST I would not change my habits.
    The reason why the international market place is so good is choice (...and price )!
    If you cut that choice off like amazon in Australia, then the government is basically saying only buy local... pretty narrow minded and the wrong path if you ask me...

Really? I know Carl and if you’re suggesting he’s struggling I would love to hear what you think qualifies as doing well...

I think you may find he has his fingers in more pies than H&F. I wonder what his hourly rate works out at,? He works constantly, No one has still answered the whole social responsibility issue of what happens if the country does not raise enough tax.

Taff, tax tax tax as much as I hate it, because 50% of it gets squandered looking for votes, it pisses me off large overseas corporates raping our markets and not paying their tax. Global markets must be responsible markets, no GST means someone else carries the burden of running this country and as I said I hate paying tax to wasters already!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I think you may find he has his fingers in more pies than H&F. I wonder what his hourly rate works out at,? He works constantly, No one has still answered the whole social responsibility issue of what happens if the country does not raise enough tax.
    I’m very aware of Carl’s varied interests. Regardless, the fact remains that his H&F branches deliver the majority of his cash.

As it stands, how much income do you think the government is missing out on by failing to collect on the sub $400 goods imported?

Personally, I would like to see GST increased to about 22% but remove all income tax.

All of which ignores what the majority of posts refer to which is shithouse service and poor local selection. GST arguments are never going to fix that.
    Steve123 likes this.

I'm pretty sure that if you think collecting tax on amazon books and chinese clothing will somehow make a difference to funding "social responsibility" then you haven't done the maths.
    Particularly after the costs of collection are deducted from that, and the additional costs imposed by overseas companies ensure additional extra funds are flowing out of the country.

This is what it is, pandering to anti competitive retailers at the expense of the ordinary consumer who doesn't want to be bound to internal monopolies.
    Nickoli and Steve123 like this.