Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: New Maxtoch Torch

If you have a T6 screwdriver and a file the fix is easy. Unscrew the battery tube then unscrew the flange that it screws into with the T6. File the screws down from 6mm to about 4mm, I cleaned them up afterwards by running through an M2x0.4 die. Then file about 1mm off the end of the battery tube that screws into the flange, this stops the battery tube being wound in too far and pushing the circuit board away from the flange that provides the negative contact.

There are a bunch of new screws coming and the T6 screwdrivers are $4 at Mitre10. Not sure if the new screws are 1.5mm Hex or T6; will keep you posted.

There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

SiB
    Do I dismantle in the same way if I want to dedome??

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    Do I dismantle in the same way if I want to dedome??
    No. Undo the bezel on the front and remove the lens and reflector. Pry up the white board in the bottom (undo screws on the models where used) and unsolder the wires to remove the board. De-dome by whatever method you desire and put it all back together. Remove the white nylon round the LED if you are going to apply heat for de-doming and carefully replace it once de-domed.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I had trouble with mine last time i used it and pulled it down thinking it was something like this but it seemed ok once i refitted everything. I might have another look. Mine was screwed together with 1.5mm hex.

That sounds like one of the originals that were fine. How long you had it?

I hereby nominate Brian (gadget) for a good bugger award for the numerous dedomes, people's f-up repairs, and odd maxtoch production errors he fixes. Well done!
    Josh, Matt2308, Toby and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    @Josh

Huge thank you for lending me your torch as that helped us find the problem and solutions very quickly. Yours is now sorted and de-domed and on its way back to you.
    Woah, back this shit right up. I sent my torch to you, you fixed it and dedomed it for free, and I'M getting thanked?!

You're a legend mate, thanks so much for getting my torch back up and running (and dedoming!)
    Matt2308 and Gibo like this.

ordered mine in may.

Quote Originally Posted by blair993 View Post
    ordered mine in may.
    Should be all good then. Make sure you keep the threads clean and everything is done up.

SiB
    @gadgetman.

I'm being careful and trying to avoid a fubar.

Lens n bezel off. White disc exposed no screws n two short wires soldered on.

Do I desolder in situ or is there some play in those wires n I pull out a little first?

I then soak the removed led disc in petrol right??

Just wanting to get it right and figuring there'll be one or two others wondering if they shld or shldnt attempt!

Tx. Si

Yes there is play on those wires and you do want to lift it as you de-solder otherwise the huge heat sinking of the head will overwhelm your attempts. I only soak in petrol if the dome is too hard or there is a little bit of the dome material left on the LED surface. If left in petrol too long it will dissolve the phosphorous surface.

SiB
    Ok....

So what's the best way to dedome pls? Mine looks to be on solid.

I'd assumed the gas soak for 2-3 mins max?

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    ... and have you checked them with a voltmeter after charging?
    Seeing as it's "20 questions for Gadgetman" time, what voltage should they be when fully charged? I know they're rated at 3.7v, but think I read somewhere that charged should be around 4.2v?

Have been having issues with decreased runtime with the M24, but not sure if it's the torch, the batteries, or the new charger (i4) I got at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    Ok....

So what's the best way to dedome pls? Mine looks to be on solid.

I'd assumed the gas soak for 2-3 mins max?
    Usually takes a few hours. I prefer to add heat from under the board until you feel the dome soften then gently lift the dome off from the side opposite the wires inside. 95% of the time it comes off extremely cleanly. I have plenty of spare LED's if it goes pear shaped.

Rotate the board a little then pry it up. It will be forming a vacuum under it with the heat sink compound.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    Seeing as it's "20 questions for Gadgetman" time, what voltage should they be when fully charged? I know they're rated at 3.7v, but think I read somewhere that charged should be around 4.2v?

Have been having issues with decreased runtime with the M24, but not sure if it's the torch, the batteries, or the new charger (i4) I got at the same time.
    Yes fully charged they should be 4.2V or very close to it. If the runtime is reducing it is normally the batteries.