Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Pack Recommendations

Ended up checking out all the packs on my list and rejecting them all.

Tatonka Bison just would not adjust down to my back length.

Macpac Cascade straps and buckles have been shrunk and now feel tinny and cheap compared to my 25 year old Pursuit.

Osprey Aether plus, a million small pockets and zips everywhere and just not a style of pack I would ever get used to.

So to some up I bought a Spika Drover 80L which is a single pack with removable lid and pack can be removed from carrying frame, it cinched down well to fit me and has a couple of features I like as it includes a rain cover, waist belt pockets and rifle scabbard as standard all of which are removable. In the lid it even has bullet loops of elastic. Overall not the lightest pack but very solid material, buckles and straps.

It actually reminds me of the early canvas Macpacs and is what I would have expected modern Macpacs to be but they are not.

Once I have had a chance to test it out will put up a bit of a review.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Ended up checking out all the packs on my list and rejecting them all.

Tatonka Bison just would not adjust down to my back length.

Macpac Cascade straps and buckles have been shrunk and now feel tinny and cheap compared to my 25 year old Pursuit.

Osprey Aether plus, a million small pockets and zips everywhere and just not a style of pack I would ever get used to.

So to some up I bought a Spika Drover 80L which is a single pack with removable lid and pack can be removed from carrying frame, it cinched down well to fit me and has a couple of features I like as it includes a rain cover, waist belt pockets and rifle scabbard as standard all of which are removable. In the lid it even has bullet loops of elastic. Overall not the lightest pack but very solid material, buckles and straps.

It actually reminds me of the early canvas Macpacs and is what I would have expected modern Macpacs to be but they are not.

Once I have had a chance to test it out will put up a bit of a review.
    Yeah mate I actually really like mine. I ended up going with the drover as well but the 40L for overnighters. Like the fact you can purchase the 80L and have an interchangeable frame.

A mate of mine has the Kuiu which is a tad lighter but to be fair not a heck of a lot more. I really rate it.
    Happy Jack likes this.

Has anyone got a hunters element summit pack? They look like great value since they have the scabbard, raincover and ammo belt pocket all in one package. I've been looking at getting one but I haven't heard anything about them.

Quote Originally Posted by webbros View Post
    Has anyone got a hunters element summit pack? They look like great value since they have the scabbard, raincover and ammo belt pocket all in one package. I've been looking at getting one but I haven't heard anything about them.
    Honestly, stick to a dedicated pack maker man. They may have improved (their clothing appears to have improved a lot) but they used to be shite quality with bits breaking and falling off left right and center
    Carbine and paremata like this.

I was wondering that, I went and had a look at one yesterday and it was really squeaky with the material rubbing on the polls, wasn't too keen on trying to sneak around the kaimais sounding like R2D2
    Nick-D likes this.