Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Sleeping Bag Q's

Nice looking pack possum shooter. I'd be a bit concerned over the weight rating though. Depends on your gear I guess.

K95
    I'm going to get a mont bell 800 #5 and a big agnes synthetic bag and also a synthetic liner to change between them.
    The mont bell bags seem to be the best value for lightweight down bags.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

I've got one of these.

Western Mountaineering
    K95 likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

K95
    That's light. What did it sting you to your door?
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

Settled on an Exped ultralite 500 (long). Went in to bivouac to try some and there was a sale on, walked out with it.

Bit heavier than some at 820grams (-1 limit) but I liked the width once I was in it. The sea to summits I could barely fit in, must be made for bean poles, and looking at stats the Expeds are some of the widest so I guess that costs you weight.

Stuffs down very nicely indeed - about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the cheap synthetic monstrosity I was using. Very happy.

Was thinking about a montbell but I just can't be assed with the whole $400+ customs thing any more. Paid those blood suckers enough last year in duty. Having it's desired effect I suppose though - forcing me to get ripped by NZ retailers . God I miss the old $700 duty limit!

Everything fits in the Eberlestock pack with it fully folded up and compressed now, including food and water for a couple of days. Click a couple of releases and fold it out to fit a shitload of meat so I don't have to leave some like last time!

Being 6"4 I have always had problems with bloody tight bags then I brought a Domex Copland Large bag bloody good bag with plenty of room to move.

Quote Originally Posted by K95 View Post
    That's light. What did it sting you to your door?
    I got it when I was in the States so saved on the freight, got sick of carrying my macpac one (1.7kg) around in summer to sleep on top of it cos it's too hot!
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by 25 /08 IMP View Post
    Being 6"4 I have always had problems with bloody tight bags then I brought a Domex Copland Large bag bloody good bag with plenty of room to move.
    I'm only 6ft 2 so you must have even more issues. To me the strangest thing is that most companies make Longs or Xtra Longs, but often the width either doesn't change or barely changes. As if us bigger guys are going to be as narrow as the small/avg people. It's probably a side effect of the weight game and nobody wants to make a 1.2kg ultralight that actually fits a tall/broad person when all of their competitors are making these narrow as fuck but 220cm long XXL's that weigh 900grams.

I would have gone another 20cm wider if I could. In fact looking at their website the Exped Comforts are only slightly heavier and much, much roomier. Will go and take a look and maybe exchange.

I've got one bag. In the summer its a hot cu*t of a thing most of the time....but then sometimes summer in the bush can be miserable and I'm rapt I've got it!

No such thing as a perfect bag. Get a good warm one. Open it out in Summer a bit and sweet in Winter.

Get used to carrying it. If you cant carry an extra 500 grams of down you are going to find it tough with 20 - 30 kg veni!

You can drive yourself mad with the need to buy light gear when a few runs will sort your fitness.....and less steiny pure. I know because it bites my arse everytime I head out!!
    Boulderman likes this.

Good points. As mentioned above i'm gunna head back in tomorrow and take a look at the Comforts. Probably go to a -6 one, and nice and comfortable and able to roll over inside it, etc. As you say what's another 200 grams. It was more the stuff size I wanted, but after getting home with the ultralite I have so much extra room over my old $70 synthetic that again...a bit less compressed won't matter 2 shits.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    Good points. As mentioned above i'm gunna head back in tomorrow and take a look at the Comforts. Probably go to a -6 one, and nice and comfortable and able to roll over inside it, etc. As you say what's another 200 grams. It was more the stuff size I wanted, but after getting home with the ultralite I have so much extra room over my old $70 synthetic that again...a bit less compressed won't matter 2 shits.
    I'd definitely go the warmer bag. I too have the Everest, like Kiwi Hunter obviously has, and have been cold in that sleeping in a caravan in Christchurch when it got to -12 (aluminium isn't a good insulator). Being a skinny, bony little squirt I roll around a lot at night and prefer a narrow bag so that when I roll over it rolls with me keeping my nose pointing out the face hole and avoiding moving warm air out and cold air in.
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Boxing, Hunting, Fishing steelcaps's Avatar
    Whats everyones thoughts on the stoney creek black stag? Worth the $$?

I've got a Kathmandu bag , I rate it its got a water repellant base with non slip thingies on bottom as well ( stop your mat pissing off in the night ) . Go hotter than you need as over time they loose there warmth . I use mine as a throw as too dam hot and stops the cramps . Only zip up when it's real real cold .
    Only buy when on there 50% off deals , as they are over priced normally . Well worth a look anyways
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Went back and swapped it for the Comfort 600 (-6 limit). Much much roomier so fits me well with arms in, and quite a bit warmer too. Still packs down nicely but is about 200grams heavier and probably about 1/3 larger when packed down compared to the Ultralite. But i'd prefer the bit of extra weight/size for the comfort/warmth and it's also more aligned with my other gear. As mentioned i've been making do with your regular size el-cheapo synthetic monstrosity that weighs about 2kg's. The Comfort is still about half the packed size of that, if not even less, and much warmer.

So my sleeping system is now a TarpTent StratoSpire 2, Exped Downmat 9 (Long Wide) and an Exped Comfort 600 (Long). Luxury in the bush? For not much weight either - tent (1300grams) + mat (1200grams) + bag (1100grams) = 3600 or 3.6kg's. Oh and don't forget the Exped Air Pillow (50grams haha). I couldn't resist, leave me alone . Tent is also good for two so any hunting buddy can just carry their bag and mat.
    gadgetman likes this.

Looks good matt. Im going for a light weight set up for summer as I have some good gear but don't see the point carrying extra weight in summer. Im looking at the exped ultalight 300 bag at 750gms an exped ul7 matt at 450gms and a stony creek fly at 450 gms. So just over 1.6 kg. This is only for summer. I can switch to a decent bag and 4 season alpine tent for on the tops etc