Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Sleeping Bag Q's

Quote Originally Posted by kokako View Post
    Yip, warm and moist. It's easy to open it up and cool down, than freeze all night when it turns to shite.
    Well that is true I guess but I just hate being too hot to sleep (3 months of the year at home)
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Well that is true I guess but I just hate being too hot to sleep (3 months of the year at home)
    Me too! But I am very happy with the temp in Nelson after three weeks in Brisbane. 39 during the day and lows of 28 overnight with now AC!

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    -5 deg comfort for summer? does it keep your vagina warm enough?
    Nothing worse than a frosty vaj
    veitnamcam, kokako, Dougie and 2 others like this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Nothing worse than a frosty vaj
    Nah, not nice for both involved!

Pardon me for being thick but don't most people have a summer sleeping bag and a winter / 3 seasons sleeping bag?

Quote Originally Posted by JRW87 View Post
    Im seriously thinking about getting a polar fleece blanket, folding it in half then sewing the bottom up and the bottom quarter of the side up to use in summer, I get far too hot in my down bag in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Pardon me for being thick but don't most people have a summer sleeping bag and a winter / 3 seasons sleeping bag?
    My understanding was a 3 season bag (summer, spring, autumn) and then a winter bag. But, yeah - 2 bags.

I'd like to avoid that if possible though and just do it with 1. Which is why I'm hoping I can use a zero'ish bag with clothes in winter, and unzip it a bit or use it as a blanket on warmer nights. Sounds like kokako does similar - anyone else get away with one in all 4 seasons?

And thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'm checking them out.

Macpac seem to be pretty non-competitive weight wise. I've also noticed they're always very reluctant to put proper specs on their site like packed down size, detailed measurements, etc. They seem to have gone downhill and weren't competitive in terms of weight/quality/price with tents or mats either.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    I use a 3 season bag for 4 seasons myself.

Mines minus 5 comfort with base layer

So in warm conditions I unzip it the whole way and sleep in my liner and or de layer clothes if necessary

+1 for mont bell and dads got a macpac rated ti the same as mine but he said it could be better forvthe price
    #BallisticFists

I've been looking at some of the Exped bags that are very light weight. Anyone used them?

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    I prefer down, for a weight to warmth ratio it's hard to beat, but I use an inner bag, or liner (to keep the body oils away from the down), and a waterproof outer bag (which also keeps my therma rest from rolling away)' this also means that everything stays dry, even when sleeping in snow caves.
    All of my gear is older MacPac stuff, not sure if now I would still go with them as they are not the brand they used to be.
    Apparently there is a really good U.S. army system at the moment, you tube it and eBay it.
    I had one of their modular sleeping bag systems but didn't rate it. It was massively bulky and the big bag wasn't particularly good quality. The best things about it were that it all attaches together with button presses, lining the zips up. The summer weight bag wasn't too bad though. The best I had was a high peak xtreme pak (supposed to be rated to - 18), I have used it in the snow a bit but by adding a thermalite reactor liner makes it ideal for just about any temperature

I picked up a Macpac express 400 bag. Weighs about 850g, packs down smaller than my 700g bag. I will probably use it for everything apart from winter tahr trips. It is quite narrow at the feet but isn't uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by possum_shooter View Post
    I've been looking at some of the Exped bags that are very light weight. Anyone used them?
    Haven't used their bags but I'm a big fan after using their mats. They make good stuff and I'm thinking about 1 of their bags too.

Those Montbell's look good too. Wow at the weight - 750g for a -5 deg long one.

Edit - someone mentioned the US Army system? Extremely heavy and large by the looks of it. Looked like it'd fill my entire pack up with that and nothing else (assuming I leave room for meat). Understandable I suppose....mass produced and built to a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    Haven't used their bags but I'm a big fan after using their mats. They make good stuff and I'm thinking about 1 of their bags too.

Those Montbell's look good too. Wow at the weight - 750g for a -5 deg long one.

Edit - someone mentioned the US Army system? Extremely heavy and large by the looks of it. Looked like it'd fill my entire pack up with that and nothing else (assuming I leave room for meat). Understandable I suppose....mass produced and built to a budget.

Yeah I've got one of their matts and I've had a 4 season alpine tent from Exped for about 5 years plus that has been in some pretty rough weather above 2000m and its held up really well. Also looking at their light weight pack that has $100 off at the moment
    Exped Men's Lightning 60 Lightweight Pack - Bivouac Online Store

A quick read of this, not shore if your hunting is 4 seasons?
    My bag is -14 and I have been cold in it, when I was testing the Hennessey hammock winter pad.
    In summer I can sleep on top or open it up like a blanket.
    This is one bit of gear that can save your life!( so cost doesn't come into it) and a good sleep when you are putting in max effort is needed for recovery.
    As for a down bag, Sir Ed used it
    KH
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi-Hunter View Post
    A quick read of this, not shore if your hunting is 4 seasons?
    My bag is -14 and I have been cold in it, when I was testing the Hennessey hammock winter pad.
    In summer I can sleep on top or open it up like a blanket.
    This is one bit of gear that can save your life!( so cost doesn't come into it) and a good sleep when you are putting in max effort is needed for recovery.
    As for a down bag, Sir Ed used it
    KH
    You're on the money - I haven't been in the hills in winter yet. Is it completely hopeless to try do it with a -5 bag?

I don't want to be dangerous or anything but I assume -5 rating would be on its own, without a good mat, and without clothing? If this is true then to what temp can you be comfortable WITH those things? Anyone?