Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Smart watches - Garmin, Suunto or ? and hunting

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    no way your paying $1500 for a watch bro
    Piss off you! I've been saving since I was seven. Already spoken to the bank four times, we're okay financially... just.
    caberslash likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    I have the Fenix 6x Pro Solar - the solar is a bit of a gimmick therefore I had to have it. Garmin got GPS watches right with the Fenix 5x and the 6x wasn't really that different. On battery save mode it lasts for 80 days, and you can still take way points but have tracking turned off. It is a good back up for the 66i and super convenient being on your wrist.
    The Fenix 5 sounds promising

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Shot View Post
    Piss off you! I've been saving since I was seven. Already spoken to the bank four times, we're okay financially... just.
    Were is the tears of laughter emoji that will do
    caberslash likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Were is the tears of laughter emoji that will do
    Hope you’ve consulted both bank managers

If your only wanting compass / alt / baro the g shock range is another option, I have the rangeman (iirc not on my wrist as I got a nasty burn and it rubs on it) solar battery so no need to change it

A mate began using a garmin 6pro to hunt with and he pissed off all his other gps tools and just used that. He's a real minimalist like a lot of the guys on here are. So i followed suit after we did one hunt and let the garmin watch guide us about for the day. It never broke contact with the sats despite being in dense forest.

As for being a good watch all round, i break everything but this watch has no war wounds (yet). It captures ride data, runs, heart rate, even quantifies how shit my last sleep was. Oh and it reminds me that each cold is get isnt covid and i do have oxygen in my blood (if i get ocd and check).
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

I've got a Garmin fenix 6X sapphire, the glass has been through heaps of dodgy shit and there isn't a mark on it. It's a great all rounder watch.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Like a few here I have the Garmin Fenix. Started with a 3HR, now have a 6X Sapphire. Very good watch, tough as nails (Sapphire glass) and has all the functions I need (plus a bunch I will never use). The 3 was fine but as I've gotten older I needed the better screen of the 6 to see it.
    Make sure you understand the difference between the variants of each version as there is a bit of difference should you go Garmin.
    Mine is mostly used for the Golf function to be honest but I also use it with MTB (I may look to use Strava with the watch), and Hike app. I also run TruFlite ballistics app on it. It functions well and has removed the need for a phone to get shooting solutions. I have also shelved my GPS as the screen on the watch face is more than sufficient with the larger X model.
    Savage1, Tikka7mm08, Pengy and 1 others like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Have a normal fenix 5 and honestly when (and its been going strong for 4 years) it dies I'm buying another fenix. The mapping/way points are really handy and TruFlite app lines up with my strelok Pro out to 1000m, so that brilliant. For day to day it's actually quite a nice looking watch too and lastly it's Packed with the best tech and I'd say the best all rounder. Mine has also been through everything and still looks great.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Tru-flite.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    chainsaw and PadLo like this.

All we need now is a self adjusting bluetooth scope with sapphire glass and someone to carry the rifle
    Tikka7mm08 and chainsaw like this.

Tru-flite.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    Is that the 5XXL. Makes your wrist look very small 😆
    Seriously though. Are you using the free version or have you paid for the Pro version? $20 to get multiple profiles sounds cheap enough for me.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

I have the wrists of a 5 year old

I think this is the free one. Have CDS on 308 so will just set this up for 280AI. Seems to have lost that data in firmware upgrade this week.

I have the wrists of a 5 year old

I think this is the free one. Have CDS on 308 so will just set this up for 280AI. Seems to have lost that data in firmware upgrade this week.
    Yes. I too have lost my data. PITA but not hard to re-enter. Somehow I have removed the app and can't get it to re-install now.

Syncing through Garmin Express?